Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei 6008i lens choice  (Read 5594 times)

messar

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:28 pm »

I recently purchased a Rollei 6008i. Now, I'm searching for a lens.....

As background, this is my first stab at medium format - I'm most interested in landscapes photography, as well as perhaps some macro.

Obviously, there are a lot of choices for lenses - the biggest question right now is the real world difference between the newer PQ/PQS lenses, and the older ones (HFT - not sure the correct term).

To start with, I'm thinking of going with an 80mm. - the price difference is pretty big between the newer and older lenses.

What do I really give up going with an older type of lens?

From reading the manual, it sounds like there is an extra step when metering (from my understanding, it's just to trigger the meter with one of the buttons - the lens does not needs to be stopped down manually when in aperture priority mode).

What about quality? Are the new lenses appreciably better?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,

Matt

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50:31 am »

The 80mm xenotar is a fantastic lens and probably a good one to start with.  It's fairly inexpensive and because of its symmetrical design works well for macro with extension tubes or reversed.  

Lot's of the older lenses are also good, but I'd recommend you try to find a PQ version to save yourself from stop down metering etc.  In general I favor the schneider over the zeiss.
Rolleiflex USA

Geoffrey

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:04:16 am »

Eric's answer is pretty much on the mark. The other thing is that Rollei made a line of lenses for the earlier 6000 series that are non-PQ but will work on the camera. These lenses come in different varieties - I think one group was made by Rollei to Zeiss standards; another group was a more economical model made in the far east, which are a small notch down. Never used them.

In general, the PQ lenses are of fine quality and highly recommended. I too prefer the Schneiders, but can't honestly say I've tried much of the Zeiss. The Schneiders tend to be more contemporary - smaller and faster. Some Rollei lenses can get heavy - so if weight is an issue, make sure you try the lens first.

The 80 is a fine intro lens. Most of them are just wonderful, serious products. You won't lack for resolution with them.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:18:00 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
The 80mm xenotar is a fantastic lens and probably a good one to start with.  It's fairly inexpensive and because of its symmetrical design works well for macro with extension tubes or reversed.  

Lot's of the older lenses are also good, but I'd recommend you try to find a PQ version to save yourself from stop down metering etc.  In general I favor the schneider over the zeiss.

I agree about Schneider versus Zeiss, with the exception of the 100 mm f2, which is incomparable.

Jerry

Mr. Rib

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:35:11 am »

Go for schneider PQ/PQS lenses, these are stellar performers. Xenotar 80mm would be a good way to start, it's definitely a versatile lens.

Graham Mitchell

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:44:41 am »

For landscapes I would recommend the 40mm f3.5 PQ.

topgreat

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:33:57 am »

Most people prefer Schneider over Zeiss. However, a price of a lens is also a big concern. Zeiss lenses can provide excellent sharpness and details with more reasonable price. Schneider lenses are usually much more expensive in the used market. I also have Schneider 40mm and agree with Graham. It is a true gem. For a starter, 80mm Xenotar is a good choice, but more expensive than 80mm Planar. For macro, you can find Zeiss 120mm f/4 for about a half price of Schneider 90mm APO.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:47:32 pm »

Yes Jerry the 110/2 is a fantastic lens and the 120mm f/4 macro and 30mm fisheye from Zeiss are also excellent lenses (though the 120mm macro is prone to flare in backlit situations).

There are a number of focal lengths where both zeiss and schneider lenses were offered - 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 80mm, and 150mm.  In some of those focal lengths there are even a few versions of each and as Geoff pointed out also a 3rd option - the Rolleigons which were old zeiss formulas licensed to Rollei for manufacture.    Mostly the schneider versions were more modern optical designs so a bit better but the are updated zeiss 40mm and 50mm lenses with floating rear elements.  If you read the MTF's you also see that the schneider lenses typically have less distortion and also simple distortion curves whereas the zeiss designs will change from barrel to pincushion.   The schneider lenses for the rollei platform are all color matched as well.    

This may all be just a bit of splitting hairs because really they are all excellent with some being really really great.
Rolleiflex USA

messar

Rollei 6008i lens choice
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:33:29 pm »

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will monitor the usual suspects for a good used 80mm PQ or PQS to start with.

I know the usual ebay, b&h, adorama, KEH, Kurland - any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Or, if this doesn't overstep the terms of this board, if anyone is selling, please contact me directly. (if this request is out of line, please contact me via email, and I'll edit this post immediately).

Thanks,

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up