Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cadaqués  (Read 2614 times)

Rob C

Cadaqués
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:40:54 pm »

This is probably aimed at Eduardo more than at anyone else, living in Barcelona and all that, but others may have the current answers.

Many years ago Amercan Playboy did a feature on the Costa Brava and one of the places the team visited and raved about was Cadaqués. I think it must have been in the 60s or very early 70s. They made mention of spectacular drives down mountain roads and the wonderful present that awaited at the bottom. We have similar (I imagine) mountain drives here in Mallorca and if they don't scare your pants off, at least they can't fail to impress in some manner or another (possibly still related to your pants).

Anyway, the question is, broadly, this: I've done some searching on the Internet and the impression that I get is that the place is currently a tourist trap par excellence. I did drive down from the Barcelona motorway to nearby Rosas once, when we were very early for the Baleares ferry, but it failed to impress favourably at all; far better at home. So, if anyone has been there recently, is it still cute/quaint, or is it fish´n´chips and bad sangria like so much else - the product of the appetites or assumed appetites of those that visit - or was Playboy simply too easily impressed because it didn't look like Chicago?  Chicago may be beautiful, I have no idea, and a slur on said city wasn't what I implied.

In essence, would one go or not go to Cadaqués today?

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:31:28 pm by Rob C »

alban

Cadaqués
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »

I was in Cadaques few years ago and I though it was great ,a nice quiet place ,cheap simple food by the sea ,small sized beaches . There isn't much to do that is for sure.They did have a Dali museum but all the places around there seem to have one. I don't remember if Dali was born or died there or just had a house but as I said all the villages around claim to have had some to do with Dali. I was there for a few days only and I do remember that the first night we could hear some German speaking people being a little louder then I like but a part from that I thought it was nice.The place is a tourist destination as much as anything else in the area but I didn't find it to be annoyingly so.I also remember that they had a jelly fish invasion at the time so swimming was a bit tricky but I don't know if this is a common occurrence.  I would call it quaint and it did give us the feeling of a secluded fishing village.  I am not sure what you're looking for in a place and like I said I was there few years ago and that is a long time .

I actually wrote something about the place if you want to take a look.The Ile Lleget was a a weird place one could reach using an acherontian style of transportation. An old hippie would do the ferrying for whatever you wanted to give to him .

http://www.sitebits.com/2006/dallying_with...n_cadaques.html

Best

Rob C

Cadaqués
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »

Quote from: alban
I was in Cadaques few years ago and I though it was great ,a nice quiet place ,cheap simple food by the sea ,small sized beaches . There isn't much to do that is for sure.They did have a Dali museum but all the places around there seem to have one. I don't remember if Dali was born or died there or just had a house but as I said all the villages around claim to have had some to do with Dali. I was there for a few days only and I do remember that the first night we could hear some German speaking people being a little louder then I like but a part from that I thought it was nice.The place is a tourist destination as much as anything else in the area but I didn't find it to be annoyingly so.I also remember that they had a jelly fish invasion at the time so swimming was a bit tricky but I don't know if this is a common occurrence.  I would call it quaint and it did give us the feeling of a secluded fishing village.  I am not sure what you're looking for in a place and like I said I was there few years ago and that is a long time .

I actually wrote something about the place if you want to take a look.The Ile Lleget was a a weird place one could reach using an acherontian style of transportation. An old hippie would do the ferrying for whatever you wanted to give to him .

http://www.sitebits.com/2006/dallying_with...n_cadaques.html

Best

Thanks for your response - in  general, it sounds much like Puerto Pollensa is today, but without the Dali bits; instead, we have fake (!) wooden Indians and mock Western bars and Irish bars (I don't know if those are mock or not) that sort of crap. In winter it is delightful and somewhat like a spaghetti western too, in that only the sand moves, blowing up over the promenade and most of the places are firmly shut for the season. I love it then.

The bay, in summer, is a carpark for boats. But apparently, that's why people come. End of story. First saw it in '66 and even in '81 it was pretty good, but were this my first visit I would never elect to live here. The basic problem is that, as with every place that becomes popular, it ends up losing its identity and turns into something quite different. But, if you settle, then you learn to keep your distance and use it for what is useful that it really can provide, such as the post office, the gas station and the supermarket. And the lawyers if you need them. It is still beautiful, seen from the high walk in the marina, and it's only when you get back amongst the people that you lose the vision.

I see you felt the same as I about Rosas! Perhaps Playboy was in Cadaqués at the right time.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Rob C

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Cadaqués
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:40:33 am »

I am afraid I will not be of much help: last time I visited Cadaqués was a long time ago, and I wasn't so interested in photography back then; I do not remember having the feeling that the place was a complete tourist trap, however.

Rob C

Cadaqués
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:36 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
I am afraid I will not be of much help: last time I visited Cadaqués was a long time ago, and I wasn't so interested in photography back then; I do not remember having the feeling that the place was a complete tourist trap, however.

Hi Eduardo

Thanks for your reply - you now have a mission, should you accept it: drive into the ferry terminal in Barcelona, go to the part where the passengers come off the Palma ferry and then proceed to find the B10, the C33 and then E15/AP7 - filming the route all the way to the meeting with the A7. (Does the letter B in B10 signify Bajo, the semi-subterranean part of the motorway towards Gerona, or is it entirely something else?)

Once you have done that, you can proceed to Cadqués if you want to and do a blanket shoot for our edification!

; - )

Rob C

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Cadaqués
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:45:01 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Hi Eduardo

Thanks for your reply - you now have a mission, should you accept it: drive into the ferry terminal in Barcelona, go to the part where the passengers come off the Palma ferry and then proceed to find the B10, the C33 and then E15/AP7 - filming the route all the way to the meeting with the A7. (Does the letter B in B10 signify Bajo, the semi-subterranean part of the motorway towards Gerona, or is it entirely something else?)

Once you have done that, you can proceed to Cadqués if you want to and do a blanket shoot for our edification!

; - )

Rob C

All that travelling just to shot a blanket!? No thanks!

Rob C

Cadaqués
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:37 pm »

Quote from: EduPerez
All that travelling just to shot a blanket!? No thanks!

Do I understand you are refusing the mission, then? One World Cup and the country goes mad!

;-)

Hasta luego

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up