But then, comes immediatly a question.
If the D3x is that impressive, and in many aspects supposely matches or equal the highest MF backs,
considering its much lower price, its better distribution and universality, and that can even shoot video,
why the MF users are not selling their gears like hot-dogs and go all for the D3x?
(not talking about the one who use regularly view and tech cameras but MF cameras)
Off topic indeed, but so much fun.
If the backs are so much better, why are like new second hand 39 megapixel backs selling at the same price point as the D3x?
More seriously, there are many valid reasons why people might want to keep using backs regardless of their DR:
- ADDED: they have signficantly more resolution (I had stupidely omited the obvious )
- They have the platform and lenses and like them,
- They like the look of AA filter less files,
- They are used to subtle DoF effects related to the large size of the sensor,
- Backs can be mounted on a variety of plarforms (including LF cameras),
- The sensor is easier to clean,
- Backs feel/look more profesional,
- It creates a differentiator relative to other photographers unable to afford a back,
- They like thethered shooting for which backs have been optimized,
- They have a personnal relationship with their back dealer that they would be unable to find with Canon/Nikon,
- They are able to meet Phaseone R&D guys and to influence their directions but wouldn't be able to do the same with Canon/Nikon,
That is what I find most irritating about this whole DR story. Backs don't need to oversell their DR using mythical and un-provable qualities, they have enough going for themselves already.