Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANY THOUGHTS ON EPSON 7900???  (Read 3694 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
ANY THOUGHTS ON EPSON 7900???
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:21:13 am »

I'm about to order an Epson 7900 to replace my 7800. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? Any negative things that I should know?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

natas

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:28 am »

Quote from: bellimages
I'm about to order an Epson 7900 to replace my 7800. Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations? Any negative things that I should know?

What do you want to know?

I replaced my 4800 with a 7900 and its a nice change. The thing I really love about the 7900 is larger cart sizes and the roll handling. Changing paper takes me roughly 2-3 minutes total.

mkravit

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:32:06 pm »

The 7900 rocks! I also replaced my 4800 with this printer although I also own a 9800. The printer is fast, very quiet, and produces lovely output. Although I use Imageprint 8, I still have to say that the native 7900 output is very, very good.

Two thumbs up!

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:45:20 pm »

Jan

Its the best machine Epson has made to date..No Spindles Thats My Favorite!

The Bad..Well Rebates are going away till probably the fall..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

atodzia

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:19:44 am »

I got a 7900 a few months ago and love it.  I also am using a 3800 and previously had a 4000. The 7900 is very easy to use and the output is exceptional. Just be prepared to have a few people help you get it unpacked because it is a monster sized printer.  I got mine from www.shadesofpaper.com and I highly recommend talking to Jim Doyle when you are ready to buy this printer.

Andy

edt

• http://www.etimages.com
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:45:41 pm »

Have had mine 5 months. Was fearful of clogs given all the forum complaints.....

I turn mine OFF after every session, I do Nozzle Checks, I do pairs cleaning occasionally when needed, manually--I turned off the auto clean feature. Very few issues, very pleased buyer, 7900 is highly recommended.

bellimages

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:37 am »

Quote from: edt
Have had mine 5 months. Was fearful of clogs given all the forum complaints.....

I turn mine OFF after every session, I do Nozzle Checks, I do pairs cleaning occasionally when needed, manually--I turned off the auto clean feature. Very few issues, very pleased buyer, 7900 is highly recommended.
So what happens if an Epson's print heads clog to the point that you can't get them unclogged with cleaning cycles? I've never had that happen with my history of Epson printers -- 1280, 2400, 4000, 7800. But there are periods that the printer may sit a couple or three months without any output. So it concerns me. With Canon, you simply replace the head. Has Epson got smart and added that option on the 7900?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:17:28 am by bellimages »

bellimages

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:19:52 am »

I ordered my printer yesterday from Shades of Paper. Randy (my rep) has been great in helping me over the past couple of months .... with paper selection, and now the printer. Jim Doyle gave me a very competitive price. I would highly recommend establishing a relationship with them.

michael

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:31:02 am »

You can read my 7900 review here. It may well be the best printer ever made. Ditto for the larger 9900.

I have mine turned off for weeks at a time when I'm traveling, and then when I get back, turn it on, do a nozzle check, and start printing. I've never had a head clog that needed anything more than a simple cleaning cycle.

If you can't find printer happiness with the 7900, you never will.

Michael

bellimages

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 03:00:53 pm »

Everyone has told me that the 7900 is much more quiet, compared to the 7800. That's a nice little benefit, since my printer sits within two feet of where I sit. I just looked at the noise level rating for each of them on the Epson site. Both are shown at around 50 dB. Am I missing something?

bellimages

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »

Everyone has told me that the 7900 is much more quiet, compared to the 7800. That's a nice little benefit, since my printer sits within two feet of where I sit. I just looked at the noise level rating for each of them on the Epson site. Both are shown at around 50 dB. Am I missing something?
Michael, I just watched your video on the 7900, and now understand the noise level -- vacuum at start of job, then near silence while printing. Do you know how suction is maintained, if the sound of the vacuum is not heard during printing?

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:40:23 am »

Michael,

Why is that you mentioned twice in this review that Ultrachrome HDR inkset in regard to permanence "is as good as it gets". That is simply not the case. Epson is in third place behind Canon and significantly behind HP in the Wilhelm tests you mention.

I am also wondering if you have tested the latest Canon 8300 which sounds excellent and a big improvement over previous Canons in regard to dither, speed, gamut, and gloss differential and bronzing performance on gloss fiber media. Not to mention not having to still waste ink when switching from MK to PK.

But I do believe you that it is an excellent printer. I just don't think permanence for color is anything to write home about.

john

Quote from: michael
You can read my 7900 review here. It may well be the best printer ever made. Ditto for the larger 9900.

I have mine turned off for weeks at a time when I'm traveling, and then when I get back, turn it on, do a nozzle check, and start printing. I've never had a head clog that needed anything more than a simple cleaning cycle.

If you can't find printer happiness with the 7900, you never will.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:44:44 am by deanwork »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:09:40 am »

Quote from: deanwork
Michael,

Why is that you mentioned twice in this review that Ultrachrome HDR inkset in regard to permanence "is as good as it gets". That is simply not the case. Epson is in third place behind Canon and significantly behind HP in the Wilhelm tests you mention.

I am also wondering if you have tested the latest Canon 8300 which sounds excellent and a big improvement over previous Canons in regard to dither, speed, gamut, and gloss differential and bronzing performance on gloss fiber media. Not to mention not having to still waste ink when switching from MK to PK.

But I do believe you that it is an excellent printer. I just don't think permanence for color is anything to write home about.

john

John,
I am guessing you have been around this business for a long time and think you would recognize a brand allegiance quote when you hear one.
When I purchased my Nikon D2Xs several years back I would say that all the time. "This is as good as it gets"  Never even looked at or even considered another camera let alone a Canon.  
Same thing here I'm guessing to him it was as good as it gets. He was not comparing different printers against each other. Michael could certainly answer for himself.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:14:40 am by Dan Berg »

Gemmtech

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:01:05 am »

Dan, I don't agree with you regarding this issue, I believe Michael R is generally open minded and will say what is, is.  If you read the Wilhelm results it depends on what paper and type of photography you are doing as far as longevity (I'll admit most situations he has HP and Canon lasting longer) and the fact is nobody really knows how a print will look in 200 years and who really cares anyhow.  If a print will last 5 generations I don't believe those 5 generations will be interested in the print unless it is worth something, for most here they will be worth a sentimental amount.  Don't get hung up if print A will last 100 years and print B will last 300 years, that's like saying person A has $1 billion and person B has $5 Billion, it's irrelevant once you have 1.

I do believe that MR has tested and written glowing reviews regarding the Canon IPF Series and the HP Z series and I believe he has used both extensively for making his own prints.  I think MR even started using a Nikon DSLR    and proclaimed it to be the best.  I believe that all of the BIG 3 are putting out great printers and it will generally come down to the user.  If you like the Canon or HP printers buy one and then you can tell us your thoughts.

"I just don't think permanence for color is anything to write home about."

Why not?  Your grandchildren will be dead and the print will either be in the garbage or still hanging somewhere!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:03:26 am by Gemmtech »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:10:12 am »

When you routinely test gear, you hit a point where the subtlest differences become irrelevant to an end product.  In this case, I'd agree that the 7900 is as good as it gets:  Vibrant, accurate colors with dead neutral grays, razor sharp output with delicate fine detail, ability to print on just about any media, and comfortable UI.  At least it is until something better comes out
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:17 am »

Gemmetch,
 I took it as one of those "figure of speech quotes" nothing more nothing less.
The only folks that seem to have a different take on this are the owners of those other printers.
Just looking for something to do or I would not have responded to this at all. Another very hot very slow day.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:00:03 am by Dan Berg »

ghaynes754

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »

7900/9900 Rocks (get the 9900 you will miss the extra width if you do gallery wraps with the 7900)
Imageprint 8 Rocks

Together you have a landslide of immense proportions

Gary
www.reflectionsimaging.com

natas

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

There's a lot to say about brand loyalty. I have owned epsons for many years...i believe my first epson was a stylus 500. I bought epson for many years until i got the hp b9180. The hp worked good for a year then just failed horrible. Epson was no use at all and even cost mean additional hundred or so trying to fix it. They gave up said it needed to be replaced and offered me nothing to help me replace and cover the hundred i spent on new print heads.

So I bought a 4800 and was very happy. I later needed something larger and thought hard about the new canon until i saw it in person along with the 7900. The 7900 was just more impressive and I got lucky that day with the announcement of the $1000 rebate on the 7900.

If you know epson and are comfortable with it then stick with your brand i say. Epson has treated me very well over the years. I have had them replace bad carts, paper and they have been very helpful. Hp was horrible on the support side. Canon i use for photo gear and if they treat the customers the
 same then expect good results
Pages: [1]   Go Up