Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deleting folders  (Read 1461 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
deleting folders
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »

Can this be done in LR? I seem to remember that it used to be possible, perhaps in v1, but it doesn't seem to be possible now. I can remove images from the LR library and optionally delete them (move to Trash); I can remove folders from the library but I can't delete them from the filesystem.

Am I missing something?

Jeremy

wtlloyd

deleting folders
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »

I don't know - they show up as deleted in Vista's Explorer and when viewing the directories in Breezebrowser Pro.....I'm using LR3

Quote from: kikashi
Can this be done in LR? I seem to remember that it used to be possible, perhaps in v1, but it doesn't seem to be possible now. I can remove images from the LR library and optionally delete them (move to Trash); I can remove folders from the library but I can't delete them from the filesystem.

Am I missing something?

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
deleting folders
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »

Okay, I created a subfolder called 'Test' in Lightroom 3, right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove'.  Went to the Pictures folder outside of Lightroom (Windows 7), and the 'Test' folder was gone.  I then created a 'Test' subfolder in Lightroom and moved an image into it.  When I right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove', I got a message from Lightroom telling me that the folder contains one photo and that if I continued the folder and the image would be removed from Lightroom but left on the drive.  Are the folders you're trying to remove from Lightroom empty?

Mike.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:14:15 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
deleting folders
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Okay, I created a subfolder called 'Test' in Lightroom 3, right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove'.  Went to the Pictures folder outside of Lightroom (Windows 7), and the 'Test' folder was gone.  I then created a 'Test' subfolder in Lightroom and moved an image into it.  When I right-clicked on it and selected 'Remove', I got a message from Lightroom telling me that the folder contains one photo and that if I continued the folder and the image would be removed from Lightroom but left on the drive.  Are the folders you're trying to remove from Lightroom empty?

Mike.
That's what I was missing, Mike. Thanks. So it's a two-stage process: delete the contents, then delete the folder.

I'm not sure what the thought processes were behind the decision to implement deleting a folder in that way: why not have the option of moving the folder and its contents to the Trash, as exists for deleting individual photos?

Jeremy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
deleting folders
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 03:02:48 pm »

It's just in case you forget that a folder has something else in it. If for some reason a folder contained a Word file or something else that had never been in Lightroom, you'd not notice that file's deletion until you emptied the recycle bin - if you noticed its loss at all.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up