Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Epson paper on an Canon IPF6300  (Read 10960 times)

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Using Epson paper on an Canon IPF6300
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:26:17 pm »

I've just ordered a new 24" printer. After some head scratching, and comparing the Epson 7900 with the Canon IPF6300, I went with the Canon.

I'm still not sure that it was the right decision: I've used Epson printers since their very first photo printer came out, and I'm used to the Epson media (I do a lot of my printing on Epson Exhibition Fibre). What eventually swung me over to the Canon, was the way that Epson sometimes treats their customers. It seems that the 7900 is a complicated printer to build, and sometimes they don't turn out quite right. Based on what I've read in this forum, it seems that when that happens, Epson's reponse varies widely from commendable to attrocious.

Now the problem for me, is using the Epson paper. The Canon has a nice self-calibration feature, but it only works on Canon media. I suspect that the Canon media is OK, but it's not what Canon is known for, and I like the Epson stuff.

So now I'm looking for Epson paper profiles for the IPF6300. I don't really want to buy a spectrophotometer just for printing: the Canon's self-calibration is probably adequate, and the Epson media is pretty consistent. So I imagine that I should be able to install profiles for the Epson media that I use, and not have to re-calibrate all of the time - an occasional self-calibration using Canon paper should be adequate.

Does anyone have profiles which they are willing to share? I know that Booksmart has a profile service, but I only use a few paper types, and also don't know how good their profiles are. Is there another source of decent profiles for this printer?

Thanks for any suggestions!

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »

The built in self calibration does not profile papers. In ensures that the print heads are delivering ink properly for that specific printer's media types. The new media configuration tool is supposed to be able to import media profiles for third party papers, but again this is not an icc profile for the paper. The media profile tells the printer how thick the paper is, how much ink to put down for a given surface type, what the ink drying time should be and what paper transport to use.

To get accurate color from an Epson paper, you still need to create an icc profile for the Canon printer with a device like the Xrite Color Munki, DataColor Spyder3 Studio etc.
Gerald J Skrocki

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:34:39 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
The built in self calibration does not profile papers. In ensures that the print heads are delivering ink properly for that specific printer's media types. The new media configuration tool is supposed to be able to import media profiles for third party papers, but again this is not an icc profile for the paper. The media profile tells the printer how thick the paper is, how much ink to put down for a given surface type, what the ink drying time should be and what paper transport to use.

To get accurate color from an Epson paper, you still need to create an icc profile for the Canon printer with a device like the Xrite Color Munki, DataColor Spyder3 Studio etc.

Thanks for your clarification. Yes, I understand that the Canon's self calibration function just calibrates the ink delivery system, and that you still need both a media profile and an ICC profile for every new paper.

I was thinking that the media profile and ICC profile are both funtions of the paper, which in Epson's case, is quite consistent from batch to batch. So I don't see having to create a new ICC profile every so often, the way you have to for a monitor (because the monitor's backlight and pigments change over time).

I was just hoping to find a source of media and ICC profiles for the Epson media.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

mshowe

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:49:38 pm »

Eric Chan builds great profiles for any printer paper combination for $20.00 us.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:05:11 pm »

Quote from: mshowe
Eric Chan builds great profiles for any printer paper combination for $20.00 us.

Thanks! - I'm guessing that you mean the Eric Chan who works for Adobe:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/photos/profiles.html

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

The ipf calibration will ensure consistency over time so that you don't have to keep re-profiling.  I definitely suggest using one of the officially supported Canon papers for calibrating. I used the HW Coated roll that came with the printer for this, and that's all I'm going to use it for going forward so it should last me a while.

If you really want to use Epson media, you'll have to find a custom profiling service or get a profling package to DIY. It might be easier to find a 3rd-party paper you like, since all the major manufacturers provide profiles for the ipf printers and you won't have to worry about getting a custom profile made.

I've got a profile for Epson Premium Luster that I could share with you, but that's the only Epson paper I've profiled. If you want it, PM me.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »

Quote from: JohnHeerema
I've just ordered a new 24" printer. After some head scratching, and comparing the Epson 7900 with the Canon IPF6300, I went with the Canon.

Does anyone have profiles which they are willing to share? I know that Booksmart has a profile service, but I only use a few paper types, and also don't know how good their profiles are. Is there another source of decent profiles for this printer?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I recently bought a Canon iPF6300. It's a great machine; you'll love it.
The calibration function simply tells the printer what its output looks like, and permits it to "zero itself". This process is basically 'paper independent'. You still need to use good quality ICC profiles to get predictable output. Canon obviously provides profiles for their own media. I've been very happy with output on  Photo rag baryta using the profile Hahnemüle provides on their website.

Obviously neither Epson nor Canon have any incentive to provide profiles for a competitor's paper or printer, so if you want to use Epson exhibition fiber on your iPF6300 you'll either have to get one made for you, or make it yourself. It's hard to beat that $20 price someone mentions from Eric Chan. Booksmart makes very good profiles, but I'd bet the iPF6300 is too new to be represented in their download library, so you'd have to pay for a custom profile. They charge $249 for up to 4 custom profiles, which is fairly reasonable.

Making your own profiles is a big money & time committment. X-Rite's "Color munki" is the bare minimum hardware requirement, and results will be better from the full bore iOne system, which is about $1,500.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »

Thanks Jeff and Geoff!

I do hope that I love the IPF6300 (although I'm already thinking that 24" just isn't going to be big enough).

I have reflective IT8 targets from Wolf Faust, so I suppose that I could use a reflective scanner (or maybe even a macro lens & DSLR), plus some of the PD software for creating ICC profiles (such as scarse) to create ICC profiles - but they would be a lot of work to create, and wouldn't account for the effect of optical brighteners ... so if I can pay someone else to create a proper profile, I'd sure prefer to go that way!

As far as there not being any incentive for Epson or Canon to provide ICC profiles for their media, I'm not so sure - in addition to being printer manufacturers, they are also in the business of selling paper. So if they can sell their paper to the users of another manufacturer's printer, that would be in their best interests. I think that it's just tunnel vision that keeps them from even considering the possiblity that people might like their paper, but not buy their printers.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:52 am »

So now I'm looking for Epson paper profiles for the IPF6300. I don't really want to buy a spectrophotometer just for printing.

Honestly I would just pick up a used spectro off eBay. I bought a Spyder2 (which was upgradable on the software side to Spyder3Print) for less than $200, and have used it many, many, times to build profiles.

The Canon wiki is also very useful if you're new to printing with the Canon. You can check it out at http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

mburke

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:56 am »

I recently bought an ipf6300 and a bunch of sample packs of paper. I profiled them with the colormunki, which with rebate only ran around $330. It did a great job on both the monitor and the paper profile. 3rd party papers generally have some generic profiles that come very close. By the way, I absolutely love the 6300. The colors and quality are fabulous. I purchased a roll of Canon luster that produces beautiful prints. Really happy with the purchase. I would suggest you get a munki and profile the Epson paper. I am looking forward to getting some 17 x22 Epson to try out on this printer. This is really fun.

Mike

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 09:51:58 am »

Thanks Jeff and Geoff!

I do hope that I love the IPF6300 (although I'm already thinking that 24" just isn't going to be big enough).

I have reflective IT8 targets from Wolf Faust, so I suppose that I could use a reflective scanner (or maybe even a macro lens & DSLR), plus some of the PD software for creating ICC profiles (such as scarse) to create ICC profiles - but they would be a lot of work to create, and wouldn't account for the effect of optical brighteners ... so if I can pay someone else to create a proper profile, I'd sure prefer to go that way!

As far as there not being any incentive for Epson or Canon to provide ICC profiles for their media, I'm not so sure - in addition to being printer manufacturers, they are also in the business of selling paper. So if they can sell their paper to the users of another manufacturer's printer, that would be in their best interests. I think that it's just tunnel vision that keeps them from even considering the possiblity that people might like their paper, but not buy their printers.

John,
I had my 7900 for about a month and realized it was too small for all the larger gallery wrap work I wanted to do. I purchased the 9900 last Dec. and it is the one I should have purchased in the first place. I thought about selling the 7900 then just elected to keep it as the hit would have been about $1500 or more.
I keep one on pk and the other mk and switch only on a rare occasion. It is nice at workshops to have an extra.

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:31:33 pm »

The Epson photo media works great on the HPZ3100 that makes its on linearization for 3rd party papers. I would assume the same for the thermal inks on the Canon with a custom linearizaton and icc profile.

How is the gloss differential and bronzing situation with the Epson Exhibition fiber gloss media look on the  Canon IPF 6300? From that review these papers were doing excellent and very smooth.

john

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I recently bought a Canon iPF6300. It's a great machine; you'll love it.
The calibration function simply tells the printer what its output looks like, and permits it to "zero itself". This process is basically 'paper independent'. You still need to use good quality ICC profiles to get predictable output. Canon obviously provides profiles for their own media. I've been very happy with output on  Photo rag baryta using the profile Hahnemüle provides on their website.

Obviously neither Epson nor Canon have any incentive to provide profiles for a competitor's paper or printer, so if you want to use Epson exhibition fiber on your iPF6300 you'll either have to get one made for you, or make it yourself. It's hard to beat that $20 price someone mentions from Eric Chan. Booksmart makes very good profiles, but I'd bet the iPF6300 is too new to be represented in their download library, so you'd have to pay for a custom profile. They charge $249 for up to 4 custom profiles, which is fairly reasonable.

Making your own profiles is a big money & time committment. X-Rite's "Color munki" is the bare minimum hardware requirement, and results will be better from the full bore iOne system, which is about $1,500.

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 05:39:27 pm »

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

Printing with the IPF6300, using profiles built by Eric Chan seems like a great solution.

Perhaps I'll end up going with a larger printer after all. There was a Canon promo that expired at the end of June. I placed my order a few days before the end of June, but the printer is on backorder, and Canon will only honor the promo for printers that were actually delivered in June! That was a surprise, and the current pricing is a few hundred dollars more, so I've cancelled the order... too bad, but perhaps there will be another promo in the fall!

Pages: [1]   Go Up