Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DR, DxO, DSLR, MFDB, CMOS, CCD  (Read 32155 times)

ejmartin

DR, DxO, DSLR, MFDB, CMOS, CCD
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:40 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Emil,

I am not questioning DxO. I am just trying to understand what some of the folks here mean when they say that the DxO figure doesn't reflect the actual real world DR they see in their files.

Until now the only concrete aspect that has been mentioned is the look of noise. So in essence does "the 6 stops more DR" just point to the fact that the 5DII has banding issues in deep shadows?

Cheers,
Bernard

I suspect that may be some of it.  Pattern noise is a big problem with low ISO shadows in Canon DSLR's, much less so with current Nikons, especially the D3x.  I have also recently discovered that there is a strong interaction among color separation in the CFA, sensor noise characteristics, and color space conversion.  dcraw uses a simple matrix profile for converted demosaiced raw color to the output color space.  Here is the Red channel of a 5D2 file, ISO 100, from Imaging-Resource -- before and after color space conversion to sRGB, using dcraw with my own demosaic algorithm:

Canon has recently adopted a strategy of making their R channel color filter more or less Yellow in sRGB terms.  The loss of saturation in R requires a boost in color saturation during color space conversion, which exacerbates noise.  I suspect that commercial converters, to the extent that they don't exhibit this problem, are doing some chroma NR under the hood.  Certainly ACR has less pattern noise in R than the above example when output to sRGB.

Edit: People might also be interested in a comparison of the Red channel of this image for different DSLR's:

I chose the R channel because it will show the greatest effect -- typical tungsten white balance will amplify the R channel by a stop or more, and reveal noise more than G or B.  There is also the camera-dependent effect of sRGB conversion, as mentioned above
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:05:29 am by ejmartin »
emil

joofa

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 12:28:39 am »

Quote from: ejmartin
On the contrary, it has a lot to do with DR.  Engineering DR is quite close to the range of tonal values over which pixel SNR exceeds unity, which condition is closely tied to the ability to extract details at the pixel scale.

I don't think so. First of all we have to be follow the engineering tradition on how DR has been defined. I don't think so that I have come across the notion of a "text-based-DR" exactly in the terms as described here. Such notions, of course, do exist, but as I said in the realm of image quality (IQ). IQ and DR are not necessarily the same and we should not mix them.

Secondly, you can take a "high-text-DR" image and just slightly blur the boundaries of the text leaving everything the same. The text will be difficult to read now. Has the DR changed now? If it has, does it mean that the so called "image DR" is only defined on the edges of the text? What about the rest of the image? Does it not contribute to the image DR? Unfortunately, IMHO, if you tread this path there will be no shortage of such questions to answer.

The notion of DR is pretty clear in engineering circles and I don't think that such "text-based-DR" is how it has been traditionally treated in the image sensor community.

Joofa
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:43 am »

Hi,

Resolution alone my by a differentiator.The flexibility you mention is a great plus. I also suspect that many MF lenses are pretty good. That said, my experience with my Pentax 67 is that the lenses have some shortcomings, like quite intensive chromatic aberrations. The Pentax 67 has produced a few stunning images (using scanned slide film), but if you pixel peep the image files quality falls apart. It's my understanding that Hasselblad switched to self designed lenses built by Fuji Film (?) because the new lenses have better performance.

In some cases it's important to have professional equipment like other pros. For Landscape shooters that probably does not matter. My guess is resolution counts a lot.

If we go back to your favorite topic (sorry for the pun), the Nikon D3X is considered to be to expensive. So there is a tendency that P65+ get compared with Canon 1DsIII and Canon 5DII.

Now, according to DxO at least, the Nikon D3X has a very real advantage in DR over Canon 5DII. I don't know how Nikon achieves that performance. Lloyd Chambers has gone into quite intensive comparisons between Canon 5DII and Nikon D3X and finds Nikon vastly superior on detail in darks. There is also a tendency that folks have Canon stuff. Than they go to Phase when they build a new system. It's not a bad strategy, if you can afford it. Most Phase lenses (And Hasselblad HC-lenses) seem to be impressive and not that expensive. Especially Canon seems to have some struggle in the short end.

One area that I think gets to little attention is flare and the camera itself. In a well designed optical system all light not contributing to the image should be absorbed. This is an are where MF equipment may actually excel, this however has nothing to do with sensor design. Lens and system flare is very hard to measure.

Best regards
Erik

Off topic indeed, but so much fun.

If the backs are so much better, why are like new second hand 39 megapixel backs selling at the same price point as the D3x?

More seriously, there are many valid reasons why people might want to keep using backs regardless of their DR:
- They have the platform and lenses and like them,
- They like the look of AA filter less files,
- They are used to subtle DoF effects related to the large size of the sensor,
- Backs can be mounted on a variety of plarforms (including LF cameras),
- The sensor is easier to clean,
- Backs feel/look more profesional,
- It creates a differentiator relative to other photographers unable to afford a back,
- They like thethered shooting for which backs have been optimized,
- They have a personnal relationship with their back dealer that they would be unable to find with Canon/Nikon,
- They are able to meet Phaseone R&D guys and to influence their directions but wouldn't be able to do the same with Canon/Nikon,

That is what I find most irritating about this whole DR story. Backs don't need to oversell their DR using mythical and un-provable qualities, they have enough going for themselves already.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:54:08 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2010, 02:11:49 am »

Emil,

I see your point, I think. Actually I think that DxO also discusses this, or a similar issue. The samples you show are "red channel" on sensor and red channel on an sRGB image generated using all channels?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Our-pu...vs.-Nikon-D5000

I presume that it's possible to aim for high ISO by having CFAs having broad spectral transmission characteristics and fix the colors in post?

Best regards
Erik

I suspect that may be some of it.  Pattern noise is a big problem with low ISO shadows in Canon DSLR's, much less so with current Nikons, especially the D3x.  I have also recently discovered that there is a strong interaction among color separation in the CFA, sensor noise characteristics, and color space conversion.  dcraw uses a simple matrix profile for converted demosaiced raw color to the output color space.  Here is the Red channel of a 5D2 file, ISO 100, from Imaging-Resource -- before and after color space conversion to sRGB, using dcraw with my own demosaic algorithm:

Canon has recently adopted a strategy of making their R channel color filter more or less Yellow in sRGB terms.  The loss of saturation in R requires a boost in color saturation during color space conversion, which exacerbates noise.  I suspect that commercial converters, to the extent that they don't exhibit this problem, are doing some chroma NR under the hood.  Certainly ACR has less pattern noise in R than the above example when output to sRGB.
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 03:17:00 am »

Off topic indeed, but so much fun.

If the backs are so much better, why are like new second hand 39 megapixel backs selling at the same price point as the D3x?

More seriously, there are many valid reasons why people might want to keep using backs regardless of their DR:
- They have the platform and lenses and like them,
- They like the look of AA filter less files,
- They are used to subtle DoF effects related to the large size of the sensor,
- Backs can be mounted on a variety of plarforms (including LF cameras),
- The sensor is easier to clean,
- Backs feel/look more profesional,
- It creates a differentiator relative to other photographers unable to afford a back,
- They like thethered shooting for which backs have been optimized,
- They have a personnal relationship with their back dealer that they would be unable to find with Canon/Nikon,
- They are able to meet Phaseone R&D guys and to influence their directions but wouldn't be able to do the same with Canon/Nikon,

That is what I find most irritating about this whole DR story. Backs don't need to oversell their DR using mythical and un-provable qualities, they have enough going for themselves already.

Cheers,
Bernard
Bernard,
I agree 100% with your post here.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 04:53:43 am »

Hi,

Summing it up this far...

We had some very knowledgeable persons chiming in.

• It is my understanding that there seems to be some consensus that we cannot see any reasons for MFDBs having more than maximum one stop advantage in DR over DSLRs.
  • Posters seem to regard DxO data as relevant, at least if we dig a bit deeper in the data.
  • It seems also quite obvious that Nikon D3X has pushed the envelope in DSLRs and Canon have some problem with pattern noise.
  • Emil Martinec confirms my initial suggestion that extended DR in MFDBs should also result in good high ISO performance.
  • Emil also looks at the behavior of the CGA (Color Grid Array), Canon seems to have a CGA design on recent designs that does not map smoothly on sRGB primaries.
  • There is some discussion on resolving textures within the concept of DR but no consensus.

Bernard points out that there are plenty of reasons for using MFDBs over DSLR aside from the purported advantage in DR. A very good point.

Thanks for good input and a civilized discussion. Looking forward to the continued discussion.

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

There are a lot of discussion about DR (Dynamic Range) on this forum. It is quite obvious that persons with considerable experience have quite different opinion on the issue.

- One thing that I suppose we all agree on is that bigger is better as long as Depth Of Field is not an issue. A bigger sensor collects more photons and therefore will have better photon statistics. If we assume an MFDB sensor having the double area of a FX (Full Frame) sensor the theoretical advantage would be about a half stop.

- It is my understanding that normally the noise floor is dominated by shot noise (statistical variation of incident photons) and in the darks possibly by read noise. It is also my understanding that read noise is less on DSLRs than on MFDBs. The number of electrons each pixel can hold is about the same on sensors having the same pitch

So according to the above we would never see an advantage in excess of say one stop maximum on MFDBs over full frame DSLRs. DxO labs publishes detailed measurements that pretty much are consistent with the above observations.

It is my understanding that if we correctly expose right we would essentially have non specular highlights near saturation. In this case DR would show up as latitude for underexposure quite similar to increasing ISO. As a matter of fact, on MFDBs not having variable pre amplifiers underexposure would work identical to high ISO settings.

We would expect that if a camera A would have a 4 stop advantage in DR over another camera B it would perform identical to camera B at 16 times the ISO. So would an MFDB have a 4 stop advantage it would achieve the same image quality at 1600 ISO as the lesser camera at 100 ISO. But it seems that this is clearly not the case. MFDBs don't perform very well at high ISOs (except the PXX+ series).

Now, many experienced observers clearly see a 4-6 stop advantage with MFDBs over DSLRs. I don't have any issue with that, but I cannot understand where it is coming from.

It would be very nice if some could come up with a physically feasible explanation for MFDBs having a significant advantage in DR or samples clearly demonstrating the effect.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:55:32 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Ray

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 08:09:29 am »

Quote from: joofa
I don't think so. First of all we have to be follow the engineering tradition on how DR has been defined. I don't think so that I have come across the notion of a "text-based-DR" exactly in the terms as described here. Such notions, of course, do exist, but as I said in the realm of image quality (IQ). IQ and DR are not necessarily the same and we should not mix them.

Secondly, you can take a "high-text-DR" image and just slightly blur the boundaries of the text leaving everything the same. The text will be difficult to read now. Has the DR changed now? If it has, does it mean that the so called "image DR" is only defined on the edges of the text? What about the rest of the image? Does it not contribute to the image DR? Unfortunately, IMHO, if you tread this path there will be no shortage of such questions to answer.

The notion of DR is pretty clear in engineering circles and I don't think that such "text-based-DR" is how it has been traditionally treated in the image sensor community.

Joofa

Of course not Joofa. Image quality also has a lot to do with lens quality. The text based concept of DR is a practical, photographic method of comparing the DR capabilities of different cameras by examining detail in the deepest shadows. It's not a method of placing a precise figure on the camera's DR, in terms of dB or range of f/stops.

As a photographer, my interest in the DR of a camera relates to its ability to produce detail in the shadows. The legibility of text in a severely underexposed image, especially a colored text on a background of a different color, seems to me a good indication of the quality of detail.

If camera A boasts a higher DR than camera B, in terms of a certain engineering definition, but camera B produces clearer or more legible text when images from both cameras are compared at 10 stops underexposure (at base ISO) using lenses of equal quality, then camera B is the camera I want, as regards DR capability.

bjanes

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 08:36:53 am »

Emil,

I see your point, I think. Actually I think that DxO also discusses this, or a similar issue. The samples you show are "red channel" on sensor and red channel on an sRGB image generated using all channels?

I presume that it's possible to aim for high ISO by having CFAs having broad spectral transmission characteristics and fix the colors in post?

Best regards
Erik

According to DXO, the red channel in the Canon 500D was more sensitive to green than red with D50 illumination, requiring a high matrix coefficient for that channel. The P65+ is only slightly better than the Canon in this area. And the D3x has more favorable characteristics for the red channel.

[attachment=23060:D65_Color.gif] [attachment=23061:D3xColor.gif]

ejmartin

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 08:45:21 am »

Emil,

Yes it's much the same point.  The example shown is red channel, after demosaic but before color space conversion (dcraw lets you output that); and red channel, after both demosaic and color space conversion.  If it were the red channel on the sensor, one would have only half the resolution of the other.  DxO was making a general point about noise, in my example I was somewhat more interested in getting at why the 5D2 has so much more pattern noise at low ISO.  Interestingly, if you look at color response at DxO, the P65+ also has a lot of sRGB green in the cameras R channel, while the D3x has much less; the coefficients in the color space transformation are much smaller for the D3x.  Where the P65+ wins, however, is that its white balance coefficients are smaller; the camera is much more equally sensitive to sRGB R,G, and B than the D3x.  So the R channel after color space conversion has to be amplified more in the D3x, again bringing more noise.  This presumably comes at a cost in some transmissivity of the G and B filters for the Phase One back.  It seems that there are some engineering tradeoffs to be considered.

Best regards
Erik

When one does that, the demosaiced image has more recorded photons, so less luminance noise but little chromaticity, and one must boost the saturation in the color space transformation post-demosaic; so one has less luminance noise at the expense of poorer color, and more chroma noise.  One can of course mitigate the chroma noise in post-processing, and/or in the converter as part of the color space conversion routine, but at the cost of some color accuracy and color microcontrast.
emil

bjanes

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:15 am »

Interestingly, if you look at color response at DxO, the P65+ also has a lot of sRGB green in the cameras R channel, while the D3x has much less; the coefficients in the color space transformation are much smaller for the D3x.  Where the P65+ wins, however, is that its white balance coefficients are smaller; the camera is much more equally sensitive to sRGB R,G, and B than the D3x.  So the R channel after color space conversion has to be amplified more in the D3x, again bringing more noise.  This presumably comes at a cost in some transmissivity of the G and B filters for the Phase One back.  It seems that there are some engineering tradeoffs to be considered.
Emil,

An excellent point which I noted when posting my images from DXO, but did not fully comprehend.

That there are engineering conflicts in sensor design are pointed in this paper, which does a computer simulation for RGB and CMY sensor design. The authors suggest a RGB sensor having two red sensors for each green and blue sensor. While such a sensor would reduce noise on a statistical basis, one must wonder how it would affect perceived noise, taking into account the spectral sensitivities of human vision, where the eye is most sensitive to green. I understand that this is why the Bayer array has two green for each red and blue sensor.

Depending on the type of photography being performed, the most important illuminants are daylight and tungsten. With Illuminant A (tungsten), red is increased and there is better balance between the red and green channels, but blue is decreased and the white balance multiplier and blue matrix coefficient must be increased, aggravating noise in this channel.

Since the human perceptual system is least sensitive to blue, this would mitigate perceived noise in that channel.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 09:45:59 am »

What is always missed is these threads is the reality that how 'DR' plays out in a final printed image is the function of numerous variables that have nothing to do with the camera, but take the results out of the margin-of-error that might separate these machines. These factors include, roughly in order of importance:

1. Exposure
2. Raw conversion
3. Post-Pro
4. Monitor and printer calibration
5. Inkset
6. Media choice

Since the web and commercial mass repro have minuscule DR compared to fine art prints, I assume we are concerned only with the latter, because what the camera can capture at a theoretical level is of precisely zero use in the photographic process.  To return to Ansel's metaphor, notes on a score which the instrument cannot play are hardly relevant to the quality of the performance.

Exposure:  since no camera company has yet created a true "Expose to the Right" mode (and may mana rain upon him who does), there is really no way of knowing in real world work what is exactly to perfect exposure for any given scene. Indeed, since even tiny increases in exposure can have a dramatic effect on tonal differentiation in the image, many photographers couldn't actually agree on what level of exposure was 'just right' (ie: the point at which the ability to recover the slightest detail in the brightest highlight was lost). Moreover, in practical terms, some loss in the highlights may be perfectly acceptable (ie: cloud detail) for better shadows in a given, real-world scene.

The brings us to RAW conversion. Different RAW converters have varying methods and abilities of highlight recovery.  Even positing the perfect user, LR, C1 and the maker's own software, will perform the alchemy of highlight recovery differently.  Since highlights have so little 'colour' in them to our eyes, there is a lot of processing latitude to interpolate detail (and remember, *everything* off a bayer matrix is an interpolation*).

Post Pro: actual photographers don't shoot image to use them 'raw' from the camera, if such a thing even existed. We process them to suite our artistic taste or commercial expressive agenda.  That manipulation of the image for tone, contrast, brightness, colour balance and saturation, etc, all impact on the date in the dark nether-regions -- specifically, the post-capture, post-conversion data.

The rest of the workflow: all of the calibration steps in the process will influence how the photographer sees the image, and thus how they choose to adjust it.....and thus how the tonal scale falls at the end of the day. Not that many people have truly excellent calibration control throughout their workflow (Mark happens to be one of them, btw).  

Lastly, output matters. Since what we're talking about is making photographs (or so I assume), the user's media choice for comparison (and printer inkset) will have a significant impact on the way apparent DR is presented.

The upshot is this: real photographers can tell us what they see when they run images through their workflow from different and create final works of art. Theoreticians can tell us what numbers come out of machines at certain preliminary steps in that process under artificial conditions. As a photographer, the former interests me, the later interests me much less.  

I have said here, and elsewhere, that working with a Phase back has given me a what I see to be a richer tonal range compared to 35mm dslrs.  The post-moderns can explain to you why that sentence is of no scientific value. I can explain to you (elsewhere) why that meta-analysis is of no ultimate worth to the artist.

This explains my take of Irwin Puts work. I trust him implicitly on lens testing. That is a scientific process which he has mastered. And it tells us something. The same holds true, to a more limited extent, on things like his image-acutance conclusions (though publishing obviously motion-blurred or mis-focussed images has undercut his efforts of late in this regard).

But I have no idea if he aspires to be a photographic artist. I have not seen any real-world work of his that suggests he engages with the process for that purpose.  That's not a criticism - I hope he gains satisfaction from what he does in his own way, because he has certainly enriched our understand greatly be his efforts. That said, unless and until he shows some body of works that demonstrates a real-world use of the tools to produce beautiful finished images, I can have no certainty that his methods of exposing, processing, viewing and printing are such that they can really tell me anything of much use about camera image quality.

When someone like Michael or James Russell or bcooter say something about characteristics of a camera's output, it is inherently subjective, but it matters because they know what they are talking about in a way that is more relevant to the end that photographers are pursuing - namely finished photographs.  

- N.

ps. did I read here that Bernard got married to his D3s recently?  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:46:48 am by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:36 am »

Nick,

The points you rise are absolutely valid.

I would like to make some points, however.

Erwin Puts did publish an image which probably was affected by camera vibration. As a matter of fact, Michael Reichmann was showing a image from D3X having similar problems. Now, in both cases the vibration was not relevant  to the the test. I think Michael was discussing noise and Erwin Puts was discussing Longitudal Chromatic Aberration. If you test equipment unknown to you there is a possibility to make errors. Now, some vibrations are not relevant to axial chromatic aberration. Erwin may have pointed out the issue but I presume that he expects some IQ from his readers. Actually he expects a lot of IQ, and that is part of the problem with his writing.

I'm actually a bit upset about all this criticism. In my view folks try to share their experience and are doing a significant effort to achieve that. All they got in feedback is blame from folks that always know how to better but contribute little of their own. If you find an error please consider if it is relevant in context! To put things in perspective, I was actually considering renting a P65+ for testing, would cost like 3000 USD/day here in Sweden. Would I find a minor error, irrelevant to the the subject I try to investigate, would I pay another 3000 USD to do another test or just publish my findings? Please, get real!

I'd suggest that Erwin Puts may have explained the issue, but just to throw out information because of irrelevant objections is not going to help anyone!

The other issue is that the reason I started this discussion was that I wanted to find a scientifically feasible explanation to the purported differences we are supposed to see. You may consider sensors and raw converters to be just tools of the trade, but those tools are still to be developed, by scientists and engineers.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: ndevlin
What is always missed is these threads is the reality that how 'DR' plays out in a final printed image is the function of numerous variables that have nothing to do with the camera, but take the results out of the margin-of-error that might separate these machines. These factors include, roughly in order of importance:

1. Exposure
2. Raw conversion
3. Post-Pro
4. Monitor and printer calibration
5. Inkset
6. Media choice

Since the web and commercial mass repro have minuscule DR compared to fine art prints, I assume we are concerned only with the latter, because what the camera can capture at a theoretical level is of precisely zero use in the photographic process.  To return to Ansel's metaphor, notes on a score which the instrument cannot play are hardly relevant to the quality of the performance.

Exposure:  since no camera company has yet created a true "Expose to the Right" mode (and may mana rain upon him who does), there is really no way of knowing in real world work what is exactly to perfect exposure for any given scene. Indeed, since even tiny increases in exposure can have a dramatic effect on tonal differentiation in the image, many photographers couldn't actually agree on what level of exposure was 'just right' (ie: the point at which the ability to recover the slightest detail in the brightest highlight was lost). Moreover, in practical terms, some loss in the highlights may be perfectly acceptable (ie: cloud detail) for better shadows in a given, real-world scene.

The brings us to RAW conversion. Different RAW converters have varying methods and abilities of highlight recovery.  Even positing the perfect user, LR, C1 and the maker's own software, will perform the alchemy of highlight recovery differently.  Since highlights have so little 'colour' in them to our eyes, there is a lot of processing latitude to interpolate detail (and remember, *everything* off a bayer matrix is an interpolation*).

Post Pro: actual photographers don't shoot image to use them 'raw' from the camera, if such a thing even existed. We process them to suite our artistic taste or commercial expressive agenda.  That manipulation of the image for tone, contrast, brightness, colour balance and saturation, etc, all impact on the date in the dark nether-regions -- specifically, the post-capture, post-conversion data.

The rest of the workflow: all of the calibration steps in the process will influence how the photographer sees the image, and thus how they choose to adjust it.....and thus how the tonal scale falls at the end of the day. Not that many people have truly excellent calibration control throughout their workflow (Mark happens to be one of them, btw).  

Lastly, output matters. Since what we're talking about is making photographs (or so I assume), the user's media choice for comparison (and printer inkset) will have a significant impact on the way apparent DR is presented.

The upshot is this: real photographers can tell us what they see when they run images through their workflow from different and create final works of art. Theoreticians can tell us what numbers come out of machines at certain preliminary steps in that process under artificial conditions. As a photographer, the former interests me, the later interests me much less.  

I have said here, and elsewhere, that working with a Phase back has given me a what I see to be a richer tonal range compared to 35mm dslrs.  The post-moderns can explain to you why that sentence is of no scientific value. I can explain to you (elsewhere) why that meta-analysis is of no ultimate worth to the artist.

This explains my take of Irwin Puts work. I trust him implicitly on lens testing. That is a scientific process which he has mastered. And it tells us something. The same holds true, to a more limited extent, on things like his image-acutance conclusions (though publishing obviously motion-blurred or mis-focussed images has undercut his efforts of late in this regard).

But I have no idea if he aspires to be a photographic artist. I have not seen any real-world work of his that suggests he engages with the process for that purpose.  That's not a criticism - I hope he gains satisfaction from what he does in his own way, because he has certainly enriched our understand greatly be his efforts. That said, unless and until he shows some body of works that demonstrates a real-world use of the tools to produce beautiful finished images, I can have no certainty that his methods of exposing, processing, viewing and printing are such that they can really tell me anything of much use about camera image quality.

When someone like Michael or James Russell or bcooter say something about characteristics of a camera's output, it is inherently subjective, but it matters because they know what they are talking about in a way that is more relevant to the end that photographers are pursuing - namely finished photographs.  

- N.

ps. did I read here that Bernard got married to his D3s recently?  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:29:44 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:07 pm »

Since the web and commercial mass repro have minuscule DR compared to fine art prints, I assume we are concerned only with the latter, because what the camera can capture at a theoretical level is of precisely zero use in the photographic process.

Hi N.,

Your assumption is wrong, but you are not alone. The capture/input DR is recorded before gamma adjustment and other tonemapping. This means that shadow noise at the capture stage is amplified by postprocessing, and better S/N ratios in the shadows will translate to a higher overall perceived DR, also in the output.

As a photographer, I can tell you you're missing the point of this thread. There is no use in discussing the output quality in this thread unless one understands what to improve on the input side, and how that affects the output.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:41:55 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 01:20:51 pm »

Since the web and commercial mass repro have minuscule DR compared to fine art prints,
When you say "the web" you're not talking about images viewed on computer screens are you? No way do fine art prints have more DR than computer screens.  And while printing press has less DR than the best fiber-gloss inkjet prints, the typical magazine glossy still has better DR than fine art matte papers, so I'd hardly say it's minuscule.

Certainly, a fine art print is the gold standard in ultimate overall image quality; but to suggest it's the best way to judge the DR that a camera is capable of capturing seems misguided to me, since pretty much all DSLR's can capture more DR than an inkjet can reproduce.

Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »

Hi,

Jeff has several good points on this in my opinion. Prints have a DR of about 7 stops. My claim is that DSLRs have significantly more,  like 12 stops. To fit a digital image to print we need to make some adjustment on tonality. A straight conversion would make for a very flat print.

LCD screens have significantly more DR than prints, perhaps as much as 9 stops.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: JeffKohn
When you say "the web" you're not talking about images viewed on computer screens are you? No way do fine art prints have more DR than computer screens.  And while printing press has less DR than the best fiber-gloss inkjet prints, the typical magazine glossy still has better DR than fine art matte papers, so I'd hardly say it's minuscule.

Certainly, a fine art print is the gold standard in ultimate overall image quality; but to suggest it's the best way to judge the DR that a camera is capable of capturing seems misguided to me, since pretty much all DSLR's can capture more DR than an inkjet can reproduce.
Erik Kaffehr

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 02:55:07 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn

Jeff, my point is that no one visual artist actually views photos on their own computer screen as an end product, so it's kind of meaningless.  I agree that most cameras capture more DR than inkjet can reproduce.

Bart, we are at cross-purposes. What I am saying is that the getting the optimal exposure in any scene, and then converting is to a usable imagine is a process so fraught with subjective variability (in real world applications) that tests/debates of this nature which purport to be scientific are of little of no practical use and, that the inherently subjective judgement of really good visual artists who have mastered the medium is equally or more meaningful.  The quest for scientific certainty of comparison in this realm is amusing at best, misleadingly useless at worst.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »

Nick,

I disagree. Science and technology has taken photography to where it is today. It may be argued that films, sensors and so are just tools, but I would argue that the technology we have is more like the paint than the brush.

Another point is that we can buy a really good tool for creating pictures for perhaps 1000 USD. Somewhat improved tools are available for perhaps 3000 USD, like the Canon 5DII and the Sony Alpha 850/900. The MFDB discussion is about backs that costs up to 30 kUSD. We need to ask what you get for ten times the price. Some folks can afford a 30 kUSD back, some can't. For many of us we can afford it if we really want/need. In my view it is important that we have as much and as correct information available so users can spend their money wisely.

Best regards
Erik

Jeff, my point is that no one visual artist actually views photos on their own computer screen as an end product, so it's kind of meaningless.  I agree that most cameras capture more DR than inkjet can reproduce.

Bart, we are at cross-purposes. What I am saying is that the getting the optimal exposure in any scene, and then converting is to a usable imagine is a process so fraught with subjective variability (in real world applications) that tests/debates of this nature which purport to be scientific are of little of no practical use and, that the inherently subjective judgement of really good visual artists who have mastered the medium is equally or more meaningful.  The quest for scientific certainty of comparison in this realm is amusing at best, misleadingly useless at worst.

- N.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:33:45 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

bjanes

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »

What is always missed is these threads is the reality that how 'DR' plays out in a final printed image is the function of numerous variables that have nothing to do with the camera, but ...
One variable that does relate to the camera is the camera DR.   It takes quite an artist to produce a print that has more DR than was captured. On the other hand, a good photographic artist can map a high dynamic capture to something that is pleasing on a print.

As pointed out by others, the DR of an sRGB device (as with the web) is greater than that of a print. The best prints have a DR of 275:1 or about 8 stops (see Karl Lang--Rendering the print: the Art of Photography). An 8 bit sRGB space has values of 1..255 which represent values of 0.222:255 when referred back to scene radiance, corresponding to 10 stops. As Karl explains, the art of photography is to render a high radiance image to what appears good on the print. Your Adams reference is not apt. If you have no score (i.e no image with a range of radiances), you have nothing to print. What the camera can capture is of paramount importance, and the job of the artistic photographer is to map the radiance of the capture to what can be shown in a print.

The effective DR of an 8 bit sRGB color image is limited by banding, not noise. According to Greg Ward, an 8 bit sRGB image has a practical DR of 1:0.025, 40:1 or about 5.3 stops. This does not represent the ratio of the brightest to the darkest part of the image in the usual sense of dynamic range, but to the limited granularity of the encoding that causes noticeable differences in color as one goes from one level to the next in the scale. Banding can be diminished by noise, which dithers the image. This introduces a paradox: high DR requires low noise, but noise can dither banding and increase the useful DR.

If you have a working knowledge of the relationship of the camera luminance and RGB histograms to the raw data (this involves the headroom allowed for exposure latitude as well as the white balance multipliers), it is not difficult to obtain good ETTR exposure. Digital capture is linear, and a small difference in exposure will not make a dramatic effect on tonal differentiation as long as you don't blow channels. Highlight recovery can correct for minor overexposure and the exposure control in the raw converter can correct for slight underexposure. To sum up, I hope you are a better artist than a scientist.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:56:45 pm by bjanes »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »

Jeff, my point is that no one visual artist actually views photos on their own computer screen as an end product, so it's kind of meaningless.
I think points can be more effectively made without erroneous statements of fact, such as prints having more DR than screens. But even so, I disagree with your premise. The fact that a print is the final output does not make the DR in the original capture meaningless. If it did, why would it matter if a MFDB has more DR or not?

What I am saying is that the getting the optimal exposure in any scene, and then converting is to a usable imagine is a process so fraught with subjective variability (in real world applications) that tests/debates of this nature which purport to be scientific are of little of no practical use and, that the inherently subjective judgement of really good visual artists who have mastered the medium is equally or more meaningful.  The quest for scientific certainty of comparison in this realm is amusing at best, misleadingly useless at worst.
So if I'm understanding you, the various steps that take place in going from camera capture to final print are the reason why "scientific" DR numbers don't agree with really good artists who have mastered the medium and claim that there's a huge difference in DR when there really isn't? I fail to see the logic in that. And that's my problem with the folks who dismiss the scientific DR measurements. They don't offer any explanation for why those tests are wrong or what they fail to consider. All we get is vague statements, but you can never pin them down and get concrete answers or examples.  It comes across as "I know what I know, facts be damned".

If you want to say you get a better final print from MFDB, that's one thing. There could be various reasons for that, but a huge gap in DR is not one of them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:37:15 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Ray

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 08:43:42 am »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
The capture/input DR is recorded before gamma adjustment and other tonemapping. This means that shadow noise at the capture stage is amplified by postprocessing, and better S/N ratios in the shadows will translate to a higher overall perceived DR, also in the output.............

There is no use in discussing the output quality in this thread unless one understands what to improve on the input side, and how that affects the output.

Cheers,
Bart

Well said, Bart. There's a lot of processing that takes place between a RAW capture and the final print. I remember a few years ago attempting linear conversions to retrieve maximum highlight detail from certain images, before ACR hit the market. I soon gave up on it. It was too difficult to get a satisfactory tonal result across the whole image when starting with a linear conversion.

Issues also raised in this thread about the DR limitations of the the monitor, the limitations of web-based jpegs, and particularly the DR limitations of the print, are complete red herrings.

When attempting to compare a particular aspect of camera performance, such as DR, it's standard practice that one should at least attempt to keep the processing similar, such as noise reduction, sharpening, saturation and vibrancy, hue and WB, and of course proof settings with regard to paper/printer profile, when making a print.

There are differences in the way certain RAW converters handle image files from different models of cameras. I know, for example, that Bibble can produce slightly sharper results from my Canon RAW images than ACR. But I know also that this slight edge in resolution is at the expense of noise. ACR images are a little softer, or blotchier, but have clearly less noise. If I apply some noise reduction to the Bibble conversion, it looks pretty close to the ACR conversion.

Nevertheless, there are subtle differences, and anyone may prefer one particular RAW converter to another based on personal taste, and even image type, such as portrait or landscape.

However, the issue in this thread is not about subtle differences in DR due to differences in the default noise reduction of certain RAW converters, but is about huge differences in DR as reported by certain reviewers.

What's the explanation?

There are a number of explanations that I think may all be true to some degree. I'll list a few, but please don't think I'm pointing the finger at anyone. We're all human, but some of us are more scientifically rigorous than others. And even the scientifically rigorous are not neccessarily scientifically rigorous all the time, in all circumstances. Even Einstein made some flaws of judgement, perhaps due to his religious proclivities. (I'm thinking of, "God does not play dice", in relation to the  theory of Quantum Mechanics).

1. MFDB manufacturers are struggling to be viable. Their products are ridiculously expensive in relation to the increased performance over a good 35mm DSLR, and they need all the good publicity they can get. A bit of hyperbole from a few reputable photographers is much appreciated.

2. Image is important in more ways than one. The professional photographer needs to impress his clients. An expensive MFDB system may do the trick.

3. Less discerning photographers tend to follow the 'big boys'. If their successful mentors or idols are using particular equipment, they will tend to follow and buy the same equipment. It's all too human. There's a lot of irrational behaviour in human society. When their purchasing decision has been made, mortgaging their house to buy a complete MFDB system, any criticism of their excessive expenditure will be met with strong, subjective statements supporting the superior performance of their equipment.

There can be no objective testing in such circumstances, because such testing would reveal such a marginal increase in performance, disproportionate with the  price paid, it would cause distress. We all like to kid  ourselves on occasions, including  me.

4. There's a tendency to group the performance of all 35mm DSLR together, and compare an unspecified experience of 35mm performance with MFDB, which may exclude the best 35mm performer, the Nikon D3X, but include the best MFDB performer, whatever that may be.

Should I continue? I don't want the thread to be closed.

I'll add that I've never found much difficulty in determing the DR capability of a camera. Everyone who can afford a good camera probably lives in a house or a flat, doesn't he/she? I mean, he/she who owns a P65+ or D3X is not likely to be a street dweller.

In which case, just photograph your living room on a sunny day and expose for the brightest clouds out of your window. It's terribly simple. If you want to be really thorough, you could place a few very detailed objects and artifacts in the  living room, even a newspaper.

Having exposed correctly to get all the cloud detail, using your MFDB and D3X in ETTR mode, then examine the detail in your living room. The camera that provides the greater detail in your living room has the better DR.

The fact that a true ETTR may be difficult to achieve, is another red herring. Just do it. If the clouds are blown, take another shot, and another shot, till it's right.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up