Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bird of Paradise Bloom  (Read 1158 times)

Ed Blagden

Bird of Paradise Bloom
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:52:25 am »

I'm mindful of Russ' and others strictures about there already being enough pictures of flowers, rock and trees in the world, but I'm quite happy with this one.  Taken in my garden yesterday evening.

[attachment=22932:_MG_3377.jpg]

Ed

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Bird of Paradise Bloom
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:13:30 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
I'm mindful of Russ' and others strictures about there already being enough pictures of flowers, rock and trees in the world, but I'm quite happy with this one.  Taken in my garden yesterday evening.

Ed
They are a fascinating flower, but I have seen many photos of them that don't do much for me. This one works. Nice!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

shutterpup

Bird of Paradise Bloom
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:58 am »

Ed

What beautiful simplicity!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Bird of Paradise Bloom
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

Nic pic, and congrats on the flower!  I had a bird of paradise plant once, but it didn't flower in the time I had it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Dick Roadnight

Bird of Paradise Bloom
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 05:20:20 pm »

Ed
This is a very easy flower to photograph side on like this, as you do not need much DOF, but I intend to shoot one obliquely with a view camera sometime... but I believe they only grow outside in the tropics?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ed Blagden

Bird of Paradise Bloom
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:39:32 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Nic pic, and congrats on the flower!  I had a bird of paradise plant once, but it didn't flower in the time I had it.

Mike.

Thanks, although I can't really take credit for the flower.  They grow like weeds here: 1400mm annual rainfall, 20-25C Daytime temperature all year round, plenty of sunshine, and recent (in geological terms) volcanic activity.  So it isn't exactly hard to grow stuff here.

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
This is a very easy flower to photograph side on like this, as you do not need much DOF, but I intend to shoot one obliquely with a view camera sometime... but I believe they only grow outside in the tropics?
Yes, not much DOF required here - this was shot from around 10' distance, with a 300mm f/4 lens stopped down to just f/5.6 so not much DOF to play with.  But that was the whole idea - blur out the background as much as possible so that the subject really "pops" out of the frame.  I had to spend some time with a pair of garden shears removing nearby background foliage in order to get this effect.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up