Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pancake compressor for spraying?  (Read 6803 times)

natas

Pancake compressor for spraying?
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:49:47 pm »

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of canvas printing. I purchased a cheap pancake compressor so I could use it for stapling my canvas to stretcher bars. I currently use glamour II and roll it. It works most of the time but it's a pain. I was wondering if there was a chance that I could use this small compressor to spray my canvases. My normal size canvas prints are 20x30, I rarely do anything larger so it would be small jobs.

If I can use the compressor, what spray gun would work best?

Thanks

felix5616

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:05:30 am »

Quote from: natas
Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of canvas printing. I purchased a cheap pancake compressor so I could use it for stapling my canvas to stretcher bars. I currently use glamour II and roll it. It works most of the time but it's a pain. I was wondering if there was a chance that I could use this small compressor to spray my canvases. My normal size canvas prints are 20x30, I rarely do anything larger so it would be small jobs.

If I can use the compressor, what spray gun would work best?

Thanks
Look into an Earlex HVLP sprayer, modestly priced and easy to use.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:10:27 pm »

Pancake compressors are designed to work with pneumatic tools such as nailers and staplers. They aren't suitable for continuous air flow. You'd be better off with a Wagner HVLP sprayer for less than $100.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »

Hello,

I have used my pancake very successfully with my cheap fuji knockoff hvlp.
I must say,
I'm a beginner artist,
and under no circumstances should you not double check for yourself,
but
I have sprayed maybe 10,000 times.
Maybe less.
I know I've seen more walls than I care to elaborate on

Consistency is everything.
Now I know someone will chime in knowing more than I about spray set-ups
Dan Berg?
Anyway,
yes there is an art to keeping the material flowing,
and on a small scale I'm not sure you couldn't make dang near anything work.
I spray with conservative pressure and volume.
Just enough to establish a pattern that when looked at in unforgiving glare and light is desirous,
more than a thousand watts, more than three if you really want to see,
anyway,
conservative pressure and volume and a fan that's at least 2 inches and a desirous pattern
hahahaha
I know,
2 inches?
bah!!!
But I am talking about a 2 by 3 foot hunk of material being coated.
Now just tell me it won't work after you try one,
and I'll say yep,
that one didn't work.
I bet it will though.
60 psi @ 4 cfm will blow doors.
40 psi @ 2 cfm I'm not too sure about.
Let us know what happens.
Consistency - be the coating  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:25:03 pm by Rocco Penny »

Gemmtech

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:54:47 am »

This is rather simple, look at the specs of the gun and the compressor, if the AC can't keep up with the gun requirements it simply wont work for (read this) LARGE SPACES.  IOW, a pancake compressor will give you enough air to coat a photograph generally speaking, there's just not much square footage involved.  You don't need 10hp 80 gallon tank 2 stage delivering 24cfm at 175psi.  A pancake compressor is generally for air nailers, which require quick little shots of air, that's why co2 guns work.  You are not going to paint a car with a pancake compressor, however a photograph shouldn't be a problem.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 06:26:00 am »

I guess I am not the one to ask about pancake compressors for spraying  as my 10hp Ingersoll Rand takes up a 4 square foot corner of the shop. With an air dryer and  filter system it is really a commercial rig.
I use 2 Binks HVLP setups. The smaller gravity cup gun and a larger pressure pot system with 15 foot feed and air lines. It is not necessary to have this level of equipment for canvas varnishing.
I keep a smaller construction compressor but only use it for the Gallery Stretcher machine,no spraying. The problem with the small ones is just not enough cfm and cheap regulators. Many of these just cannot keep up with continous spraying at a steady pressure.
If you have one near you go to a Sherwin Williams store. They carry everything from the HVLP to airless systems and should let you try it out.
You also have an experienced staff that sells to professionals on a daily basis.
The only thing I would stay away from is a system that has long fluid lines. Too much wasted material especially if you are doing smaller quantities.
Also a pain to clean and you must keep these clean.
Good luck in your search and keep us informed of your choice.

Alaska

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »

Another possibility is try a HVLP conversion gun.  They are generally lower pressure.  The gravity feed types are inexpensive ($40) and may do a good job depending on how thick the material is.  Here is one such example.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvlp1.html

For a real HVLP unit take a look at the CabSpray CS 5100 - CS 9900 series.

natas

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:04:24 pm »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I took a look and the compressor I have only does 1 cfm at 40psi, so I think my chances are very low. I rather not risk wasting money on a gun that may or may not work.

Looks like I am just going to get a real HVLP setup
Pages: [1]   Go Up