Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nostalgic or what?  (Read 7246 times)

revaaron

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:33 am »

Quote from: sojournerphoto
I tend not to use ice unless it's really necessary and my black & white comes out of the closet (yes!) clean. The stndard holder is better than it's given redit for if you keep the rubber rails clean and free of grease, load it carefully and tension the film a bit. Nice flat scans in focus from edge to edge. You can also modify them to take a piece of etched glass on top of the film only, which reduces Newton rings etc and holds the glass flat (you might check that your glass carrier has the glass loaded witht he etched side to the emulsion surface - I've heard of it being put in the wrong way round). If all that fails then you can wet mount  -either make it work yourself, or go to scan science. I've not done that yet, but people say it adds another level to the results in exchange for being slower and messy.

Good luck, it's great when it works.

Mike

my film always curls too much on the regular holder.. and every single thing I scan with the glass holder has newton rings. I will check the position of the glass tonight. I'm not impressed by ICE either on the MF I've done.  It seems to do an awesome job with dirty 35, but I put in a negative with dust on it not paying attention and it's hard to see, but it looks like it's snowing there are so many white spots.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »

Concerning that unorderly behaving film:

1. Iron it
2. Scan it in the regular holder

ad 1.: When I put film (120) in the glass holder and wait a bit it becomes so flat, I can easily scan it in the standard holder.

revaaron

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08:17 am »

I'm really not that keen on ironing. plus, I don't have an iron.
I wish that the film was 100% flat since I'm scanning a crap load of 35mm negatives now and they look SOOO good.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 08:18:05 am »

Quote from: revaaron
I'm really not that keen on ironing. plus, I don't have an iron.
I wish that the film was 100% flat since I'm scanning a crap load of 35mm negatives now and they look SOOO good.

Hell, no !
With "ironing" I meant the squeezing of the film between two flat surfaces and wait a bit.
I thought I had made that clear.
You could just take a bunch of negatives and store them between some big heavy books for some time.
I came to that idea, because I had problems with Newton rings on the glass mount, since I mounted dry,
and when I removed the film (tried with both: 35 mm and 120 MF  film) it was very flat, at least for some time before curling up again.

Professional

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 08:51:44 am »

Or wash the film again and add a wetting agent if necessary and then hang it with clips up and one at bottom to keep the film roll straight and flat, keep to be dry and here you go.

fredjeang

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 08:56:13 am »

Quote from: Professional
Or wash the film again and add a wetting agent if necessary and then hang it with clips up and one at bottom to keep the film roll straight and flat, keep to be dry and here you go.
Yeah, I did the same when I was young and crazy in Paris. My bathroom was full of those hanged fimls with the clips as a weight. The wetting stuff works very well.

revaaron

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:36 am »

I'm flattening all my film in a book with a weight on it, but when I pull them out, they curl a bit again.  The regular holder seems to have lost it's hold on the film too. so the film slips out when you try to tighten it.

I scanned a ton of negatives today that worked very well (35mm)

sojournerphoto

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »

I'm flattening all my film in a book with a weight on it, but when I pull them out, they curl a bit again.  The regular holder seems to have lost it's hold on the film too. so the film slips out when you try to tighten it.

I scanned a ton of negatives today that worked very well (35mm)

A couple of thoughts - clean the rubber strips along the edges of the roll film holder with alcohol - this should remove the grease that lets the film slip - and check the film is also clean. See Dante Stella's website for some more information on this approach (google will find him!)

I've also seen a modification to the standard holder where someone removed the film holder bits - they said the hinges unclipped without damage, but I'd be tempted to get a new holder - and then laid a piece of etched glass on top of the film (etched side down) only. The glass needs to be cut accurately to fit the holder and is supposed to be effective in holding the film flat. This works as film tends to curl around the emulsion, so glass can flatten it from the other side. You cold go the whole hog and make a wet mount holder like this, but that's a whole other topic.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Christoph C. Feldhaim

Nostalgic or what?
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:56 am »

you mean 9000 ed? the 5000 doesn't scan 6x9.
Erm .. right - its the 9000 .. sorry I messed it up like usually...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up