Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange/Red tint to prints  (Read 2934 times)

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
Orange/Red tint to prints
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:05 pm »

I have a serious issue with my current output - all of my prints have an orange/red tint and print slightly dark.

I've gotten around the darkness by adding a levels layer for print adjustments and bumping up the mid-range slightly. I'm not sure if this is normally expected or not - the prints are not extremely dark, and I'm comparing a lit up screen to reflected light off of paper.  I generally evaluate my prints outside in mid-day sunlight whenever possible.  

As far as the orange/red tint - it's driving me nuts.  The shift isn't wild - it's hard to notice without comparing prints to the screen, but it's definitely there. I notice it most when looking at tree bark - it appears warmer then on-screen.

Environment - Lightroom 1.1, PS4, Mac OS 10.5.8, Epson R1900, Espon Lustre Paper, Epson Lustre Profile, Colorvision Spyder 2

Usual worflow:

From PS4
Print => Let PS manage colors using Epson Lustre driver
In Epson driver => color management off, Epson Lustre driver

I've had the following theories-

- Maybe the Spyder 2 isn't up to snuff and I need to upgrade. I doubt that's it though; I have some images where I've used RGB curves to pull the color cast out of snow using RGB values to guide me. If the Spyder was the issue I assume that the screen and RGB numbers shouldn't match up.

- The canned Epson profile isn't great - need to get a custom profile made. Once again I kind of doubt the canned profile for their own paper would be that far off. I installed the latest driver a couple of months ago so I think I'm up to date.  Am I wrong?

Ideas?

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:25 am »

Have you done a nozzle check to make sure your colour isn't be affected by missing nozzles?
Phil Brown

John Rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Have you done a nozzle check to make sure your colour isn't be affected by missing nozzles?

Yes, output was normal.

Am I just expecting too much?  IE - are color shifts normal and it's up to me to compensate?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »

Wait, the snow thing is interesting. Are you saying that when you used the eye dropper on the snow, it wasn't neutral? That by the numbers it showed a red color cast, and you removed that color cast manually using the info window and then it printed properly?
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

John Rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
Wait, the snow thing is interesting. Are you saying that when you used the eye dropper on the snow, it wasn't neutral? That by the numbers it showed a red color cast, and you removed that color cast manually using the info window and then it printed properly?

I had a color cast in the highlights (most noticeably in the snow - don't remember the color, but I can check) that was perceptible on the screen and using the eyedropper.  I removed using RBG curves. The print however is showing a color cast - orange/red/yellow - basically it looks a few degrees warm.

John Rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:56:15 am »

Ok, last night I tried switching rendering intent to absolute colorimetric, and I got a cast free print.  Does this mean the Epson profile is my issue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up