Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7600, driver 8.19 OSX SL 10.6.4, Photoshop CS3 - HELP!  (Read 4508 times)

CormacHanley

Hi All,

First post so please go easy one me please.

Epson 7600, driver 8.19 OSX SL 10.6.4, Photoshop CS3 - HELP!

The colours just aren't right. Too dark even to use as basis for a new profile.

I read some mention of it over here including the link to the new driver on Epson's Europe site: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t42745.html

But to be honest I think I need some handholding through the whole process: new print menu and what settings for Colorsync etc.

In OSX 10.4.1.1 I used to print with photoshop manages colours and got along ok - But now I'm on new iMac and its an expensive upgrade to CS5 (Because I bought it as part of the suite), and even then no guarantee of success.

My aim is to print to Hahnemuele canned profile for Photo Rag, Epsons canned profiles for Archival Matte and Premium Lustre and even to make my own profiles with my PrintFix Pro.

Am I asking the impossible??

Thanks
Cormac

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:15:35 am »

Printing from CS3 is a real mix up of new and old print paths. I am not surprised you're seeing this.

I would guess with CS3 managing color the Color Matching in the driver dialog is defaulting to ColorSync and you cannot change it to Epson Color Controls. Is that correct?

Have you tried the old driver for the 7600?

Doyle
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:17:01 am by Doyle Yoder »

CormacHanley

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:32 am »

Quote from: Doyle Yoder
Printing from CS3 is a real mix up of new and old print paths. I am not surprised you're seeing this.

I would guess with CS3 managing color the Color Matching in the driver dialog is defaulting to ColorSync. Is that correct?

Have you tried the old driver for the 7600?

Doyle

Thanks Doyle.
Yes Colorsync is selected in the colour matching box and its all greyed out so can't be changed.

I tried originally with the old driver (I only became aware of the new one through the other post on the forum here).
They both produce prints that are off in the same way (colours way too dark etc).

I can print from CS3 from my wife's PBook g4 laptop running osx 10.4.1.1 and cs3, but she uses it all day for work so thats my last fallback option - a lot of late nights to print a new portfolio.

Sounds like even for those who have CS5 the troubles aren't over?

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:27:59 am »

See the thread below for combinations I have tested on the 9600 (and by implication the 7600).
I do not have access to any other versions.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=42745
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

CormacHanley

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:32:13 am »

Quote from: Ionaca
See the thread below for combinations I have tested on the 9600 (and by implication the 7600).
I do not have access to any other versions.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=42745

Thanks Ryan,

I did (I think) make a new version of the printer and set it to default, then printed to the 'old' version of the same printer (now NOT default)
No change in results though.

I've got a sinking feeling....

Thanks though.
Cormac

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:48:01 am »

Quote from: CormacHanley
Thanks Ryan,

I did (I think) make a new version of the printer and set it to default, then printed to the 'old' version of the same printer (now NOT default)
No change in results though.

I've got a sinking feeling....

Thanks though.
Cormac

At this point you should get a profile test image like the one here http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html. Do not alter this test image in any way. Print it and compare it to you monitor. Could be you monitor is way to bright. At least doing this will get you some idea of where you problems lie.

Typically if you're getting double profiling you will have color off as well, more than just to dark.

I do have a 10.6 box here with CS3 on it and will test it at sometime with my 9600. I just do not have time right now.

Doyle

CormacHanley

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 05:37:08 pm »

At this point you should get a profile test image like the one here http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html. Do not alter this test image in any way. Print it and compare it to you monitor. Could be you monitor is way to bright. At least doing this will get you some idea of where you problems lie.

Typically if you're getting double profiling you will have color off as well, more than just to dark.

I do have a 10.6 box here with CS3 on it and will test it at sometime with my 9600. I just do not have time right now.

Doyle
Thanks again Doyle,
I think it's double profiling or some other problem.

Have ruled out it being my screen (I always keep them calibrated)
and also the imges I'm printing I know are fine as they have gone to print fine on other and in printed publications without a hitch.

Still keeping hope of a simple fix.

Thanks again.

Cormac

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:24:20 pm »

Thanks again Doyle,
I think it's double profiling or some other problem.

Have ruled out it being my screen (I always keep them calibrated)
and also the imges I'm printing I know are fine as they have gone to print fine on other and in printed publications without a hitch.

Still keeping hope of a simple fix.

Thanks again.

Cormac
So, have you deleted the old printer from the print window and than added the new printer (driver)? Check the driver version.

CormacHanley

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
So, have you deleted the old printer from the print window and than added the new printer (driver)? Check the driver version.

Yep thanks was careful to eradicate the older driver before moving to 8.19 and driver now shows as 8.19

Thanks again
C

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »

Yep thanks was careful to eradicate the older driver before moving to 8.19 and driver now shows as 8.19

Thanks again
C

You did delete this complete EPSON folder?

…/Library/Printers/EPSON

Doyle

CormacHanley

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:48:25 am »

You did delete this complete EPSON folder?

…/Library/Printers/EPSON

Doyle

Yep I deleted that too when getting rid of old driver.

Thanks
Cormac

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:39:51 pm »

Yep I deleted that too when getting rid of old driver.

Thanks
Cormac

Ok, did a test. CS3 is junk with 10.6.3. CS4 prints fine with 10.6.3. Like I have said before CS3 seems to have been a transitional release between the two printing paths. While it acts in every way with the same setting as CS4 and 5 it does not print like it. If you don't want to upgrade to CS4 or 5 you'll need to go back to an OS and driver that will support CS3. Is there a workaround? Maybe, but probably a PITA. You could try to figure out what profile is being used by the driver when it does the conversion (double profiling) and assign that profile in PS before you send it using printer manages color and setting CM to Off in the driver. Assigning that profile is the last thing you do after you convert to the printer profile in PS. 10.6.3 seems to default to sRGB so you can try that as a starting point.

Good luck if you want to give it a try.

Doyle

CormacHanley

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »

Ok, did a test. CS3 is junk with 10.6.3. CS4 prints fine with 10.6.3. Like I have said before CS3 seems to have been a transitional release between the two printing paths. While it acts in every way with the same setting as CS4 and 5 it does not print like it. If you don't want to upgrade to CS4 or 5 you'll need to go back to an OS and driver that will support CS3. Is there a workaround? Maybe, but probably a PITA. You could try to figure out what profile is being used by the driver when it does the conversion (double profiling) and assign that profile in PS before you send it using printer manages color and setting CM to Off in the driver. Assigning that profile is the last thing you do after you convert to the printer profile in PS. 10.6.3 seems to default to sRGB so you can try that as a starting point.

Doyle

Hi Doyle

First off thanks so much for taking the time out to check things out with cs3.  

I'm trying a print right now using the conversion you describe (at least I think I am ; converting the actual image profile 'convert to profile' before setting printer manges collie and then sending to prong with cm turned off.
I'll let you know.

So if I do cough up the money and upgrade to cs5 - Will all my colour issues with the 7600 be over?

I'm I still hope to be able to make my own swatch read profiles with PrintFix Pro if the caned ones aren't quite hood enough.

And really - thanks so much again

Cormac

CormacHanley

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 03:58:51 pm »

Doyle

Ok looks like I'm out of luck. Tried the convert to profile and stopped the print half way through as it had horrendous colour shifts.

Even going back and printing on the laptop running tiger 10.1.1 is not giving great results with Epsom 3.09 driver ... I suspect there may be sn element of double profiling going on there too.

It looks like maybe cs5 is my only option - just hope it works.

Thanks
Cormac

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:16 pm »

Hi Doyle

First off thanks so much for taking the time out to check things out with cs3.  

I'm trying a print right now using the conversion you describe (at least I think I am ; converting the actual image profile 'convert to profile' before setting printer manges collie and then sending to prong with cm turned off.
I'll let you know.

So if I do cough up the money and upgrade to cs5 - Will all my colour issues with the 7600 be over?

I'm I still hope to be able to make my own swatch read profiles with PrintFix Pro if the caned ones aren't quite hood enough.

And really - thanks so much again

Cormac

After converting to your printer profile did you then assign sRGB in PS before printing with Printer Manages Color with CM off?

Doyle

CormacHanley

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 05:21:54 pm »

After converting to your printer profile did you then assign sRGB in PS before printing with Printer Manages Color with CM off?

Doyle

Ahh I see. I need to convert my image first to my desired print/paper profile and from there into the suspected default (forced) print space?

I hadn't done that. I just converted from prophoto to srgb.

Your prints to 9600/7600 through cs5 are working just fine from ps even with canned profiles and no need for workarounds?

Thanks as always
Cormac
Pages: [1]   Go Up