Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645D full resolution studio shot  (Read 13492 times)

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
Pentax 645D full resolution studio shot
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:55:37 pm »

An retouched jpeg out of the new Pentax 645D.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/13377977@N04/...388515/sizes/o/

It looks pretty good to me, especially the color.
I love the natural look of the eyes.

As a landscape shooter my opinion might not hold water.
I'm interested to see what some of you studio shooters think.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:52:12 pm »

Quote from: mhecker*
An retouched jpeg out of the new Pentax 645D.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/13377977@N04/...388515/sizes/o/

It looks pretty good to me, especially the color.
I love the natural look of the eyes.

As a landscape shooter my opinion might not hold water.
I'm interested to see what some of you studio shooters think.
Thanks for posting. I, too, am a seascape/landscape shooter, and am waiting patiently for the 645D to hit the US. I have four beautiful manual focus 645 lenses (45mm, 55mm, 75mm, and 80~160 zoom). I shot with the film 645 and 645AF bodies, then sold them when I switched to digital. I always thought Pentax MF was a great value when compared to other MF systems. I down loaded the full size file, and the eyelash detail is amazing. If this camera performs in the field as sharp as this, it would be a winner.
Dave G in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »

I found the bluring arownd the neck too artificial, but indeed, quality is there and for a great price.
It will be difficult to beat.

This Pentax comes just in an economic crisis with the right price.

This might have consequences in the MF sales.

I'm waiting a duel Pentax-Leica S2. On this website after the summer?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:21:24 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
I'm waiting a duel Pentax-Leica S2. On this website after the summer?

I'm knocking on doors in back-alleys across Asia to get my hands on one.....so keep watching!

- Nick.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:57:50 pm »

Quote from: ndevlin
I'm knocking on doors in back-alleys across Asia to get my hands on one.....so keep watching!

- Nick.
They are on ebay right now.

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:12:48 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
Thanks for posting. I, too, am a seascape/landscape shooter, and am waiting patiently for the 645D to hit the US. I have four beautiful manual focus 645 lenses (45mm, 55mm, 75mm, and 80~160 zoom). I shot with the film 645 and 645AF bodies, then sold them when I switched to digital. I always thought Pentax MF was a great value when compared to other MF systems. I down loaded the full size file, and the eyelash detail is amazing. If this camera performs in the field as sharp as this, it would be a winner.
Dave G in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

I still have a couple of P67 lenses, a 55/4 and a 165/4 LS -assuming 67/645 adaptor works on 645D, wonder how they would perform with a digital sensor?

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 04:49:27 am »

One problem: you just can't judge a camera's performance when you use electronic flash - the right flash can overcome all manner of camera vibrations and failures, from mirror bounce to shutter vibration...

As has been said, wait for 'field' - literally - usage before making landscape assumptions.

Rob C

aaron

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:19:12 am »

Quote from: NigelC
I still have a couple of P67 lenses, a 55/4 and a 165/4 LS -assuming 67/645 adaptor works on 645D, wonder how they would perform with a digital sensor?

The portrait shot linked to in the first post was shot with the Pentax 67 105mm Lens and 67 to 645 adapter, so it looks like your set.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 11:33:42 am »

Quote from: aaron
The portrait shot linked to in the first post was shot with the Pentax 67 105mm Lens and 67 to 645 adapter, so it looks like your set.
I would guess that, since the 645D would use only the central part of the 67 image circle, that soft edges etc would be eliminated. Using the "swet spot" as they say. I agree with the comment about strobe. Back in 1960 I had a 500 C, with 150mm Zeiss lens. I was making portraits of our young son with amateur 500 watt flood lights, and tripod. Exposures were in the realm of 1/30th at f4. I later got strobes and shot at 1/125th or 1/250 as I recall,  at f11or 16 . All of a sudden my lenses became razor sharp!
Dave

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 09:19:45 am »

There is a review and comparisons of landscape shots in Nihon Camera, June issue, which also has a Pentax 645 ad on the back cover.

Jpeg images (!) have been used for a full page comparison against a D3x. It's interesting how Jpeg is creeping back into test methodologies, especially since Nihon Camera has a full-page back cover ad for the Pentax so it cannot be suspected of bias towards the Nikon.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »

645D not available here in Australia for review until September.

That sample image (girls face) is nowhere near as sharp as some portraits I shot yesterday on the S2 with the 70mm lens at f2.8. I realise that I'm looking at a jpeg and that I don't know the processing methods, but taking it at face value it's not very impressive.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »

It also seems significantly less sharp than the H4D-40. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the sensors, but I am expecting/hoping for similar performance.

shelby_lewis

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »

almost everything I've seen from the 645D hasn't been very sharp. Colors have been nice... "natural" might describe them. And there's lots of resolution, but almost everything I've seen has looked like it's almost had an AA filter involved. Who knows if it's mirror bounce or what. The files are pretty, but unremarkable (so far).

I can't wait for more examples to hit the street, though. The very character we've all seen from it so far (no so bitingly sharp) might make it a great portrait camera once people get it "figured out".

Plus... there's the whole lens-learning-curve that the market is going to have to go through while we all sort out which pentax lenses perform most effectively on digital.

jbottazz

Re: Pentax 645D full resolution studio shot
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:25 am »

Some available light first shot :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27863106@N07/4982733704/sizes/o/in/set-72157624938971922/
JPEG in limited light environment using pentax 35mm 3.5 setting something like f8 1/10s iso 800

a bit noisy but you can recognize the many faces in the public at full resolution, motion blur for the sumo wrestlers because of speed.

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:19:11 am »

I think it looks pretty good, all things considered. The noise structure isn't offensive. A little noise reduction in CS5 would probably work wonders. The dynamic range is good.

jbottazz

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:55:31 am »

for the dynamic range - I had to apply so gradient to reveal some elements of the roof -- the rest of the pics is pretty much out of the box otherwise, also I had to convert the dng file to jpeg to put on flickr (I cannot put more than 20mb and the dng is 40mb).
Pages: [1]   Go Up