Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global panoramic stitch.  (Read 1524 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Global panoramic stitch.
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:43:06 am »

The global quicktime interactive pans, how are they achieved, is it stitched fisheye shots?

Kevin.
Kevin.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Global panoramic stitch.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:44:02 am »

Quote from: KevinA
The global quicktime interactive pans, how are they achieved, is it stitched fisheye shots?

Hi Kevin,

When using fisheye lenses to shoot the surroundings it only takes a limited number of images, so it's relatively quick. When using other types of lenses, with longer focal lengths, it just takes more image tiles to cover the 360x180 degree field of view. Both can result in essentially the same results, with the faster fisheye approach having a lower resolution (but sufficient for many purposes).

The individual images are combined with a pano-stitching software, usually into a so-called equirectangular projection image file. That projection can be used as a basis for different types of output, flash being a popular one on all platforms except iPhone. A very useful program for doing that final conversion to flash in Pano2VR. Pano2VR also assists in editing of the Zenith and Nadir of a 360 degree VR pano. Pano2VR also allows to scroll through and zoom in/out a large regular (rectilinear projection) file.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Global panoramic stitch.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:39:51 am »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Hi Kevin,

When using fisheye lenses to shoot the surroundings it only takes a limited number of images, so it's relatively quick. When using other types of lenses, with longer focal lengths, it just takes more image tiles to cover the 360x180 degree field of view. Both can result in essentially the same results, with the faster fisheye approach having a lower resolution (but sufficient for many purposes).

The individual images are combined with a pano-stitching software, usually into a so-called equirectangular projection image file. That projection can be used as a basis for different types of output, flash being a popular one on all platforms except iPhone. A very useful program for doing that final conversion to flash in Pano2VR. Pano2VR also assists in editing of the Zenith and Nadir of a 360 degree VR pano. Pano2VR also allows to scroll through and zoom in/out a large regular (rectilinear projection) file.

Cheers,
Bart

Thank you Bart, that covers it all I think. The Fisheye is going to be best for my use, I have PTGui Pro which I am trying to learn, does Pano2VR have something I must have that's not covered by PTGui Pro.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Global panoramic stitch.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:17:50 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
..., does Pano2VR have something I must have that's not covered by PTGui Pro.

I don't know PTGUIs capabilities for producing Quicktime movies or flash output from an equirectangular projection, but Pano2VR produces an output that can be easily displayed in a browser to look around and zoom in with a keyboard or mouse. Otherwise you will have to supply a viewer application for others to see your scenes. It is also a great help in editing the areas (tripod/feet) under the camera and the sky above it for a seamless transition (AKA Nadir and Zenith).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:22:32 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up