Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: additional display for live view  (Read 1321 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
additional display for live view
« on: June 27, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »

when I am in my Studio or a rented one, I use an Imac 24 for my tethereing software and an addtional 26" screen for my stylist to get their live view in front of them. works great. when I am on location though, we both look into my Macbook, me switching between shots and live view, which is a pain.

I am looking now for an aditional screen, possibly battery powered. any recommendations?

the Ipad comes to my mind, but my research hasn't brought up anything working yet. the 'Air Display' software might work, but as I see it I would need a WIFI network to get it running. and it is said to be too slow for video/live view.

the onOne software need Wifi too.

stefan
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

pcunite

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

We are all waiting on this like you. The iPad would be perfect for this but be prepared to wait for a software developer to address our needs. The iPad is very new... expect to see something before this year is over. In the meantime send an email to your favorite laptop manufacture asking where are the IPS displays now that the iPhone has one for heaven's sake?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:24:16 pm »

I've been investigating a lot of the solutions for the last two weeks. I thought I'd have an article written and published but I've been very busy and the matters are pretty technical if you want to give a full explanation.

However, you CAN do that absolutely with Air Display.

Notes (sorry I can't go into full details):
- create an ad-hoc network using your built-in wireless port (click on the wireless icon and "create network") with a 128 bit password. Preferably you'd have an Airport Extreme to offload this job to a dedicated device but it's not 100% needed.
- on the sending computer use AirDisplay to create a virtual desktop on your iMac and drag the thing you want to view there. Make the virtual desktop LOW RESOLUTION (using the standard system preferences panel) and if you're using an iPad then use exactly 1024x768 as the resolution of the virtual desktop. MUCH of the complaints about Airdispaly speed comes from people using it for very high res monitors. Resoultion is a squared function so 1024x768 is a LOT less data to transmit than the native resoluiton of the iMac.
- on the receiving device you can use any VNC program to "receive" the AirDisplay-generated monitor but the speed/stability/functionality depends very much on which one you use. I'm investigating several VNC apps and right now for the iPad I'm leaning towards iTeleport or iTap VNC but am not fully decided which is faster/more-stable (iTeleport wins by a mile on simplicity of setup). On the mac there are literally dozens of free and paid VNC clients including one built into the OS which will, again, have varying speed/stability. I have fewer recommendations for those.

now whether this is the best setup and worth the time/hassle will depend on a lot of factors about your shooting style and needs and level of tech-knowledge. I only provide some guidance on the way to make it work. Bcooter im sure will come in and say he doesn't think this setup would be worth the hassle and would be worse than nothing and he won't be wrong at all - he'll just be right for his personality, shooting style, and on-set needs. It's clearly not the world's most plug-and-play and elegant solution but I can vouch that if you know how to set everything up it can be a smooth way to add a portable 2nd viewing station that can walk around anywhere cable-free.

Another way of thinking about this "problem" would be to network two laptops by wireless (or ethernet cable) and setting up C1 on the main laptop to process a JPG to a folder directly on the 2nd laptop which can be set in C1 as a "hot folder" so it pops up automatically. You'd probably want to do this by manually pushing process (apple-D) on an image you want to "transmit" since processing every image to a JPG and transmitting it across wireless will certainly tax the heck out of a computer while shooting fast.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
Pages: [1]   Go Up