Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly Season  (Read 2997 times)

Rob C

Silly Season
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:31:46 pm »

For those unaccustomed to the British press, the Silly Season is the time when there is no incentive for the publication of real news. Obviously, that began, this year, with the Word Cup (a soccer football junket designed to make the rich richer and the poor madder).

As we have entered a local such season here on LuLa too, with the claims for 35mm digital cameras vs MF digital cameras, I though it appropriate to publish this image which I felt compelled to shoot this morning. It is wide open at 2.8 @ one zillionth of a sec. exposure time at ISO 200, which makes your day. As I had focussed carefully on the central(ish) flower by hand, it proves to me that the far reaches of screens are not to be depended upon for accurate focussing! Maybe it's a time warp and a two zillionth would have been better? Or it was just a silly flower?

Anyway, who remembers Kilroy?

Rob C

EDIT: as I don't use the same computer for internet trawls as I do for Photoshop, I have to burn images to a rewritable cd and then put that into this other computer to send the pic anywhere. Does anyone know if it is possible for a cd to go off and not copy properly what is sent to it? I notice that using this cd even the printing on images goes softish - not a lot of help for the pics! Or it could be eyestrain and others see the printing here as sharp? It would be interesting to know what you do see.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:04:59 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Silly Season
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »

Rob, your Kilroy is indeed very peacefull.

This place does not look dangerous  

But we should never underestimate the apparences...
that is why these endless threads, MF vs 35, CCD vs CMOS, Leica vs Nikon are still alive.

As for your CD issue, yes that can happen. Why not using a Pen? (not an olympus but a drive)
Much faster.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Silly Season
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:16:30 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
For those unaccustomed to the British press, the Silly Season is the time when there is no incentive for the publication of real news. Obviously, that began, this year, with the Word Cup (a soccer football junket designed to make the rich richer and the poor madder).

As we have entered a local such season here on LuLa too, with the claims for 35mm digital cameras vs MF digital cameras, I though it appropriate to publish this image which I felt compelled to shoot this morning. It is wide open at 2.8 @ one zillionth of a sec. exposure time at ISP 200, which makes your day. As I had focussed carefully on the central(ish) flower by hand, it proves to me that the far reaches of screens are not to be depended upon for accurate focussing! Maybe it's a time warp and a two zillionth would have been better? Or it was just a silly flower?

Anyway, who remembers Kilroy?

Rob C

EDIT: as I don't use the same computer for internet trawls as I do for Photoshop, I have to burn images to a rewritable cd and then put that into this other computer to send the pic anywhere. Does anyone know if it is possible for a cd to go off and not copy properly what is sent to it? I notice that using this cd even the printing on images goes softish - not a lot of help for the pics! Or it could be eyestrain and others see the printing here as sharp? It would be interesting to know what you do see.

I must say that I don't get the Kilroy reference. Wasn't he a little cartoon guy with his nose and fingers hanging over the edge of a wall?

Improper copying of a file to CD is not going to affect sharpness. Why not use a flash drive?

Rob C

Silly Season
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I must say that I don't get the Kilroy reference. Wasn't he a little cartoon guy with his nose and fingers hanging over the edge of a wall?

Improper copying of a file to CD is not going to affect sharpness. Why not use a flash drive?

Peter, you know perfectly well that I live on a rock in the middle of the Mediterranean. What's a flash drive? I do have a 4GB thinggy that looks like a small, flat, black disposable cigarette lighter with some grandchildren pics inside it that they gave me - guess that's Fred's Pen? Or is it a Flash?

(Not part of the silly season, the question; genuine one.)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Silly Season
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »

Rob,

Yes, that thinggy you describe is a flash drive, as Kilroy would tell you if he were still around today.

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Silly Season
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »

It's definitely not the silly season downunder. More like the cold and flu season.

Your red and yellow lantana flowers are definitely not on the good books down here too. Some types of lantana are classified as noxious weeds and they are the landscape photographer's enemy. The plants cause impenetrable thickets and block walking tracks.

And as for Kilroy was here – that's too American for us. Down here it was, "Foo was here" as shown below.

[attachment=22839:foo.jpg]

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

Silly Season
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:49 am »

Quote from: tom  b
It's definitely not the silly season downunder. More like the cold and flu season.

Your red and yellow lantana flowers are definitely not on the good books down here too. Some types of lantana are classified as noxious weeds and they are the landscape photographer's enemy. The plants cause impenetrable thickets and block walking tracks.

And as for Kilroy was here – that's too American for us. Down here it was, "Foo was here" as shown below.

[attachment=22839:foo.jpg]

Cheers,

Hi Tom

Unfortunate about the flower: here they call it the 'Bandera Española' - Spanish flag - for colourful, obvious reasons! But you are right: they are damn strong, can be cut down to around ten inches of stem and still grow into three-foot tall bushes within the year. Cheap, fill in space around the community and save on gardeners' bills! Rough on the skin, should you venture too close.

As far as I can suss out, Kilroy was supposedly an inspector in an arms production factory and he drew the little figure as his check or signature of having done the required inspections... sure caught on, though! But easily forged.

Rob C

Rob C

Silly Season
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »

Deleted, as in sell-by date.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:17:03 am by Rob C »

Rob C

Silly Season
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:24 am »

Another one that probably fits the silly season concept, but actually shot during the cold time of the year, is about fish.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:03:58 am by Rob C »

fredjeang

Silly Season
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:22:49 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Another one that probably fits the silly season concept, but actually shot during the cold time of the year, is about fish.

Rob C

Is that your weapon against the tourists ?

Print that pic cropped where the shark is, glue it on a sign near a beach you like and
paint these words: Peligro: Tiburones. (warning: Sharks)

Now you have your own private beach.

Rob C

Silly Season
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:04 am »

Quote from: fredjeang

Is that your weapon against the tourists ?

Print that pic cropped where the shark is, glue it on a sign near a beach you like and
paint these words: Peligro: Tiburones. (warning: Sharks)

Now you have your own private beach.

Are you kidding, Fred? They'd turn up in even greater number just to look! With their mobiles. But the ice cream peddlers would profit.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up