Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning camera exterior  (Read 2909 times)

NigelC

Cleaning camera exterior
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:11:58 am »

My new 5D2 having just arrived, need to get 5D as good as I can to go on ebay - any thoughts on what to use and what to avoid to clean all the black bits, especially mud embedded deep in the nooks and crannies of the rubberised grips. Don't suppose anything can restore the original finish where it has rubbed shiny?

francois

Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:37 am »

Quote from: NigelC
My new 5D2 having just arrived, need to get 5D as good as I can to go on ebay - any thoughts on what to use and what to avoid to clean all the black bits, especially mud embedded deep in the nooks and crannies of the rubberised grips. Don't suppose anything can restore the original finish where it has rubbed shiny?
You can use an old toothbrush, then clean with a damp micro-fiber cloth. I don't think that the shiny rubber look can be safely restored. There's some silicon based spray or liquids used mostly for car cleaning/restoration that could be useful but they might render your rubber slippery and some do also carry an unpleasanr smell.
Francois

ejmartin

Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:16:35 am »

Quote from: francois
There's some silicon based spray or liquids used mostly for car cleaning/restoration that could be useful but they might render your rubber slippery and some do also carry an unpleasanr smell.

Unless you would like your camera to smell like a new car  
emil

Roger Calixto

Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:17:37 am »

When I took apart my 30D I realized that these grips peel off very easily and can be readily replaced. Why not spend a couple bucks and put on a new grip?

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:18:10 am by Roger Calixto »
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

alanscape

Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:24:23 am »

Quote from: NigelC

I don't need to say this but.... no petroleum based 'anything' for cleaning. I've done this job countless times and for rubber grips I use that little brush that comes with your battery/mains shaver and a minute drop of  shampoo, gently brush with tepid water usind circular motions (except for where it's joined to the body) then dab dry and DON'T get it too wet. This is best done in small steps rather than a 'good cleaning' approach.

The shine may be shine or it may be grease from your skin, like all cleaning "Try on a small area first".

The shine on the non rubberised areas may be best left as it (except for dirt)  but around dials and switches again gently brush the reccess with the shaver brush but almost dry this time. I have used some sensor cleaning fluid on the metal areas but if the solution's too strong it'll cause a white residue to be deposited.

The 40D was one I did for a pal just recently. I don't try to 'Tart' up a camera, only to clean it. [attachment=22949:DSC05102.jpg]

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:52:23 am »

Pharmacy alcohol, the purest kind. Use with caution. Cotton buds and cotton to apply and stroke/clean with.

Try small hidden spot first to test.

Can help rubber look better, but not turn old faded into new. On textured rubber need more apply and brush in than on paint.

I have not find it to leave any residue or dissolve any surface yet, but try careful on small surface first.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:53:39 am by Anders_HK »

francois

Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:43:50 am »

Quote from: ejmartin
Unless you would like your camera to smell like a new car  

Camera stores should sell a miracle product to produce the "Brand New Camera®" smell.
Francois

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Cleaning camera exterior
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Pharmacy alcohol, the purest kind. Use with caution. Cotton buds and cotton to apply and stroke/clean with.

Try small hidden spot first to test.

Can help rubber look better, but not turn old faded into new. On textured rubber need more apply and brush in than on paint.

I have not find it to leave any residue or dissolve any surface yet, but try careful on small surface first.

Regards
Anders

Similar...

I use the alcohol prep pads I use to clean my insulin injection sites.

They work great and clean out the crap in the rubber grips.  Last I cleaned a well used 1DsmkI and the rubber was all whitish.  The only thing that cut it was the alcohol pads.  The pads are dirt cheap.  A box of 100 for 2 bucks....
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up