Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on 120 roll film  (Read 4070 times)

jools230575

• Julian Elliott Photography
Question on 120 roll film
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:20 pm »

Good evening folks

Today I became the proud owner of a Hasselblad 501CM with an 80mm CB lens. I am stoked  

Having been a user of 35mm for a couple of years I am used to very easy thing that the film is wound back into the canister after you have finished the roll. Obviously, 120 roll film is another animal.

Once finished, is it best to take the film out in a darkened room? Is it ok to do all the winding that you can and then take it out in the regular light of the day, then just tape down the end of the roll?

Complete beginner on this, as you can tell;)

Thanks.

Jools

PS and a BIG thanks to all who offered opinions on getting a Hassie

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

It's ok to take out in the light - ensure you have wound the entire roll to the receiving spool before opening the back, and don't drop it so it starts to unwind...

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »

Congrats!  120 film doesn't have a canister like 35mm film, as you know, so you must wind it to the end to get it off the spool.  The spool you wind it off of becomes the take-up spool for your next roll.  You don't need complete darkness to remove the film but I wouldn't do it in direct sunlight either.  Shade is good.  Once you've removed the spool from the back, you'll find a little tab on the end of the rool you can fold under, and a strip of paper around the middle that you can lick and stick down to keep the film coiled around the spool.  Depending on how long you're going to keep the film before processing, I usually wrap them in aluminum foil and keep them in the fridge (short-term) or freezer (long-term).  With summer temperatures bouncing up around the northern hempisphere, keep in mind that if film gets too hot the emulsion can separate from the backing.  Don't keep it in the glove box or the trunk of your car...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

tokengirl

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »

Quote from: jools230575
Having been a user of 35mm for a couple of years I am used to very easy thing that the film is wound back into the canister after you have finished the roll. Obviously, 120 roll film is another animal.

Once finished, is it best to take the film out in a darkened room? Is it ok to do all the winding that you can and then take it out in the regular light of the day, then just tape down the end of the roll?

I'm glad you asked this question, as I was wondering the same thing (I just got a Horseman 6X7 120 roll film back on eBay and I'm using it to make a pinhole camera).

Congratulations on your Hassie.  

sojournerphoto

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »

Quote from: tokengirl
I'm glad you asked this question, as I was wondering the same thing (I just got a Horseman 6X7 120 roll film back on eBay and I'm using it to make a pinhole camera).

Congratulations on your Hassie.  

tokengirl, you're going to have fun! I have the roll adaptor from my granfathers 'W H Junior', which is a little collapsible 6 by 9 with limited movement on the front standard waiting a similar fate.

jools, conratulations on the Hassie

Mike
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:31:26 pm by sojournerphoto »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:01:26 pm »

Good evening folks

Today I became the proud owner of a Hasselblad 501CM with an 80mm CB lens. I am stoked  

Thanks.

Jools

PS and a BIG thanks to all who offered opinions on getting a Hassie

If your aren't familiar with the "care and feeding" of a 500 series Hasselblad, I would recommend looking on e-bay for a copy of Ernst Wildi's "the Hasselblad Manual".  The later editions, I think it now up to the 7th,  are progressively more "H" body.  The 5th is a good compromise.

Steve

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
... a strip of paper around the middle that you can lick and stick down to keep the film coiled around the spool..
And you might discover different films have different flavors... so you may like Velvia color, but actually prefer to lick, say, Agfa

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:07 am »

Jools

Just a word of warning - it is very easy to load the film the wrong way round on a 'Blad magazine. Make sure that the backing paper comes off the full spool under the reel, so that the black side of the backing paper is face-up as it goes across the pressure plate on its way to the take-up spool.

Don't ask me how I found this out (many, many years ago)  

When you have fired frame 12, wind the film through using the little crank on the side of the magazine with your ear against the mag. You will hear the end of the film come through the gate and feel the resistance slacken. The spring tensioner in the mag will keep the roll tight until you unload. If you are reloading in the field, find a shady spot - no direct sunlight! Obviously it is better to get a spare magazine (less than £100 s/h these days) so that you can just swap loaded mags.

John
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:26:25 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

jools230575

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:58:40 am »

Thanks for the that.

I was canny enough to go to the shop who was selling it yesterday and got them explain the loading of the film. You Tube has also been helpful in that respect.

Where the large area is on the film back there is a small metal notch. Is the film supposed to go underneath this?

Geoffrey

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:21:26 am »

Great fun to read this. I remember having to load 120 film while on the run years back (an improvement on the walking and chewing gum test).  Things we used to do....

John R Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:41:25 am »

Thanks for the that.

I was canny enough to go to the shop who was selling it yesterday and got them explain the loading of the film. You Tube has also been helpful in that respect.

Where the large area is on the film back there is a small metal notch. Is the film supposed to go underneath this?

Jools

You really need to get hold of a 500 user guide. There are free downloads on the net -

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/Index.aspx

When you load the film, you set the release key on the side of the magazine insert to the released position, so that the pressure plate is pulled back from that metal tab. The film and backing paper should then slide underneath this tab. You can then turn the key so that the film is pinned tightly beneath the tab while you get the tapered end onto the take-up spool, and the film will not fly about all over the place while you are doing so. It is best to buy a couple of rolls of cheap, out of date B/W film and just use them to practice loading a few times. Once you get the hang of it you can actually reload quite quickly. But you see now why wedding photographers always used to have an assistant!

John
an

John R Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:57:45 am »

Sorry, Jools, perhaps your camera is a bit more recent than the link above!

This is a manual for the 501 -

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/media/c11bf2ea...d46164-501C.pdf

But you may need to create a user account at the Hasselblad UK site before you can access it.

John
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:00:39 am by John R Smith »
an

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:48:32 am »

One other thing:  When you have completed the roll and rolled off to the end, remove the film immediately.  If you don't slack creeps into the roll and can cause edge fog when the back is opened.  So get the film out immediately or very soon after completing roll and roll tightly and tape.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

vandevanterSH

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »

Jools

You really need to get hold of a 500 user guide. There are free downloads on the net -
Or the "Manual"...Hasselblads are pretty straight forward but there are procedures for loading film,  changing lenses, etc. that if not done properly can "jam up the works".

Steve

jools230575

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:30:07 pm »

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations folks. I do have an actual manual but I'm a typical bloke and kind of gloss over bits.

In the end I found out how to raise the bit where the film goes under. Of course, it was simple really;) Now all I need is some Velvia and a new adaptor to use my Lee Filters

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »

Good evening folks

I remember, a few decades ago, there was a thread somewhere "101 way not to get a photo with a Hasselblad".

Pay attention to making sure that the shutter is cocked and everything is lined up correctly before re|de-attaching the lens.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up