Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds v film - a last bastion falls  (Read 2139 times)

jwarthman

1Ds v film - a last bastion falls
« on: August 27, 2003, 09:26:20 pm »

Quentin,
Thanks much for the heads-up! Now, if I can locate this magazine in Arizona, it should be an interesting read.   ::

Enjoy!

-- Jim

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 08:25:18 pm »

Not *another* 1Ds v film thread I hear the assembled multitude moan (with some justification), but this is more significant than most, at least for UK professionals, because I refer to the September 2003 edition of Professional Photographer in the UK, which has adopted a relatively conservative approach to the issue of whether digital is as good as film - 35mm that is.  Conservative no more...

The comparison is between the 1Ds and a EOS 1V loaded with Kodak E100G.  Charts and stuff are shot, but the really interesting comparison is between two nearly identical double page spreads, one shot with each camera, of the village of Finchingfield, just down the road from me.

The conclusion is (of course) that digital wins.  It's acknowledged to be cleaner and it captures more detail. resulting in an image that is significantly sharper at high enlargements. The images speak for themselves without the conclusion.  But we all expected that, didn't we :cool:

There is the promise of a shot out with medium format soon.

If you can get hold of the magazine, do, because this is a more thoughtful and measured comparison than most that appear in hard copy media.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

victoraberdeen

• http://www.abovo-media.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 01:30:33 am »

You can find the magazine here  Professional Photographer, the UK's leading monthly professional photography magazine. . It is a reasonable magazine, I prefer the BJP Brit Journal of Photography.

As for digital vs film, digital has not yet started to perform in three years the quality of 5x4 will be passed. But we need that bayer mask thrown out first.

Enjoy

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up