Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small series on fences  (Read 1625 times)

SJ.Butel

Small series on fences
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »

Hey,
Here is a small series on fences that I have been taking this year.  

A color at the end to get your senses back

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Small series on fences
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »

Steve, They're interesting shots. I'd vote for the first as best, even though you've out Anseled Ansel with the contrast manipulations. To my eye though, some of the others fail because of a lack of depth of field. In this kind of shot I don't think you can afford to let either the foreground or background drop out of focus. They're all tripod, tiny hole, slow shutter-speed situations. But then, landscape isn't my forte, so I'll leave it to the landscape folks to decide whether or not I'm right.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Small series on fences
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »

I'll agree with much of what Russ said. I'm especially bothered by the lack of depth of field in the second.

I do think this is the start of a very promising group and I hope you'll keep at it for many more fences. The fourth one has a special charm.

Eric
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:41:25 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

SJ.Butel

Small series on fences
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:05:15 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys it is much appreciated.

RSL, you may say landscapes are not your forte, but from the pictures i've seen i don't care because clearly you have more of an idea than most landscape photographers who focus in the area (including me) so your comments are most welcome.

Ya, i did go a bit more overboard than usual with the burn brush on the first one but I was very happy with the result (this time:)).

Honestly they were all shot on a tripod with mf + live view and I was trying for the shortish dof to bring more focus towards the barbs in the barbed wire but i understand what you mean and  looking back I see that at the very least i should of stopped down for another shot after.

Glad you like the last one Eric, i made two exposures to blend the focus but it didn't have the same effect and I was not sure  what others would think about the out of focus bits.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:08:02 pm by SteveButel »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Small series on fences
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »

The first one is also my favourite.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Joe Behar

Small series on fences
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:40:00 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Steve, They're interesting shots. I'd vote for the first as best, even though you've out Anseled Ansel with the contrast manipulations. To my eye though, some of the others fail because of a lack of depth of field. In this kind of shot I don't think you can afford to let either the foreground or background drop out of focus.

What he said.

Ed Blagden

Small series on fences
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:13:17 am »

Number 4 is my favourite composition.  I think it would be better if I could see the top of the tree - you could have done this by moving a fraction to the left, or by removing the offending icicle!  I suppose that is pre rather than post processing.

Number 1 is a good composition but to my taste it is a bit over-Anseled.  But this is just a matter of taste and you obviously got what you wanted, which is what matters.  The Anseling may work better when displayed as a large print.

Good potential in this series I think.

Ed

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Small series on fences
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:31:29 am »

Interestig series. I too like the first the most but I can't avoid the nagging suspicion that it would have been a better photo without the fence...

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up