Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: new large format stitching camera  (Read 8229 times)

jonathandavies

new large format stitching camera
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 11:18:12 am »

Hello

the tripod connection is a screw thread in the middle of the flared area connecting the focusing rack to the rear standard.

I won't be using another manufacturers platform as I'm planning to develop my product range over time, copying these fixtures would limit my own company's possible growth. I am certainly very happy to make modifications where possible, I would encourage customers to ask for new components, prototyping is generally an expensive process but if the changes have universal appeal I will work with you to design exactly what you need.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:43:36 am by jonathandavies »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 03:49:41 pm »

IMHO using any tripod mounting system other than Arca-Swiss is a mistake. It's the standard for high-end gear for good reason. At the very least, make sure an Arca-compatible plate can be securely attached to the camera (meaning with two screws, not just one). I would never buy a camera that I couldn't make work with Arca-Swiss mounts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:50:38 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

jonathandavies

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your comments and I will definitely address it. It was just the wrong choice of words on my part, when I was referring to not using another manufacturers platform I was really talking about their system as a whole, lens board compatibility, bellows mounts etc. As JdeV pointed out their are a number of other makers out there, each with their own subtle differences, aside from the limitations it would put on my product range I think I would be infringing on their design if I did this.

pcunite

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 02:40:03 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
At the very least, make sure an Arca-compatible plate can be securely attached to the camera (meaning with two screws, not just one). I would never buy a camera that I couldn't make work with Arca-Swiss mounts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Agreed.

jonathandavies

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 11:06:07 am »

Hi pcunite

As I said, I will address this. I should have been more specific in my original response to JdeV, that when using the word platform I was referring to camera parts not the tripod mount. It would never be my intention to isolate my customers from using industry standard fixtures.

jonathandavies

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 08:38:22 pm »

Hi everyone

I really do need help from forum members. I need to ask a very specific question and your replies, or lack of, may impact the decision I end up making. I have something of a dilemma, my reason for posting here was to gain a better understanding of what kind of demand exists for a product such as Stitching Camera. Unfortunately after 6 weeks I’m not really any better informed as to the viability of the product. I have had a number of people contact me directly to say they like the idea or that the product looks good, and some suggestions or words of support that the product could be successful should certain issues be addressed but not enough to warrant the expense involved in developing this further.

At present, I do not know if people are genuinely interested but waiting to see how the product will develop or whether they are simply curious observers. If it is the former, then without more feedback in the form of definite interest, the product is unlikely to develop any further. I cannot get the financial backing needed without some indication - in the form of orders or letters of intent - that customers exist and are interested in purchasing the product.

I understand that the product is still at the prototype stage and there are changes planned in the design but I can give a clearer idea of what I have in mind if this will help. I am planning, a range of 6 cameras, 3 medium format, 3 large format. There will be a basic model with horizontal and vertical shift at the rear, a model with the addition of tilt and swing at the front, and a model with additional tilt and swing at the rear and horizontal and vertical shift at the front. All the movements will be gear or lead-screw driven, and slides will run on linear guides. There will be an interchangeable view screen at the rear instead of the plate design currently shown, I feel this will result in a lighter set-up. Prices for the large format models will be £1586, £1800 and £2650 inc vat. Prices for the medium format versions have not been finalized but will be lower. I will be able to offer compatibility with Hasselblad, Leaf, Mamiya and Phase One digital backs as well as Canon, Nikon and Sigma dslrs (dslr mounts are available for the medium format Stitching Camera models only, the extra movement of the large format range is redundant when using a dslr).

I have to demonstrate the company’s potential both to myself and to the bank. If the cameras described are of enough interest to you to give a written indication of such, could you please contact me directly through the website?

Kind regards
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:42:58 pm by jonathandavies »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up