Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt. Rainier National Park mid July  (Read 2023 times)

mshea

Mt. Rainier National Park mid July
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:12:04 am »

Hi All,

I'll be staying at Cougar Rock campground for three nights in the middle of July. I'm thinking the high meadow flowers will have passed by that time, but I could be wrong. Also looking for interesting waterfalls and streams. Overnight hikes are out of the question, as I carry too much photo gear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Merrill

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »

Mid-July is not at all too late for wildflowers in the high meadows at Mount Rainier. Your timing should be just about right for flowers up at the Sunrise area. At Paradise, the best known area for wildflowers, the bloom is typically at peak sometime during the last week of July or first week of August. The view of Mount Rainier from Reflection Lakes should also be prime then.

Christine Falls and Narada Falls are short walks from well-marked pull-outs between Longmire and Paradise. Myrtle Falls is an easy hike from Paradise Lodge.

Cougar Rock Campground is a great base for many good photo locations on the south side of Rainier, but it's a bit far from Sunrise. If you have any flexibility, you might want to move to the White River Campground for one night so you'll have a much shorter drive to be at Sunrise at sunrise.

Mount Rainier is awesome - have a wonderful trip!

- Greg
- Greg
 w

mshea

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

Thanks so much, Greg. I really appreciate the suggestions!
Merrill

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

The Hike from Paradise up to Alta Vista summit will give you nice views of the Nisqually Glacier and looking back, at the Tatoosh range.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:27:56 am »

Not sure of how much hiking you want to do and how much climbing but tour timing will be perfect for the flower show. I highly recommend Grand Park. If you want to stay closer to the roads check out the NE side where you can find Sunrise side, or go to the SE side where you can find Paradise.

Not I'm pretty sure you can take a couple of chair lifts up to the peak of Crystal Mountain. It's an easy way to get into the high alpine country and there are miles of fabulous hikes. Crystal is one ridge to the east of Mt Rainier and has about 1/1000th the amount of visitors but all of the beauty that the area has to offer.

Pages: [1]   Go Up