Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Server / Software  (Read 5205 times)

dkiang

RIP Server / Software
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »

About a decade  back when I was starting out in digital.  There was much talk about using a RIP server to handle the printing.  It would be in fact superior to the canned drivers from the factory.  Does this hold true these days?  I don't hear anyone really using a RIP software anymore.  At least very little on this forum.

Phil Indeblanc

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:28:08 am »

Quote from: dkiang
About a decade  back when I was starting out in digital.  There was much talk about using a RIP server to handle the printing.  It would be in fact superior to the canned drivers from the factory.  Does this hold true these days?  I don't hear anyone really using a RIP software anymore.  At least very little on this forum.

I still use a RIP, and if you are doing any CMYK work it is really ideal, if not necessary.  The one you pick helps with the production needs you would have.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

shewhorn

• http://
RIP Server / Software
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:32 pm »

With the new x300 series printers from Canon I'd be quite surprised if you could get noticeably better results from a RIP than from the Photoshop Plugin.

Cheers, Joe

Phil Indeblanc

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:39:00 pm »

Quote from: shewhorn
With the new x300 series printers from Canon I'd be quite surprised if you could get noticeably better results from a RIP than from the Photoshop Plugin.

Cheers, Joe

RIP is not only for better results. Depending on your needs....on your RIP......

Often when doing commercial work you will need a proof, and if it is for magazine work, you will need a contract proof, which is CMYK.
ONLY a RIP can give you this SWOP proof (as far as I know)...Or an actual press sample run.  Its not for oneself that this is done, its to adhear to a standard for consistant reproduction.

Sven W

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 04:27:12 pm »

To RIP or not to RIP.....that needs pages to describe.
I use to recommend customers as follows:
If you just prints on a few papers and on sheets; get good profiles and use the driver.
Even b&w works today.
But.....
If you're going to deliver certified cmyk-proofs; Epson 79/9900 w/ SpectroProofer + Efi ColorProof XF.
Working with ten different media on ten different sizes, rolls, sheets, true b&w, another(better) screening, controlled ink lay-down, step-and-repeat, tiling a.s.o.; purchase  ImagePrint

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

shewhorn

• http://
RIP Server / Software
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:38:52 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
RIP is not only for better results. Depending on your needs....on your RIP......

Absoutely. Given the way the OP's question was worded however, I believe they were specifically talking about IQ. I could be wrong though.

Cheers, Joe

Phil Indeblanc

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:02:39 pm »

Absoutely. Given the way the OP's question was worded however, I believe they were specifically talking about IQ. I could be wrong though.

Cheers, Joe

You're likely right :-)

Sven,

I don't think ImagePrint does contract (swop/Fogra for EU) proofs?  Some rips will give you dot pattern which is closest to a press proof.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
RIP Server / Software
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »

Cheers, Joe
I certainly won't disagree with the fact that the new Canons' deliver terrific output.  

However, if judging strictly from image quality from RGB files,  I don't believe noticeably better results can be obtained from any of the newer printers using a RIP, including the previous generation Canon x100 series, as well as the Epson x880 and x900 printers. I don't have experience with the HP 3200 but am guessing the same applies with it.  It's more about the screening in the printers as well as the improved profiles and drivers for these printers.  Many years ago RIPs offered superior screening and dithering, thus better image quality.  And while there might be those that believe the RIP still offers superior screening, if it does happen to be true, the difference is negligible.  Michael frequently uses the word "quibble" ... I believe this would be appropriate here.

As others have mentioned, using a RIP is more about the other things it can do for you, which sometimes are very valuable still.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
RIP Server / Software
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 02:51:16 am »

There is a PS offering with the Z3200/3100 HP. It is a full blown hardware chipped Adobe onboard processor which handles most file formats and color spaces. It does however always convert to rgb so independent K transforms are not possible.

It is a good rip and inexpensive, which doesn't add yet another dongle or application on the host.

The colorimetric character thus is maintained in RGB identical to the photo non rip PS models.

Sven W

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:07:37 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
You're likely right :-)

Sven,

I don't think ImagePrint does contract (swop/Fogra for EU) proofs?

No, that's why I use Efi for proofs and the rest goes through ImagePrint.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Phil Indeblanc

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 03:23:30 am »

Always great to see you chime in Neil. You are the HP expert, and Rip expert for that matter.

I am actually moving towards teh ipf6300, as I still have the last printer you helped me with 3/4+ years ago ....Its old but does the proofing job, and the blacks are still the deepest I have seen. Any guesses what that was? :-)

------

I too use the EFI Sven. Were you not happy with the photo proofing of the EFI? or you are doing lots of BW, and I can understand ImagePrint shine on that from what I have heard.

Cheers

Ernst Dinkla

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:19:39 am »

Quote from: Sven W
Working with ten different media on ten different sizes, rolls, sheets, true b&w, another(better) screening, controlled ink lay-down, step-and-repeat, tiling a.s.o.; purchase  ImagePrint

/Sven

Half of that is also covered by Qimage + its job, session, setting, etc recall feature + the OEM driver. Qimage's extrapolation, up and down, adding to the usually excellent screening of today's drivers.

True B&W is available at least in the HP Z model drivers.

Postscript interpretation by Adobe applications or Ghostscript, Jaws, etc if that kind of format printing isn't your usual job.

RIPs can have additional features like printing registration marks for cutting plotters or Fotoba trimmers.

There is not that much left for RIPs that is unique but the certified proofing, film separations and driving special printers that have no normal drivers. The last are usually printing on substrates that need that controlled ink lay down. Most substrates usable on water based inkjet printers can rely on one of the media presets already available in the drivers or on slightly adapted media presets as possible with the HP Z models.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Sven W

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:08:45 pm »

Well, Ernst
It must be a hard time for Z-printer users, not supported by ImagePrint  

/Sven
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:10:19 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

Ernst Dinkla

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 05:12:00 pm »

Quote from: Sven W
Well, Ernst
It must be a hard time for Z-printer users, not supported by ImagePrint  

/Sven

Two excellent RIPs that support the Z models: EFI and GMG. Some that try to achieve it but fail more or less. Some not even trying.

Driving N-color printers isn't that easy. I have the Wasatch SoftRip 6.2 that can drive them but not as good on color as the HP driver does and the  extrapolation isn't up to Qimage level. But it has many of the features discussed here and a 16 bit pipeline. Qimage + the drivers do the job for me most of the time. Neil uses Qimage too as far as I know.

Yes, with no support of ImagePrint Z-printer users must be desperate .............

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

deanwork

RIP Server / Software
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:04 pm »

That's hilarious Ernst,  we're just so desperate we can't sleep at night.

Studio print does support the Z series and these difficult 12  channels. But as with the Canon there is certainly no need for it for most of us. I do some silk, linen, cotton fabric and kozo work and the Z even linearizes that well right in the machine. I guess there may be some specialized fabric media that would benefit from more precise ink limitation, but I haven't needed to upgrade my Studio Print 12 for that capability. If I did cymk proofing I might consider it, but I don't.

QImage is really the perfect add on to the Z driver in its ability to deal with multiple image layouts, extra long lengths and such. The primary reason I use it though is is amazing resampling capability, especially with big prints from dslr files. The output sharpening quality is so good that it alone is well worth its total price. It is kind of a silly looking interface,  and it only works on windows, but it damn sure works. I would advise anyone to take a trial run with it for a few days and compare to the resampling of the straight HP driver. I can't comment on the Canon plug in. I think it must be quite good and is high bit capable.

john

Yes, with no support of ImagePrint Z-printer users must be desperate .............

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up