Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aanybody tested the new "Harman by Hahnemuhle" papers?  (Read 34921 times)

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Aanybody tested the new "Harman by Hahnemuhle" papers?
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »

What have you replaced the Harman with that has a similar finish?
Thanks.
Paul
Paul, I'm now using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. No, it is not the same, but it's very, very good. And I no longer worry about mounting causing problems.
John

pindman

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »

Thanks, John.

Is the surface a similar semi-gloss?  And my two main gripes with the Harman are curl (with rolls) and easy scratching.  How have you found those issues?

Thanks.

Paul

probep

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 11:49:22 pm »

Yes, I have a very good reason.

I sell prints to professionals that display them in galleries with
quartz halogen incandescent lamps. These have a CRI af 100 and temperature of about 2800-3000K.

The old type A illumenant is way closer to this lamp than the
D50 illumenant which simulates daylight at noon at mid-latitudes in the northern hemisphere.

I've always thought it's very silly to use a 5000K light source to preview a print when
it will probably never be viewed under those lighting conditions.  Of the several dozen people I know
who collect and view fine art photographs, only one is using Solex 5000K bulbs to view the prints.
Thanks for your explanation.
But... Do you prefer to profile your printer for type A illuminant also? If so how do you (or your clients) calibrate your display(s)? Setting 2800-3000 K for display's white point color temperature?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:17:47 am by probep »

nilo

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 12:04:16 am »

Is the surface a similar semi-gloss? 

Harman Gloss FB AL does not have a semi-gloss surface!? I find it more glossy, as in the name, with a texture-less surface. Scratching is a problem that I have with most Baryta papers. Coating helps a lot with that.

HARMAN technology Ltd

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:03 am »

COMPANY STATEMENT

HARMAN by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta and Gloss Baryta Warmtone

HARMAN technology Limited uses a traditional photographic baryta fibre base in the manufacture of HARMAN by Hahnemühle inkjet papers, GLOSS BARYTA and GLOSS BARYTA WARMTONE.

This is the same baryta base used in our traditional black and white exhibition quality photographic papers. GLOSS BARYTA and GLOSS BARYTA WARMTONE were designed using this key element in order to give users a unique product with the look and feel of a true photographic baryta paper

There has been no change to the Baryta base, or the coating formulation used in the manufacture of Gloss Baryta 320gsm and Gloss Baryta Warmtone 320gsm for the HARMAN by Hahnemühle product range.

The products manufactured for this range are the same as those used in the previous manufacture of HARMAN PHOTO PROFESSIONAL GLOSS FB Al 320gsm and HARMAN PHOTO PROFESSIONAL GLOSS FB Al WARMTONE 320gsm.

At HARMAN technology we regularly review our test processes and keep a comprehensive archive of test results. These results confirm that the products are the same today, as when they were originally launched in 2007.

There is and never has been any intention to change the design of these products.

Any change to the design or formulation of our products will be communicated to the market and consumer via our usual established routes.

Consumers using the new print profiles downloaded from the Hahnemühle website, may notice a change in product performance. For enquiries of this nature, please contact Hahnemühle Technical Service directly for support.

alain

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12:24 pm »

COMPANY STATEMENT

HARMAN technology Limited uses a traditional photographic baryta fibre base in the manufacture of HARMAN by Hahnemühle inkjet papers, GLOSS BARYTA and GLOSS BARYTA WARMTONE.

This is the same baryta base used in our traditional black and white exhibition quality photographic papers. GLOSS BARYTA and GLOSS BARYTA WARMTONE were designed using this key element in order to give users a unique product with the look and feel of a true photographic baryta paper

There has been no change to the Baryta base, or the coating formulation used in the manufacture of Gloss Baryta 320gsm and Gloss Baryta Warmtone 320gsm for the HARMAN by Hahnemühle product range.

The products manufactured for this range are the same as those used in the previous manufacture of HARMAN PHOTO PROFESSIONAL GLOSS FB Al 320gsm and HARMAN PHOTO PROFESSIONAL GLOSS FB Al WARMTONE 320gsm.

At HARMAN technology we regularly review our test processes and keep a comprehensive archive of test results. These results confirm that the products are the same today, as when they were originally launched in 2007.

There is and never has been any intention to change the design of these products.

Any change to the design or formulation of our products will be communicated to the market and consumer via our usual established routes.

Consumers using the new print profiles downloaded from the Hahnemühle website, may notice a change in product performance. For enquiries of this nature, please contact Hahnemühle Technical Service directly for support.

Thanks for the info.

BTW. Would love to get the 17 by 25 inch format back, A2 is a little to short.

pindman

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »

So everything is the same.  Is it correct to say that custom profiles made for the old FbAl should work fine with the Hahnemuhle papers?

Thanks.

Paul

COMPANY STATEMENT

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 04:30:33 am »

Thanks for the info.

BTW. Would love to get the 17 by 25 inch format back, A2 is a little to short.

+1

Jid

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:27 am »

Yes you can use the 'Old' Harman profiles for the Gloss and WT FB papers. I did a quick comparison and you should get a slightly better gamut using the Harman profiles, although the difference is very small.

Jid

Jid

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 05:46:01 am »

Am I missing something or is there no longer a matte baryta paper?

Yes it is .. I believe it can be obtained directly from the Harmanexpress website.

stevegoldenberg

• Steve Goldenberg Photography
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

So everything is the same.  Is it correct to say that custom profiles made for the old FbAl should work fine with the Hahnemuhle papers?

Paul, I'm using, and prefer, the original profile.  Check this post for more details:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=46110.msg387248#msg387248
Steve Goldenberg
Street &
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up