Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best RAW converter for EOS7D?  (Read 6063 times)

adam z

Best RAW converter for EOS7D?
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:30 am »

Sorry if this is not the best place to post, however I didn't want to post it in a specific RAW converter section.

Is there any one RAW converter other than DPP that stands out as getting the best from 7D RAW files. I cannot say I am a fan of using DPP.

tokengirl

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:16:54 am »

It's kind of a subjective question.  Most of them have free 30-day trials, so you can see which one works best for you.  I am extremely happy with Lightroom 3 (I am using a 5DMkII and a 40D).

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:12:34 pm »

ACR 6.1 as part of Adobe Photoshop CS5 has excellent noise reduction tools.
Gerald J Skrocki

condit79

• http://calebcondit.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:14 pm »

I'd say the fastest and easiest to get the color that you see on your lcd is to use the supplied dpp software.  I use lightroom a lot when I have big shoots because i'll come up with a setting I like to start and its a bit faster to cull through 2000+ images from my shoots.  Some swear by Capture One, but then its all down to preference in the end.  Try DPP and see what you think and if you need to do serious color tweaking then maybe move to lightroom.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:56 pm »

Lightroom and Photoshop share the same raw converter.
Gerald J Skrocki

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:07:53 pm »

If you don't audition Capture One you haven't done due diligence.

Disclaimer: I have no interest, financial or otherwise. I use C1 as well as Lightroom.
Jack Varney

Vitantonio Dell Orto

• Exuvia, Vitantonio Dell'Orto Nature Photography
Re: Best RAW converter for EOS7D?
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:57:26 am »

All in all Capture One is the best of the bunch, but everyone has its own plus and minus, so it's also a matter of personal taste. For example, I use Silkypix for regular conversions, because of its wonderful color rendition and brilliance, and the CA, rotation and perspective correction tools (the best of any Raw converter in my opinion), but when it comes to exploit the whole resolution for big prints, I rather go with C1 or Lightroom (I do not use LR on regular basis also because I hate its way to force you to handle libraries). You can try them all, and do not forget Bibble Pro 5, which is the fastest, by far, or DxO which is the most "authomatic".
--
Vitantonio Dell'Orto
Nature Photographer in Särna, Sweden.
www.exuviaphoto.com
www.sarnavandrarhem.com

kpmedia

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »

I use ACR the most.
But DxO can be interesting. I've used it a good bit here and there. Worth trying out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:04:50 pm by kpmedia »
Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »

Choosing a RAW converter has as much to do with workflow and style as it does with results.  But if you start by checking out the free 30-day trials of C1 and LR3, you can't go far wrong.  And as mentioned, if you already have CS5, then you also already have the guts of LR3 as RAW converter (as opposed to image manager database) in ACR 5.1.

Nill

Bullfrog

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:37:45 pm »

I have EOS7D and LR 2.1 and CS4 - I think the earlier post was correct in saying its all preference and workflow.

I tend to take 300 images at a time and often only choose one or two -( I shoot wildlife and often shoot many frames in rapid succession)

Anyway,  I use Canon's utility to view them as CR2 file - the one or two I like I just import into CS4 and do all (or 99%) post processing there.

I do find if you "shoot to the right" then really, it doesn't matter - no light means no data and you cannot process what you don't have.

K.C.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »

Is there any one RAW converter other than DPP that stands out as getting the best from 7D RAW files.

Define best.

rubbingpixels

• Rubbing Pixels - Edit like a pro
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 06:07:46 am »

You cant go past ACR and Lightroom for editing your files (latest versions) but to get the most from your 7D files with these programs it will really come down to how much effort has gone into your capture with maximizing your shadow detail and controlling your highlights, so basically detailed histogram shooting.
Matt Lauder
Rubbing Pixels - Edit like a Pro
Shooting and Editing Techniques for Landscape Photographers
www.rubbingpixels.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up