Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isle of Skye  (Read 3201 times)

AlastairMoore

• http://serialphotography.com
Isle of Skye
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

Hello chaps/chapesses,

I've recently joined the forum and thought I should start out with sharing a few shots. These were taken last year on a road trip around the islands of Scotland and so thought they'd be a good place to start. I've since relocated to New Zealand but haven't had a proper opportunity to shoot any of the amazing landscape we have over here. All in good time though

Anyway..

The Quiraing on Skye

Anyway, would appreciate any comments! Actually I would appreciate more about the processing of the images, more on the second. I love the light on the cows but not so sure about the background. I didn't do a great deal more than warm up the white balance, a bit of sharpening and I think that was mainly it.

Cheers,

Alastair
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:15:45 pm by AlastairMoore »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Isle of Skye
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:15:53 am »

Hi There, and welcome to the list!

My opinion, FWIW, the first one has some good lighting.  The second one I'd trash.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

Isle of Skye
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:12:30 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi There, and welcome to the list!

My opinion, FWIW, the first one has some good lighting.  The second one I'd trash.

Mike.

I think the second has potential. Did you make an exposure for the sky when you metered the scene? It looks as if you metered for the foreground. There is enough detail to enhance the sky in Photoshop. The second needs a sky comparable with the first to make it a better image.

francois

Isle of Skye
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:31 am »

I agree with Mike. The first image is very nice, light, clouds and water contribute to a successful photo. On the other hand, I find that on the second image, the sky is not helping the scene at all and the light is a bit flat. I'd also wish to see a bit more landscape on the right or from a slightly different point of view.
Francois

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Isle of Skye
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:58:42 am »

Hey Mike

Attune your mind to beauty and then have another look at the second pic!  

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

AlastairMoore

Isle of Skye
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:17:21 pm »

Quote from: stamper
I think the second has potential. Did you make an exposure for the sky when you metered the scene? It looks as if you metered for the foreground. There is enough detail to enhance the sky in Photoshop. The second needs a sky comparable with the first to make it a better image.

I might have a bash at reprocessing the sky in that one. I didn't take a second exposure unfortunately but I can probably salvage something from this. I did shoot a few similar images in this area so might go back and see what there is.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Alastair

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »

Hi Alastair
I really love the first image. Looking at it I know why the isle of Skye is top of me list of places to photograph.

Unlike what Mike says, I do not think you should trash image 2. I think potentially it can be a strong image. Have you shot the image in RAW? If you did, a second version for the highlights and masked the sky it would dramatically improve an image with a lot of potential. The composition is quite strong. Maybe have a look at doing it in Black and white. I think it could really work that way and bring out the drama of the scene.

Well done

AlastairMoore

Isle of Skye
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »

Thanks again chaps! I did shoot this one in the same area and processed it in black and white although I think it needs some reprocessing as I'm not that happy with it now I look at it again.

I might try the colour cows above with a similar style.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:30:23 pm by AlastairMoore »

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Isle of Skye
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 07:49:08 pm »

Quote from: AlastairMoore
Thanks again chaps! I did shoot this one in the same area and processed it in black and white although I think it needs some reprocessing as I'm not that happy with it now I look at it again.

I might try the colour cows above with a similar style.

Ya there's a bit of a sepia tone with your black and white conversion. It needs to be more neutral. I's darken the grass in the foreground a bit
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:49:42 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

JNHenry

Isle of Skye
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 10:02:48 am »

Alastair,

I like the picture of the Quiraing.  I was actually on Isle of Skye last week...spending today scanning the results of the trip.  Looks like you were at the Quiraing on a good day.  When I was there it was overcast, with no detail or interest in the flat sky.

I'm also relocating to Auckland in a few weeks.  Can't wait to photograph throughout New Zealand.

Cheers,

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up