Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4  (Read 4920 times)

allenbirnbach

Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:07:45 pm »

Anyone out there using the new 2010 model Macbook Pro 13.3 in 2.4 GHz machine to shoot tethered with a Canon 5DMkII?  Trying to decide if this is enough, or if I need to go to the 15.4 i5 machine.  I understand that the i5 in the 15.4 will be faster, and will also have anti-glare glass. But the portability is a real issue for me, so I'd like to make the 13.3 work if it isn't really slow with Canon DPP.  I've worked with an older (probably 2 years old) 15.4 machine my assistant has, and it was a bit trying, but acceptable.

I recognize this is going to be anecdotal, but any feedback would be appreciated.

K.C.

Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:34:03 am »

I'm using the prior generation 2.53Ghz 13" with 4 GB of RAM to shoot tethered with the 5DII and find DPP and Capture 1 work great.

A friend has the new 15" and we tested shooting tethered side by side. At capture there's no noticeable difference. Opening CS4 or working in C1 there was a difference, but not what I expected. Batch processing is where the 15" would kick the 13"s butt. But I so rarely do that on location it's not an issue.

We also calibrated the two side by side, under the same light in the studio, and found there was more color gamut on the 15", but the difference was subtle.

The 13" is a lot nicer on the plane. It fits comfortably even when the big fat guy in front puts his seat all the way back.

allenbirnbach

Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:11:25 am »

Thanks so much for the feedback. Exactly what I was hoping for.  When I use the laptop on location, I just want my Art Director to see images pop up as I am shooting. Any heavy lifting is done back in the studio on an Intel Mac Pro, Eizo monitor, etc.

I may do a bit of video transfer, and I know Compressor will be much faster on the 15.4, but that is not my primary need.  And as you said, with travel being as challenging as it is now, smaller is better.

Thanks again!

Allen

Quote from: K.C.
I'm using the prior generation 2.53Ghz 13" with 4 GB of RAM to shoot tethered with the 5DII and find DPP and Capture 1 work great.

A friend has the new 15" and we tested shooting tethered side by side. At capture there's no noticeable difference. Opening CS4 or working in C1 there was a difference, but not what I expected. Batch processing is where the 15" would kick the 13"s butt. But I so rarely do that on location it's not an issue.

We also calibrated the two side by side, under the same light in the studio, and found there was more color gamut on the 15", but the difference was subtle.

The 13" is a lot nicer on the plane. It fits comfortably even when the big fat guy in front puts his seat all the way back.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

I've had a chance to tether my 13" Macbook Pro running LightRoom to couple of Canon DSLR's (40 and 50D) and felt that the major limiting factor was the USB transfer itself.  The battery life is simply amazing

If you have an iPhone, you might want to try On One's DSLR Remote - fun...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:43:36 pm by Joh.Murray »

allenbirnbach

Macbook Pro 13.3 vs 15.4
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:12 am »

Good feedback. I really don't understand why Canon abandoned Firewire and went to USB.  Ah, well.

Ordering my 13 inch tomorrow.  Thanks to all for the comments.

Allen

Quote from: Joh.Murray
I've had a chance to tether my 13" Macbook Pro running LightRoom to couple of Canon DSLR's (40 and 50D) and felt that the major limiting factor was the USB transfer itself.  The battery life is simply amazing

If you have an iPhone, you might want to try On One's DSLR Remote - fun...
Pages: [1]   Go Up