Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do it with an (old) iPhone!  (Read 4378 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Do it with an (old) iPhone!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 07:46:05 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
What's so unique in that experiment if not a desire to get internet traffic?

Perhaps not unique, but news to many in his target audience. As I pointed out earlier, it's not the same audience as LL, so I don't understand why you keep looking at it from a pro point-of-view.

fredjeang

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 08:04:33 am »

Quote from: feppe
Perhaps not unique, but news to many in his target audience. As I pointed out earlier, it's not the same audience as LL, so I don't understand why you keep looking at it from a pro point-of-view.
Then even more important:

The conclusion of this experiment should not be: "gear does not matter"
but: "even with a P65, if you did not have these mediums on the plateau (all the chain involved) you would not have obtained good results for fashion shots"

Or, the overall message should be: gear does not matter that much but don't fool yourself, this is a professional shooting with expensive mediums involved that have
direct consequences on the final result.

In fact, expensive enough that for the beginner it would be hard to even dream about working in those conditions.

Now, if the message is: before investing in a high tech camera, you should ask yourself if it will be not better to invest in lightning, hire a good stylist and makeup artist
and working with good models, and being knowledgable in post production or hire a retoucher... then you might have really something.

Cheers.

feppe

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 12:04:32 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Then even more important:

The conclusion of this experiment should not be: "gear does not matter"
but: "even with a P65, if you did not have these mediums on the plateau (all the chain involved) you would not have obtained good results for fashion shots"

Or, the overall message should be: gear does not matter that much but don't fool yourself, this is a professional shooting with expensive mediums involved that have
direct consequences on the final result.

In fact, expensive enough that for the beginner it would be hard to even dream about working in those conditions.

Now, if the message is: before investing in a high tech camera, you should ask yourself if it will be not better to invest in lightning, hire a good stylist and makeup artist
and working with good models, and being knowledgable in post production or hire a retoucher... then you might have really something.

Cheers.

Please contact the author of the video, I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear what you think the message should be.

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 06:13:39 pm »

Really what this all boils down to is that some people want to begrudge the fstoppers website for having a silly, fun, interesting idea and running with it, which along the way they received their 15 minutes of internet fame.
They didn't try to hide that they were using expensive light mods, they didn't hide the fact that the stuff was retouched, they didn't hide the fact that there was a makeup artist.
They just made a fun to watch, compelling video which will benefit beginners and bring a smile to non-beginners. Any starting photographer could walk away from that video with some ideas of light placement at the least.

Some people look at things like this and see the negative aspects which for whatever reason compels them to criticize it. Other people look at things like this and see the positive aspects and then have the need to defend against the critics

I lurk in a big way on this site with a little more than 100 posts in all these years. I've learned quite a bit, seen some fabulous work, enjoyed a laugh or two, but I'll never understand the vitriol that is spewed about, even if it's in micro doses.

Criticism for criticism's sake does nothing for anyone, but I guess we all knew that already right?

Cheers,

*steve
semillerimages.com

feppe

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

Quote from: semillerimages
Really what this all boils down to is that some people want to begrudge the fstoppers website for having a silly, fun, interesting idea and running with it, which along the way they received their 15 minutes of internet fame.
They didn't try to hide that they were using expensive light mods, they didn't hide the fact that the stuff was retouched, they didn't hide the fact that there was a makeup artist.
They just made a fun to watch, compelling video which will benefit beginners and bring a smile to non-beginners. Any starting photographer could walk away from that video with some ideas of light placement at the least.

Some people look at things like this and see the negative aspects which for whatever reason compels them to criticize it. Other people look at things like this and see the positive aspects and then have the need to defend against the critics

I lurk in a big way on this site with a little more than 100 posts in all these years. I've learned quite a bit, seen some fabulous work, enjoyed a laugh or two, but I'll never understand the vitriol that is spewed about, even if it's in micro doses.

Criticism for criticism's sake does nothing for anyone, but I guess we all knew that already right?

Cheers,

*steve

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:09:37 pm by feppe »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up