Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel photography: medium format film the best choice?  (Read 5290 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Travel photography: medium format film the best choice?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 12:15:07 am »

I think there was a long thread about 2 years ago by AndersHK where he posted some color shots in film (drum scan) and a 39mpx back. To me the film was still a better looking file. Don't know if the same would be true with todays H4D50 or p65+ but I only shoot film once in a while for fun. No way would I consider it cheaper in any way. Takes more time or more money and mostly likely both.    So I agree with the previous posters...  

But probably any comparisons between film and digital should be broken into two categories - black and white film vs digital and color film vs digital.
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:39 am »

Hi,

My view, based on experience is that a 20+ MPixel DSLR essentially matches MF film. My case was Pentax 67 and Sony Alpha 900.

Largest print I ever made from 67 MF was 70x100 cm, and it was stunning. Experiments I have made indicate that my Sony Alpha 900 matches Pentax 67 and Velvia in resolution, possibly with a very sliht advantage to the Pentax on high contrast detail.

To sum up my experience: 67 film may match a 24 MP DSLR in sharpness, but the DSLR is much more flexible in tonality and color. Also, digital is just that more convenient..

My findings are here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...-sony-alpha-900

With drum scanners you may get better results than what I have.

You may also check this page containing references to other articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...vs-mfdb-vs-film

Anders HK, also on these forums, likes drum scanned Velvia: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....&pid=153549

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: dzeanah
Background: over a decade ago I shot primarily with medium format equipment.  I eventually moved to a Fuji S2, then to a Fuji S5 Pro for wedding work.  I'm now doing more personal work and I'm finding that the S5 simply isn't meeting my needs, but before I go out and spend a bunch of money and effort I wanted to get some opinions here.

The issue: I'm looking for image quality comparable to what I used to get from medium format back in the day.  I have some 40x60 inch prints that I printed from 645 negatives that are wonderful, but I'm not using the same processes that I used to.  Back then it was carefully processed B&W negative film that was printed by professional printers for anything larger than 16x20.  Now my workflow has moved to digital and I've been happy with the switch, except that I find that 16x20 is really pushing it for the images that come out of my camera.  I want to be able to print to 40x60 for those (unfortunately very rare) images worthy of large printing again.  Most won't get this treatment, but I don't want to be disappointed with an image that I'm really pleased with because it can't be printed as large as I would like.

I still "see" in black and white, but I'm no longer at a point in my life where I wish to process everything myself, and I'm reasonably happy with B&W conversions and digital printing (I'll likely depend on professionals for big prints for the forseeable future.)

The decision: Do I go back to film?  I'm looking at KEH's web site and I see some amazing prices on quality gear.  Good 645 kit from Mamiya and Pentax can be had for $1,000 or so for a complete system, the Fuji rangefinders are very affordable at sizes from 645 to 6x9 (though are limited to a single focal length, with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies), and the Bronica RF is even affordable.  Unfortunately the Mamiya 7 is quite pricy, so that's probably out in the short term.

I have no idea who does good processing though (ideally with scans of the images for post-processing indexing and planning), and I don't really know what price to budget for per roll of 120 film.  To be honest I don't even know whether I should be shooting slides (which I still love) or negative film if my intent is to send the film to a lab to be scanned and printed at their facility.  When I was last shooting weddings with film (with Leica and Mamiya rangefinders, which in hindsight I should have never sold) I was budgeting about $1 per frame for film, processing, and proofing.  Is that still a reasonable price point?

I'd love to hear that something like an A900 can produce the kind of image quality that would allow for big enlargements, but I doubt that's the case other than for portraits (something I'm moving away from.)  The digital backs likely can, but the cheapest point of entry seems to be Mamiya with a $9,999 entry fee.

Can someone give me some guidance?

Are there any reasonable projections that would indicate when digital alternatives will be viable (even used)?  I'd love it if someone could say that "for this image size you need a capture xxx megapixels in size, and following the history we can predict that these will be availeble in 20xx, and the used market tends to show a xx% reduction in value over 3 years, so you ought to be able to do this with used equipment in 20xx for less than $x,xxx in today's dollars."  I seriously doubt this kind of analysis is available, however.    

To the moderators: this seemed like the best place for this.  Please feel free to move it if there's a better spot.
Erik Kaffehr

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 03:31:17 am »

Sometimes I go with film, other times I go with digital. Or sometimes I shoot both. It's great having it both ways.

dzeanah

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:48 am »

Thanks for all the replies, folks.  Now that I've read them, and your links, and spent another 8 hours reading articles/reviews/colums on the site, I've got a much better idea of where I stand.  So, I'll start another topic that's more specific, rather than drifting this one.

Again, thanks for the comments.  You've really helped me get my head straight.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up