Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best non-DSLR HD video?  (Read 3639 times)

Plekto

Best non-DSLR HD video?
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:31:07 am »

I have a bit of a problem.  My mother has asked me to find her the best, smallest video camera possible for a somewhat reasonable price.  Her idea of "too large" is pretty much any DSLR other than the very smallest/lightest ones(think bridge camera size - stuff like a Rebe T2i is out).  I thought of suggesting a good video camera, but her camera is also ancient.  

So I looked at video cameras that also shot pictures, and most plain sucked.  So my search has come around to cameras with HD video function.

Here are the ideal specs:
CCD sensor or similar if 30fps.  CMOS at 60fps.  720P is fine.  Needs to function the same as a typical 300 or so dollar video camera, as a minimum.(frame wobbling/tearing isn't acceptable)  Needs to also be able to zoom while recording and not be jerky or have excessive motor noise(other reason for the need for an aux mic aside from the main quality issue)

No stupid 7 or 8 minute limits on recording.  30 minutes at a time is fine.

*must have aux mic connection/available*

10MP or better.  Her current one is 4MP and quite frankly sucks.  I thought to concentrate on the camera side more, since she shoots pictures 90% of the time, and most cameras have better optics as a rule than digital camcorders.

Other camera functions are not important as all, since 99% of the time, she'll leave it in auto mode for pictures.  

So far, I've checked out the following:
Coolpix P100
Fixepix HS10
Sony NEX-5
Leica V-Lux 20/Lumix ZS7
The newest Pen camera.(forget model number)
Are there any others that do good video? My main gripe with the ones above is worthless mics and a need for an aux mic.  Or they have a critical fault like the Leica's 7 minute max recording.  So far, nothing seems optimal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:35:16 am by Plekto »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Best non-DSLR HD video?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:05:52 am »

The Panasonic TM-700
Most if not all of these smaller cameras have poor built-in sound systems; the mic is just too close to the camera & operator to give anything more than reference audio
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:07:57 am by Chris Sanderson »

Plekto

Best non-DSLR HD video?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »

That would work well for a camcorder, but it also needs to be a decent camera(10MP actual, not 2-3MPX3) and half that size.  She uses her current camera about 95% of the time and the camcorder 5% of the time.  But she has a big reunion in the works and wants some HD video that at least looks somewhat clean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up