Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singapore  (Read 4422 times)

LukeH

• http://
Singapore
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:19:53 am »

Hey People,

I'm going to Singapore in a few weeks and was wondering  if anybody could give me some advice on the best places to shoot? Looking for anything I can get my hands on and aren't too sure where to start as I've never been there.
Cheers

Rob C

Singapore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:44:46 am »

Quote from: LukeH
Hey People,

I'm going to Singapore in a few weeks and was wondering  if anybody could give me some advice on the best places to shoot? Looking for anything I can get my hands on and aren't too sure where to start as I've never been there.
Cheers

Luke

It's a very small place with a lot of traffic; take care not to park where it looks easy because it will probably be illegal.

The hotels were very very good when I was there many years ago - Raffles has since been redone and the Singapore Sling will probably cost even more; the best prawns I ever eat were had there (not in Raffles) and also, don't underestimate Chinese Chablis - it can be beautiful. But then in that humidity, anything cold and smooth becomes exotic. They have horse racing; there are those fishing platforms out at sea (keelong, I think is the name) where we did some work that never saw the light of day even though it was excellent (miffed, bitter client didn't get room in the boat to get there and had to stay in the hotel, thus realising his real place in life) but that location was something engineered via a press contact so probably not that easy to fix for yourself...

At the time of my trip, shots pointing out to sea were pointless: moored oil tankers making wall-to-wall horizon, though maybe that's a subject in itself if not for a calendar. Beautiful airport, streets clean, chewing gum thankfully illegal so you can walk without sticking.

Bonus: the hotels actively discouraged tipping! How civilized and conducive to mutual dignity. Five gold stars for that - we should learn, here in the West.

Rob C

luxferous

Singapore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:53:52 am »

Hi Luke,

I am from Singapore so hopefully can be of help here to you.

Not sure what is your main interest in photography, cityscape or street. So I will just offer what I think is interesting.

You can go to this small island called Pulau Ubin, if you are into rustic places. It has small villages, dirt tracks, abandoned mining quarry, prawn farm etc. It's like Singapore back in the sixties. You can rent a bicycle there for less than Sing$5 a day to ride around. You can get there from the Changi Point Ferry Terminal.

Another interesting place you can go is Geylang which I think is THE chinatown of Singapore. It has interesting shop houses, alley ways and interesting people as this is the red light district.

A similar place like Geylang would be Serangoon. They are similar but Geylang is full of Chinese whereas Serangoon is the place where Indians congregate.

You can go to the 'official' chinatown, but, IMHO, it's too commercial as it's a tourist destination though there's a indian temple there which is quite 'photogenic'.

If you are into architecture, Raffles Hotel as mentioned by Rob is a very good example of a british colonial building. Another is the Fullerton Hotel which used to be a post office and the Old Parliament House / High Court at the Padang. They are all in close proximity with each other.

At night you can go along the Singapore River at Boat Quay or Clark quay where there are a lot of restaurants, clubs right next to the river.

If you are into people's photography, Orchard Road, which is a shopping belt offers opportunity to photograph beautiful / interesting people fashionably dressed on the streets.

Hope these help and have a good holiday in Singapore!

Cheers,
Eric

Peter Mellis

Singapore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:41:12 pm »

I used to visit Singapore quite often in the late 90's. As was mentioned, it's a small place with a lot of traffic. There are a large number of very modern, tall commercial buildings, if you are into geometric shapes and the like; beautiful, colorful skyline at night. Some remnants of colonial times (like Raffles) remain, but not many. There is an old section with traditional shops like the butcher shops where most things are alive (turtles, etc.) and are killed for you; the Indian section is also quite colorful. As was also mentioned, the view out to sea is one of moored ships. Whenever I was there, the sun was very bright and when it rains, you have to take cover.

When I first went there, one of my business associates (a Singaporean) told me that were only two things to do there; shop and eat. That said, it's a terrific place to eat (everything and anything) and probably best for street shooting and the urban facades, at street level. People are very nice and the food (hawker) centres are not only good for eating, but are an interesting cultural (and visual) institution. If you like to explore food, you'll love Singapore.

There is a place called the Night Zoo, that is one of the stranger things that I have seen, although not so much for photography.

LukeH

• http://
Singapore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:53 am »

Thanks for your input guys. It's given me quite a few ideas about what to shoot. I guess while always knowing Singapore was a bit ahead of other Asian places, I had an idea that it wasn't as advanced as it is. Ignorance is never bliss!! Always keen for more input and does anybody know the best place to get a photo of the cityscape at night?

Ed Blagden

Singapore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:52:18 am »

Don't forget to take a ride on the Singapore Flyer - lots of interesting shapes and sights to see.
[attachment=22805:IMG_0613.jpg]

ltphoto

Singapore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:03:12 pm »

A couple of suggestions if you are into nature photography. Yes, Singapore is very urban, but there is a surprising amount of accessible nature to photograph. In the central part of the island is Bukit Timah Nature Reserve where you can shoot Macaque monkeys. I have also seen a wide range of birds and even a very large Reticulated Python there. In the northwest part is the Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve which is great for birds. You will find a wide range of egrets, herons and kingfishers among others. In both places you will also find large monitor lizards. This is just the tip of the iceberg, but if you do not have much time those are the places I would recommend.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:04:42 pm by ltphoto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up