Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SanDisk 'WORM' Long Term Storage Solution  (Read 2411 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
SanDisk 'WORM' Long Term Storage Solution
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:36:34 am »

Not sure if anyone else saw this announcement - Once the cards get over 1GB it could be a good long term storage archive solution.

"IDG News Service - SanDisk on Wednesday announced a Secure Digital card that can store data for 100 years, but can be written on only once.

The WORM (write once, read many) card is “tamper proof” and data cannot be altered or deleted, SanDisk said in a statement. The card is designed for long-time preservation of crucial data like legal documents, medical files and forensic evidence, SanDisk said. The media comes with capacity of only 1GB. SanDisk determined the media’s 100-year data-retention lifespan based on internal tests conducted at normal room temperatures."

More info on my Blog
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ImplantImages

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:12:45 am »

Great idea but the only people I can think of that have any use for it are the Police. Can anyone else think of any use for them?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »

I wonder if these are more reliable than normal cards; otherwise there's little point using them for anyone outside forensic photography and some other very specific uses if they merely prevent overwriting.

Quote from: ImplantImages
Great idea but the only people I can think of that have any use for it are the Police. Can anyone else think of any use for them?

Given several cases of photojournalists doctoring photos to drive a certain agenda (this perhaps the best-known recent case) and the ease of manipulating images, I wouldn't be surprised if AP and Reuters demand such cards in the future to improve credibility.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Not sure if anyone else saw this announcement - Once the cards get over 1GB it could be a good long term storage archive solution.

"IDG News Service - SanDisk on Wednesday announced a Secure Digital card that can store data for 100 years, but can be written on only once.

The WORM (write once, read many) card is “tamper proof” and data cannot be altered or deleted, SanDisk said in a statement. The card is designed for long-time preservation of crucial data like legal documents, medical files and forensic evidence, SanDisk said. The media comes with capacity of only 1GB. SanDisk determined the media’s 100-year data-retention lifespan based on internal tests conducted at normal room temperatures."

More info on my Blog

And have they actually tested them for 100 years? No, duh! I wouldn't believe them for a second.

Plekto

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »

To be honest, a typical thumb drive works just as well if you put it in a safe and fairly climate controlled place(safe deposit box as an example).  They generally only fail on writing and not reading, so if you write it once and don't alter it, it's going to be there when you go back to retrieve it.  All this "new" technology is really is a modified SLC type version with no ability to re-write.   But any SLC type SSD or similar would work just as well.  MLC, OTOH, will degrade much faster.(this is unfortunately 95% of the market, so you have to check carefully)
Pages: [1]   Go Up