Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selective Colouring  (Read 1289 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Selective Colouring
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »

Hi Folks:

Stumbled upon this yesterday... I rarely shoot people, but Marcia and I are putting together a book of her poetry, and she wanted an image of herself for the back of the book.  I took an image of her I had processed in Lightroom, created a Virtual Copy, and converted that to B&W.  At first I didn't understand what I was seeing, but there was still some colour to the image, in her eyes and her lips.  For the colour image I had accentuated these areas using the Brush tool, and I had set the colour box to a salmon colour for the lips, and added a hint of blue to her eyes.  When I converted the image to B&W, these brush tool overlays stuck.  I removed those two brushes and the image became truly B&W.

At first I thought it was a bug, but then I got thinking about old B&W images that have been hand-coloured.  Photoshop would definitely be better for this, but if you had a steady hand and a pen tablet (and more talent than me), you could create a B&W image in LR and then hand colour it.  This would be different than selective desaturating, because you can add colours that weren't there in the first place.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Selective Colouring
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:38 am »

I have used the colour brush tool to correct for artifacts when using aggressive split tone. The new LR 3 tool is sometimes hard to reset to no colour, I don't know why.

What I usually do is retouch and edit a colour image in PS then make a virtual copy in LR of the edit image. Apply all the BW and tone I want, and work on that as a final copy. That way I can update the original edit image which in turn updates the vc, saving a lot of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up