Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vancouver, BC, canada  (Read 3725 times)

EricChi

Vancouver, BC, canada
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:32:43 pm »

I'm going to visit Vancouver, BC for the first time in early August. I could be there for up to 2 weeks. So far, I have reserved one day for the Sea to Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. I'm looking for recommendations for good places for landscape and nature photography, and may be sight-seeing.

Eric

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:42:02 pm »

Quote from: EricChi
I'm going to visit Vancouver, BC for the first time in early August. I could be there for up to 2 weeks. So far, I have reserved one day for the Sea to Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. I'm looking for recommendations for good places for landscape and nature photography, and may be sight-seeing.

Eric

Stanley Park is an obvious starter. It's more or less central to the city and some pretty varied landscape there. There's a good walk that goes around Stanley Park along the beach and you've got sandy beaches plus more rocky areas. Stanley Park itself is full of trees/woodland and there's all manner of birds around. You can set yourself a good couple of days shooting there.

stevenf

Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »

I would recommend a trip to the West Coast of Vancouver Island to the Pacific Rim National Park.

Steven
Visit My Website

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:36:58 pm »

Oh boy... where to start?

Sea to sky highway, definitely.  Stanley Park too.  Squamish is on the way and the eagles winter there, but you'll probably find some in the summer too.  Whistler is a trip all it's own.  If you're feeling adventurous you can try the road up to Gold Bridge - the road is closed in winter and not exactly superhighway in the summer.  Golden Ears Provincial Park is just east of Vancouver at Maple Ridge and is also beautiful.  A trip to north Vancouver and a quick ferry ride west will put you on the 'Sunshine Coast' and there's a lot of beautiful scenery there.  Also in North Vancouver is Cypress Provincial Park and Capilano Gorge  If you go south you can head to White Rock, and at Delta there's the George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary .  In town there's Gastown and Granville Island, which is not far from Stanley Park.  If you're looking for a different kind of scenery you can check out the (clothing optional) Wreck Beach.  There's a lot more... Vancouver is THE metropolis for Canada's west coast.  You might take a look at Tourism Vancouver as well as Hello BC and BC Parks.  All of this only barely scratches the surface.

Mike.

P.S.  Being from Victoria I'm supposed to tell you not to bother coming over to Vancouver Island - it's cold and it rains all the time.  That's not true, but it keeps too many people from falling in love with the place.
If your mind is attuned t

SVFocus

Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »

Eric,

The opportunities are endless.  Here's a link that might give you some ideas:

http://www.localsknow.ca/search-page/?keyw...amp;x=0&y=0

EricChi

Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:14:13 pm »

AlastairMoore, Steven, Mike, and SVFocus,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

The more I researched, the richer I found the Vancouver area is. It's far beyond my imagination that the area seems so rich (culture/landscape/wild-life/even birds) that none of cities that I have ever been to: Taipei, SF, NYC..., can compare to it.

It's very clear to me that I should select a few spots and concentrate on them.

Eric

kpmedia

Re: Vancouver, BC, canada
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

When it comes to BC, I think you can point a lens in any direction, and find great scenes.
I know that's how I felt when I was there last.
Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.
Pages: [1]   Go Up