Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: curves display cs5  (Read 8782 times)

stamper

curves display cs5
« on: June 23, 2010, 09:19:39 am »

When I open the curves in cs5 I am unable to see the option at the bottom of the menu for < curve display options > which means that I can only see a "limited" view of the curves. eg no cancel, ok or preview. In Martin Evenings book he shows the two different views on page 325. How do I get the full menu that I was used to in CS3? TIA

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
curves display cs5
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

The full curves window is still accessible from the Photoshop menu bar under Image/Adjustments/Curves (CMD + M).
I believe what you are seeing is the curves panel as part of the adjustment panels that were added in Photoshop CS4.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:36:03 am by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:04:22 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
The full curves window is still accessible from the Photoshop menu bar under Image/Adjustments/Curves (CMD + M).
I believe what you are seeing is the curves panel as part of the adjustment panels that were added in Photoshop CS4.

Thanks. You are correct. I normally use the adjustment layer. I wonder why the difference?

BobFisher

curves display cs5
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

The Adjustments panel allows you to add different adjustment layers from one place rather than having to use the menu options or the icon at the bottom of the Layers palette.  If you want to delete the layer you can use the trash can in the Adjustments panel.  The Preview is the eye icon.  There's no need to click 'OK' any longer which speeds up the process.  The eye icon with the curved arrow takes you back one adjustment state.  The double white/black circle clips the adjustment to the single layer below it.  Basically everything you want to do with an adjustment layer is now in one place.  It's a nice change.

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 04:56:49 am »

Quote from: BobFisher
The Adjustments panel allows you to add different adjustment layers from one place rather than having to use the menu options or the icon at the bottom of the Layers palette.  If you want to delete the layer you can use the trash can in the Adjustments panel.  The Preview is the eye icon.  There's no need to click 'OK' any longer which speeds up the process.  The eye icon with the curved arrow takes you back one adjustment state.  The double white/black circle clips the adjustment to the single layer below it.  Basically everything you want to do with an adjustment layer is now in one place.  It's a nice change.

I see where you are coming from. With the old set up I liked the reset option if I made a mistake and the cancel. What you are stating is that I can still do all of this only differently. Thanks.

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:56 am »

When using CS3 there was an indicator that warned you about overexposure similar to camera raw. I miss that feature.

stephenmarsh

curves display cs5
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 07:39:08 pm »

Quote from: stamper
When using CS3 there was an indicator that warned you about overexposure similar to camera raw. I miss that feature.

Stamper, this "show clipping" feature can be found below in this CS4 help document (where "non-modal" panels were introduced).

http://tinyurl.com/showclipping

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:46:03 am »

This is what I meant.

[attachment=22939:curves.jpg]

This isn't available as an adjustment layer. The version of curves from >image> adjustments is different. On the adjustment layer the box where you tick show clipping isn't an option. In CS5 they made the curves palette different in each mode. This is why I posted the original query. I didn't realise there was a difference.

stephenmarsh

curves display cs5
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:35:07 am »

This is what I meant.

Thanks Stamper, I understood!

It appears that you did not undertand my post or the linked help document.

This isn't available as an adjustment layer. The version of curves from >image> adjustments is different. On the adjustment layer the box where you tick show clipping isn't an option. In CS5 they made the curves palette different in each mode. This is why I posted the original query. I didn't realise there was a difference.

I would invite you to look at the diagram at my link to the Adobe help doc again. Things first changed in CS4. I am aware of the differences between the modal and non-modal curve options. When using the "non-modal" adjustment layer panel for curves, the show clipping option has changed from how it works in the modal adjustment option.

It is still there, it is just different.

Notice in the help document the feature with the label "J"? Just as in levels, on an RGB file, one can hold down option/alt while dragging these "endpoint" controls and one has a clipping preview.

Additionally, one can use the curves panel options menu to turn on/off the "missing" show clipping feature.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 06:14:54 am »

Quote from: stephenmarsh
Thanks Stamper, I understood!

It appears that you did not undertand my post or the linked help document.

I would invite you to look at the diagram at my link to the Adobe help doc again. Things first changed in CS4. I am aware of the differences between the modal and non-modal curve options. When using the "non-modal" adjustment layer panel for curves, the show clipping option has changed from how it works in the modal adjustment option.

It is still there, it is just different.

Notice in the help document the feature with the label "J"? Just as in levels, on an RGB file, one can hold down option/alt while dragging these "endpoint" controls and one has a clipping preview.

Additionally, one can use the curves panel options menu to turn on/off the "missing" show clipping feature.

Sincerely,

Stephen Marsh

Stephen,
               I am sorry you have it wrong. There is no >  show clipping <  feature in a curves ADJUSTMENT layer. Please consult Martin Evenings book for the explanation. Between pages 320 and 323 he explains the functions of a curve adjustment layer and shows a few images of the curves palette. In the program there isn't a baseline to expand the options as in the Direct Curves Dialogue. I have tried and it isn't there. It wasn't helpful that you quoted CS4.

[attachment=22946:curves_2.jpg]

That is the Direct Curves Dialogue

This is the curves in an adjustment layer.

[attachment=22947:curves_3.jpg]

I have tried in vain to see the options that are available in the Direct Curves Dialogue. Martin explains that the Direct curves is the legacy from older versions and a poster above has explained that was changed in version 5. I would be most happy to apologise to you if you could show me how to get the >  Curve display options  < in an adjustment layer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:18:22 am by stamper »

stephenmarsh

curves display cs5
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 07:20:33 am »

Stephen,
               I am sorry you have it wrong. There is no >  show clipping <  feature in a curves ADJUSTMENT layer. Please consult Martin Evenings book for the explanation. Between pages 320 and 323 he explains the functions of a curve adjustment layer and shows a few images of the curves palette. In the program there isn't a baseline to expand the options as in the Direct Curves Dialogue. I have tried and it isn't there. It wasn't helpful that you quoted CS4.

I have tried in vain to see the options that are available in the Direct Curves Dialogue. Martin explains that the Direct curves is the legacy from older versions and a poster above has explained that was changed in version 5. I would be most happy to apologise to you if you could show me how to get the >  Curve display options  < in an adjustment layer.

Stamper, I am simply trying to offer you help, however if you would really like to offer an apology then it would be accepted - just as I would be happy to offer you an apology if my attempt to freely offer my time and knowledge is wasting your time.

The controls are not the same between modal and non-modal curve adjustments, however I believe that there are no lost functions, they are just presented differently.

I don't have Martin's book, however this link from Adobe CS5 help should suffice if you don't find the CS4 help to be helpful. The option is the same for CS4 or 5 when it comes to clipping preview in RGB files and adjustment options:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/u...5-1924A1A6177Ca

or

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/u...ab64-7671a.html

I just checked in CS4, there is a show clipping feature in adjustment layers using the new panel system and the help document above indicates that CS5 has the same behaviour as CS4 in this respect. I dont have CS5 in front of me as I write this reply, however I am confident that nothing has changed in this respect, going by the links above.

As mentioned in my previous post, holding down the opt/alt key just like in levels, one has a clipping preview for RGB files in the adjustment layer panel fo CS4> (see the label "J" for clipping preview in the Adobe links for CS4 or CS5).

Additionally, if one prefers to have the old modal approach while using the new non-modal panels, there is a panel addition from John Nack:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/04/using...ves_adjust.html

Here is a combo-screen shot of my own, using the standar adjustment layer panel for curves:

[attachment=22948:curves_a..._options.gif]

So even though clipping is not available as a checkbox in the adjustment panel, it is possible to call up the options for an adjustment panel and it is possible to preview clipping via the sliders.

Stephen Marsh

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:37:16 am »

Stephen,
               thanks for your time in replying.

As mentioned in my previous post, holding down the opt/alt key just like in levels, one has a clipping preview for RGB files in the adjustment layer panel fo CS4> (see the label "J" for clipping preview in the Adobe links for CS4 or CS5).

Unquote

I am familiar with this. It was the options and the ticking of the box that I was missing and lamenting about. Obviously some people like the changes and some are set in our ways. I will further explore your post and see what I can learn.

artobest

curves display cs5
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »

This thread is like something out of Lewis Carroll. I can't help myself, I have to get involved.

Stephen is right, the option for 'show clipping' is still there on a Curves Adjustment Layer. Just click on the drop-down menu at the top right of the Adjustment panel. Then check 'Show clipping for black/white points'. At least , that's how you do it on CS4.

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 03:33:36 am »

Quote from: artobest
This thread is like something out of Lewis Carroll. I can't help myself, I have to get involved.

Stephen is right, the option for 'show clipping' is still there on a Curves Adjustment Layer. Just click on the drop-down menu at the top right of the Adjustment panel. Then check 'Show clipping for black/white points'. At least , that's how you do it on CS4.

You clearly haven't read the previous post. I acknowledged that in the post above yours. My original post wasn't about this. Look at post #10 It is about the options not now being available on curves in an adjustment layer as it was in Photoshop CS3. Please re read the above posts.  

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
curves display cs5
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 03:50:25 am »

You clearly haven't read the previous post. I acknowledged that in the post above yours. My original post wasn't about this. Look at post #10 It is about the options not now being available on curves in an adjustment layer as it was in Photoshop CS3. Please re read the above posts.  

If you are talking about the fact that certain functions are now buried a bit in flyout menus and option boxes, yes...correct...CS5 is different than CS3. Most users learned how to use the non-modal adjustment layers in CS4 so CS5 wasn't substantially different. If you are claiming that the previous options are no longer available...exactly what function of CS3 are you missing in CS5? So far, you seem to be having a problem learning how to use the new adjustment layers.

stamper

curves display cs5
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:28 am »

Quote from: Schewe
If you are talking about the fact that certain functions are now buried a bit in flyout menus and option boxes, yes...correct...CS5 is different than CS3. Most users learned how to use the non-modal adjustment layers in CS4 so CS5 wasn't substantially different. If you are claiming that the previous options are no longer available...exactly what function of CS3 are you missing in CS5? So far, you seem to be having a problem learning how to use the new adjustment layers.

Jeff I have no problem using curves and adjustment layers. I have your partner's  - Martin's  - book on CS3 and CS5. Because I missed out on CS4 I missed the changes. In post #6 I lamented about showing clipping being missing. What I should have made more clear was the box that was tick-able to show clipping wasn't there. I thought after that the thread would peter out. Instead it has become overblown. In post#10 the first image that I posted shows options at the bottom of the curves. This is for direct curve editing but not available as an adjustment layer which means that the tick-able box as well as the options aren't available. Unfortunately the previous two posters didn't understand my point. Hopefully this thread will now end. It is strange how the most innocuous of remarks can become overblown and misunderstood?
Pages: [1]   Go Up