Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we expect new sensors at Photokina?  (Read 21780 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Can we expect new sensors at Photokina?
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2010, 05:58:43 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I agree somewhat. But it depends on the movement of the subject - how much and how fast. Some fashion is not shot with a lot of continuous, dramatic movement. But I never really saw the Sensor Plus pixel binning as a competitor to Canon/Nikon as much as it provided an alternative. The vast majority of our customers who shoot medium format digital also shoot Canon/Nikon, depending on the situation (and we know what those situations usually are). The Sensor Plus technology allows these photographers to shoot medium format in more situations than they would otherwise. I see this as a significant benefit because if they shoot medium format, they clearly want to shoot medium format and often are restricted to the amount that they can, depending on the project. So, I don't see Sensor Plus providing the option of not using Canon/Nikon for most, but rather extending the times they would use medium format.

Steve Hendri

Well said Steve and i am one of those folks although I push it into the 35mm world type stuff a lot more often than I thought i would but it REALLY does work great. The noise levels alone in the high ISO stuff is pretty darn impressive. I never go past ISO 1600 on anything so yes there are limits here. I did break down and bought a cheap canon for a upcoming gig but nothing to do with technology reasons more with security and damage I simply don't want to take the risk with my Phase gear and I just shot a few and processed them . Let me just say how much i really appreciate my MF gear. I actually have to work at processing with this thing. ROTFLMAO
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

LKaven

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2010, 06:50:51 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I never really saw the Sensor Plus pixel binning as a competitor to Canon/Nikon as much as it provided an alternative.
Hi Steve - This is true enough today.  But I have a feeling as N&C improve their per-pixel performance, the ability to bin pixels cleanly will figure more prominently in their strategies.  For example, the D3x makes a pretty damn good low light camera that compares favorably with the D3 (but not the D3s) IF you downsample the 24.5mp files to 12mp judiciously.  

In other words, I'm not putting bets on Nikon necessarily continuing its "low pixel/high sensitivity" versus "high pixel/low sensitivity" cameras strategy.  Then again, the odds of them doing anything to alienate their Olympic shooting extravaganza photographers is next to zero, so they'd have to really deliver on performance.  

But binning and sensor+ technology looks increasingly attractive to me these days.  The cleaner the per pixel performance, the more a downsampled capture from a small-pixel camera can demonstrate the same benefits as captures from a large-pixel camera (where the sensor area is held constant).  

There seems to me some reason to try to provide medium format cameras that are capable of handling fast action in low light, and they could produce through downsampling/sensor+/what-have-you results that would exceed the 35mm DSLRs even in low light situations.  Give me an S2-sized body at max D3x prices, with a large sensor, fast capture streaming, CMOS, and able to switch roles depending upon what's asked of it.  I'll be yours for life.   And BTW, I've seen some models who can deliver 5 killer poses per second.  [My pet theory is that the nerdy models deliver more cool facial expressions per second, and that theory is worth a laugh anyway.]

Statistician

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2010, 08:31:18 am »

Quote from: dfarkas
We provided an S2 for a photographer shooting hi-end magazine fashion editorial a few weeks ago. On the first day, he shot 160GB untethered (about 1900 shots with DNG+ hi-res JPG) in a five hour period and ...
David

One shot every 9.5 seconds for 5 hours nonstop. I am impressed by the photographer more than the camera.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up