Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 paper skew problem  (Read 2985 times)

mshea

Epson 3880 paper skew problem
« on: June 21, 2010, 05:44:41 pm »

Hi All,

I just purchased the Epson and I've been testing papers (Hahnemühle, Harman, Ilford, etc.) and I'm having a problem with the Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta 8.5 X 11. It prints fine until the last half inch, when the paper skews to the left and prints totally out of registration, lots of scratch marks too. This doesn't happen with any other paper, thicker or thinner, matte or glossy. I've tried various paper thickness options and Epson paper driver options, but no luck. The guys at Epson didn't have a clue and suggested I contact Hahnemühle to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Merrill

Conner999

Epson 3880 paper skew problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »

There's a similar older thread on here about a similar issue (might even be the same paper IIRC).  

If the paper has ANY curl on the trailing edge (I've tried some FAB and it had just that) or develops ANY curl (e.g. humidity) on the trailing edge, as the trailing edge passes the head, it will/can catch and skew the paper.

The problem is aggravated by the fact that the out-feed tray isn't flat with the output 'slot'. As the bulk of the printed sheet tilts downward towards the tray, it tries to lift the rear of the paper and if ANY curl is there, that curl can contact something it shouldn't and skew the sheet.

I have the 3800 and while a great printer in many ways (not so much in others), lacking vacuum hold-down it is VERY dependent on paper that is FLAT and doesn't swell under ink load to ensure no skewing or fine scratches from the $%^& pizza wheels or any of the other 1001 sharp bits on the top of the feed area.  

Try supporting the paper as it exits (some use a light piece of foam or an empty paper box) and de-curling or otherwise removing ANY curl on the edges - especially the trailing one.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:53:45 pm by Conner999 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up