Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10D -vs- D60?  (Read 6751 times)

Ben Jacobsen

10D -vs- D60?
« on: March 03, 2003, 03:25:54 pm »

sorry, but will it be easy to get or backordered for the next year too?

Ben Jacobsen

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 09:58:03 am »

Alright, well, I went for it.  I ordered my 10D last night.  They said it would be here in 2~4 weeks, so who knows when I will actually get it.  Supposedly canon stopped taking orders for the D60 a month ago becuase of the 10Ds release. so maybe they will have cameras out soon.  I had been on a waiting list last march for the D60, but when I moved I figured I would wait until I could have the instant gratification of getting it in a store.  That never happened, so now I am going for the 10D.  I was torn like many others over which camera to get.  I shoot a lot of sports and the 1D was a great option also, but I just can't justify the ~$4000 for a smaller image size.  I have a 1Nrs and I figure when I need the fps I will shoot that and scan it.  This way I still have the fastest fps on earth at 10fps and a 6mp digital camera.  When I need fps I need 8+ for skiing/snowboarding/skateboarding action sequences so 3fps will do for anything else.  Plus the pelicular mirror on the 1Nrs is great for action.  I see myself eventually getting the new 1D that will undoubtably come out this fall.  It will be at least 8fps and a bigger buffer (>3secs.) with better resolution.  Until then I'm sure I will enjoy my 10d.  Sorry to go on for so long but I had to share my justification with some other photographers.  Maybe someone else is thinking along these same lines.

Ben Jacobsen

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:23:05 pm »

That is a sweet picture!  I wish it was a bit bigger to take a closer look at it, but awesome none the less.  I'm not going to be using my 10D for anything moving too fast, but I will share my thoughs as soon as I get it.  As I said I use the 1Nrs for fast moving objects, and it is rock solid, and I don't miss the action either.  I shoot a lot of jumps with skiers ans snowboarders, and I never used to be able to appreciate what they actually did until the film came back, but with the mirror not closeing off the viewfinder I don't miss a beat.  Checkout My Webpage.  It's a very sad old one from college, but there is a sequence on the opening page to see what I do.  Thats for the comment though.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 11:18:36 am »

I see myself eventually getting the new 1D that will undoubtably come out this fall.  It will be at least 8fps and a bigger buffer (>3secs.) with better resolution.  Until then I'm sure I will enjoy my 10d.  
I'll bet a nickle that whatever comes out in the fall will be less than 8fps.  My understanding is that a EOS 3 digital equivalent is what's expected.  

http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseries/en/eos_news.html

But I love collecting rumours so if there is anything out there (other the DPR) I'd like to take a look...

Ben Jacobsen

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 03:22:08 pm »

What exactaly is the difference between these 2.  Seems like they fixed the AF a bit, but it's the same chip right?  Also what is the price going to be?  Anyone here anything on the other models yet?  Later this week maybe?

Rick Hearn

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 08:40:01 pm »

Here is a summary of the differences:

DP Review 10D vs D60

Andre Benschop

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 11:00:37 am »

Hi Ben,

I agree with you. I don't shoot sports, but chase fighter aircraft during air shows, exercises and special events. I own an EOS3-HS and recently rented a D-60. I went up to 9000+ feet in the Swiss Alps to capture small F-5 fighter aircraft as they come round a mountain to line up for the gunnery range and shoot with their onboard guns. Although most of the images looked fine on the D-60's LCD (even enlarged), uploading the images to Photoshop was not a pleasant surprise: most of the images were not sharp. Just a few made it to meet my criteria. I used a 100-400, but the images from the EOS-3 and the same lens did render sharp results, so I just know it's the D-60'S poor AF that killed me here (walking for 2+ hours in the snow, carrying an EOS-3HS, D-60, 100-400; 20-35 L; 28-70 L hurts..).
I sure hope that the 10D is better in terms of AF performance. Luckily, I rented the D-60 from a good friend at a great price. I am still wondering whether or not the 10D will perform as desired, being able to keep track of aircraft hurdling towards me at 300 MpH. I am going to invest in a 300mm f/2.8 IS lens, which is probably the fastest lens out there. Time will tell....
Check: http://www.fighterpics.com/Fighters/F5/X_IMG_0055M.jpg
to see what I mean.

Bye Bye,
Andre

john van rosendaal

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2003, 10:14:29 pm »

Andre,
Cool shot. Did you make that one with the D60. If so, how did you make sure your metering was correct, since I assume the D60 doesn't have spot metering and the sky would easily throw the meter off.
Thanks,
John

Andre Benschop

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2003, 01:03:30 pm »

Hi John,

The shot was just exposed using no compensation whatsoever. Using matrix metering, that's all. It is a small crop of an image that is aprox. 3 times lager in both width and height. Lucky shot. Some adjustments in PS (USM using 500/0.3/1 after applying a median filter with a radius of 3 on the steel blue sky...)  Many of the others were out of focus, because of the poor tracking (AI Servo) capabilities of the D60. I do hope the 10D will do better in this respect. I would like to try and buy a used 300mm f/2.8 L IS USM and sell my slower 100-400 IS zoom, which is a remarkable lens too.
Anybody want to sell his/her 300 2.8 IS ???

Regards,

Andre

Ben Jacobsen

10D -vs- D60?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 12:34:48 pm »

if we look at that site and you combine the D40 and D80 specs it is the 10D.  It is a D60 with improved features mentioned for the D80 but with the price of the D40.  What could be any better than that?  The new digital D3/replacement for the 1D will have a high framerate.  There is no way that canon will shoot themselves in the foot and loose the sports market they have worked so hard to get.  If you look at the history of the upgrades this makes sence too.  The D30->D60->10D progression has always been announced in march at PMA and the 1D->1Ds has always been announced in the fall, so this fall we will see a new 1D (who knows what it will be called), but I bet it will be something 1D related and it will be in the 6~8 mp tange with 8fps speed and a better memory buffer.  It will probably have the same memory buffer as the 1Ds and be able to maintain a higher framerate in jpg mode due to the smaller file size.  Canon need to do this to really kill the compitition in the sports field.  The !d will then go out of production.  These are just predictions, but I know I will enjoy my 10D and won't see an upgrade for it until march next year, but I don't need more than 6mp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up