Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some photos from Norway  (Read 2010 times)

tonysmith

Some photos from Norway
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:09 pm »

These are some photos from a recent trip to Norway. I would appreciate comments, particularly how I might have done them better.

Of course, they all have particular memories for me, but I chose them (out of 1200) because I also hoped they would stand on their own quite well.

[attachment=22992:_1050484_Edit.jpg]

[attachment=22993:_1050636_Edit.jpg]

[attachment=22994:_1060483_Edit.jpg]

[attachment=22995:P1030340_Edit_3.jpg]

Many thanks

Tony

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Some photos from Norway
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:50:12 pm »

The steeple in the first one seems to be leaning slightly to the left, although the chimney looks to be vertical.  Some distortion correction might help.  I'm not sure if you were trying to juxtapose the mass of the church against the town or not.  It would be interesting to see this in B&W.

The second one has some good lighting, especially the 'spot' in mid-frame.  Too bad you lost the top of the mast on the building though.  Not sure about the rock wall.  It leads me down the road to the building, but it's awfully prominent.

The third one has some good angles.  This one would also be interesting in B&W.

My $0.02.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Some photos from Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »

Quote from: tonysmith
These are some photos from a recent trip to Norway. I would appreciate comments, particularly how I might have done them better.

Of course, they all have particular memories for me, but I chose them (out of 1200) because I also hoped they would stand on their own quite well.

Tony

I like the 2nd and 3rd very much, the 1st a bit less. The 4th is not my cup of tea. I see you are very precise with your framing, bravo! May I ask, what is that sail-like building in the 2nd photo? Quite fascinating.

francois

Some photos from Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:14:28 am »

I'm mostly with Mike and Peter on this serie. #1 would be a very nice image but the steeple gives the impression of "uneasiness".
#4 does nothing extraordinary for me. Mmy eyes don't know where to go - they constantly wander from the the buildings on the left then on the boat aft on the right.
#2 presents a nice contrast between the futuristic sail-shaped building and a a very pleasant landscape, the glow on the distant hill  adds a bright spot.
#3 is a study of geometry, Mike might be right about trying in a B/W version.
Francois

Kevin Gallagher

Some photos from Norway
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:06:41 am »

Hi Tony, I like #2, do you know what the building is? An apartment or an office? It's very striking, especially given it's location. Kevin
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

tonysmith

Some photos from Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:59:44 am »

Thank you all for your comments.

First was taken with 14mm lens which I think caused some distortion. When I tried to correct the steeple, other verticals (e.g. chimney) then got thrown out. I tried it BW but did not like it. Tried again after your suggestions and still did not like it.

In second, I lost the top of the mast when correcting for a wonky horizon caused by my laziness - I coud not be bothered to get my tripod from the car. Building is the Rica Seilet Hotel in Molde - their web site has a number of nice pictures of the building.

BW works well for the third (see below) but I still prefer colour.

[attachment=23000:_1060483_Edit_2.jpg]

Fourth picture was a wrong post. I meant it to be the following one. I would be grateful for any additional comments (I did try it in BW but preferred the touch of colour)

[attachment=22999:_1060072.jpg]

Many thanks

Tony

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Some photos from Norway
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:53:08 am »

Quote from: tonysmith
Thank you all for your comments.
Fourth picture was a wrong post. I meant it to be the following one. I would be grateful for any additional comments (I did try it in BW but preferred the touch of colour)

[attachment=22999:_1060072.jpg]
It doesn't work for me: I'm not sure what the subject is supposed to be. The chimneys at the left seem not to be sharp and they have odd-looking halos.

I do like the hotel shot you posted earlier, though.

Jeremy

JamiePeters

Some photos from Norway
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »

Like the norway, very nice and modern look.  Good job.  JP
Pages: [1]   Go Up