Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 1687 times)

SJ.Butel

Reflections
« on: June 21, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »

Hi,
Well i was determined not to post again until i had my monitor properly profiled and I recently got that sorted.  Anyway here is a small series of pictures of some frosty mornings that i took last week on a tramp.

Any suggestions, perhaps something you would of done differently or something that does not work for you?

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:39:55 pm by SteveButel »

Ed Blagden

Reflections
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:20:24 am »

Steve

I like Number 3 the best - it has the most balanced composition.  The reflection of the tuft of grass in the middle of the left hand peak is a bit disturbing, if it had been me I would have walked across and pulled out that tuft!

Number 2 is an almost-but-not-quite shot.  Stopping right down to f/16 or f/22 (and diffraction be damned) might have worked better, bringing the mountains into focus.  

Ed

SJ.Butel

Reflections
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
Steve

I like Number 3 the best - it has the most balanced composition.  The reflection of the tuft of grass in the middle of the left hand peak is a bit disturbing, if it had been me I would have walked across and pulled out that tuft!

Number 2 is an almost-but-not-quite shot.  Stopping right down to f/16 or f/22 (and diffraction be damned) might have worked better, bringing the mountains into focus.  

Ed
Thanks for your time and pointers Ed (again).  Some more things to think about next time I'm out.    

Lol, I've never thought much about pulling stuff out..

Cheers again for the advice.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Reflections
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:36:04 am »

I really like the frost in the grasses and the lighting in the first image.  I know you were shooting reflections, but I would have focused more on the grasses.  With the second one I probably would have shot from a higher perspective - the background is somewhat blurred out, but it overpowers the stems in front of it.  A more pure reflection with just the stem and the water would be nice.  As for the plant stem in the third, I remember a photography book from a 'few' years back where the author admitted that for his first nature image he captured an owl (live), tied it up with some string and stuck it in a tree cavity.  He didn't recommend such activity, though...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

Reflections
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:15 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
As for the plant stem in the third, I remember a photography book from a 'few' years back where the author admitted that for his first nature image he captured an owl (live), tied it up with some string and stuck it in a tree cavity.  He didn't recommend such activity, though...

Mike.

OMG!!  That's terrible.  Whoever the photographer was, he crossed a line there.  But I don't really see the implied ethical equivalence of this compared to pulling out an irritating tuft of grass though!  I suppose if you are really squeamish you could always clone it out in Photoshop.

SJ.Butel

Reflections
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:51:42 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I really like the frost in the grasses and the lighting in the first image.  I know you were shooting reflections, but I would have focused more on the grasses.  With the second one I probably would have shot from a higher perspective - the background is somewhat blurred out, but it overpowers the stems in front of it.  A more pure reflection with just the stem and the water would be nice.  As for the plant stem in the third, I remember a photography book from a 'few' years back where the author admitted that for his first nature image he captured an owl (live), tied it up with some string and stuck it in a tree cavity.  He didn't recommend such activity, though...

Mike.
Thanks Mike, I felt too that the frosty stick had a lot more potential than what i captured and i think you might of nailed why.  I will be near similar areas in the following months so will keep in mind your suggestions if a similar scene crops up again.

Quote from: Ed Blagden
OMG!!  That's terrible.  Whoever the photographer was, he crossed a line there.  But I don't really see the implied ethical equivalence of this compared to pulling out an irritating tuft of grass though!  I suppose if you are really squeamish you could always clone it out in Photoshop.
Hehe, yeah I would not mind pulling it out it just didn't occur to me .... in fact once I threw a log in the water because the scene had no foreground subject and didn't feel full enough.... felt like I cheated after and never looked at the photo.  I guess that's another subject all together though.

Here are two others from the same tramp, these are more cliché so they not be as interesting scene to some of you with long developed eyes.  For the first one i actually used a trick i learn't on a thread here about breathing (fogging them up) on the tops of your grad ND filter to create a soft effect.  Not sure if it works or not but thought i would throw it in as it's a little different.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:53:30 am by SteveButel »

shutterpup

Reflections
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

Of your second set, I prefer the simplicity of the first one. The second one just feels too busy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up