Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death of Print  (Read 5462 times)

Rob C

Death of Print
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 04:03:14 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I don't think that MOST Image Makers, have a secret desire to do video.  I for one could care less. But thats my problem if I cared to chase the $.

There are many budgets that have been cut....I hear how ADs look for shooters local to the location.  The AD gets the scene and now works around it.  There are so many shooters these days...Its more like, .."Well, do we know the local talent to have them shoot?"  

And as far as Licensing...All my competition has been doing unlimited license for over 4 or 5 years now...Ya think I would even be considered if I didn't?  Nope.  These are direct clients. Agencies, I don't even know where to start to even cater to them.  I wish there was a breakdown of what agencies specialize in what catagory of advertising....Like the drink ads are mostly done by, X, and the luxury ads are done by Y, etc. That would be a nice spreadsheet.

I agree with print slowly but surely being a luxury, and thats whats sad...I see more and more power and strength going to those who feed on the masses, and that is whats will continue to happen.  

It looks like to pull ahead, one needs to reinvent a Popup flash modifier, do some workshops on lighting glamour, and maybe advertise buodior shoots and call it happiness?
ouch.

If you want the definitive answer to whether or not foreign trips to the Bahamas, Seychelles, Maldives and Mauritious have almost vanished, don't ask photographers who never did them, ask the model agents who always had to send the talent along.

It simply isn't true that those clients who now don't send people on location never would; the very same people have often stopped because of cost, not least those involved with paper and print. I used to do pretty well out of calendars, but you know who ran off with the major part of the budget? The printers. I didn't say profit, I said major part of the budget.

Times have changed, the struggle (crazy) for annual growth is based on greed and no economic argument to the contrary will convince me otherwise. I would have no problem living on a hundred thousand whatsits per annun every goddam annum, no need to make it a progression of more whatsists each twelve months, and what holds for me would have held for everyone. All that greed produces is inflation and unrealistic expectations, such as those essential morons doing air traffic control or poncing around the world as flying waiters and waitresses. And they have the power and willingness to disrupt travel and everyone else's life in search of that extra dollop of cream and even more imaginary 'rights'!

You're right, Phil, it is very different today and the lowest common denominator is ever lower and more powerful; Hey-Soos! think reality tv.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:04:05 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Death of Print
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 07:11:57 am »

Quote from: Rob C
If you want the definitive answer to whether or not foreign trips to the Bahamas, Seychelles, Maldives and Mauritious have almost vanished, don't ask photographers who never did them, ask the model agents who always had to send the talent along.

It simply isn't true that those clients who now don't send people on location never would; the very same people have often stopped because of cost, not least those involved with paper and print. I used to do pretty well out of calendars, but you know who ran off with the major part of the budget? The printers. I didn't say profit, I said major part of the budget.

Times have changed, the struggle (crazy) for annual growth is based on greed and no economic argument to the contrary will convince me otherwise. I would have no problem living on a hundred thousand whatsits per annun every goddam annum, no need to make it a progression of more whatsists each twelve months, and what holds for me would have held for everyone. All that greed produces is inflation and unrealistic expectations, such as those essential morons doing air traffic control or poncing around the world as flying waiters and waitresses. And they have the power and willingness to disrupt travel and everyone else's life in search of that extra dollop of cream and even more imaginary 'rights'!

You're right, Phil, it is very different today and the lowest common denominator is ever lower and more powerful; Hey-Soos! think reality tv.

Rob C
The great irony, indeed clever, is that for example those copyrights abuses in contests...well you have those big brands (yes, the one we buy) wanting you to do a contest but they want your copyrights, all the rights. So you got the talent, you do the job, but they have the product of this talent and the rights to use it with no restriction for free.

That is exactly the same idea as when fashion brands use to go in India and made the kids work for almost free. Now, they found an even better way, chinese jails, free work as part of the reinsertion project. So they consider they did not even have to pay the way too expensive indian child.

Big brands, with a lot, a lot I insist of money and power, wanting even the very little right that owns the average photographer, the right to use his own talent and images.

Tomorrow, if there is too much offers, they will hire the engineers for free doing gear design in contests. Can't wait to see the next gear generations when that will be the reality.

Fascinating marketing departments.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:14:43 am by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up