Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuttin' New  (Read 1784 times)

Rob C

Nuttin' New
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:18:04 pm »

If anyone was thinking that music videos are an invention of the MTV era, then take a peep at what was going down in '58 but in much finer style.

In fact, the entire film was way ahead of what had happened before - as far as I could tell - and I was so impressed that I went to the Cosmo in Glasgow, a small arthouse cinema, and saw it at least six times. I have no idea if the Cosmo still exists, but the only other movie I saw six times was The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and that because I was in love with Ava Gardner at the time; Susan Hayward was no reason not to go either... but they all vanished beyond hope when Bardot arrived. My last celluloid dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLsEH4csQ4

At around 2.02 mins in, there's a shot of a woman's face. It's daylight. Later, at night, she's still there during the Chuck Berry Sweet Little Sixteen bit, in at 2.47 mins - and she looks as excited and adultly thrilled as you can get. Her mouth says it all.

What an amazing life; what a treasure chest is the memory.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:18:59 pm by Rob C »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Nuttin' New
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

Bad link? There are no women in the video you linked to, though there is some nice sax playing once you get past the two minutes worth of intro.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Rob C

Nuttin' New
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:16 am »

Quote from: RobSaecker
Bad link? There are no women in the video you linked to, though there is some nice sax playing once you get past the two minutes worth of intro.

Oops!

Bad link, Rob, no; wrong link, yes.

Should have linked to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVMTwxLY7b4&feature=fvw

and the Berry link, if you want it, is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxDPUEpLVsE

But the woman has probably got bored of waiting by now and wandered off home or back to the car park...

Shame that only two musos there felt relaxed enough to join in and give Berry some backing - okay, he was just there because of misunderstanding/contractual mix-up, but wasn't he still a fellow musician, genre politics aside, up there on stage with his ass on the line? At least the audience loved him!

And I though photography was bitter enough.

;-(

Rob C

stamper

Nuttin' New
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:40 am »

In fact, the entire film was way ahead of what had happened before - as far as I could tell - and I was so impressed that I went to the Cosmo in Glasgow, a small arthouse cinema, and saw it at least six times. I have no idea if the Cosmo still exists,

Not only does it still exist it is going strong. Now called the GFT. The Glasgow Film Theatre. A mixture of foreign films and the off beat. It has two cinemas. I don't know if it had in the Cosmo days. Also a nice bar restaurant. I visit it fairly regularly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:40:35 am by stamper »

Rob C

Nuttin' New
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:29:52 am »

Quote from: stamper
In fact, the entire film was way ahead of what had happened before - as far as I could tell - and I was so impressed that I went to the Cosmo in Glasgow, a small arthouse cinema, and saw it at least six times. I have no idea if the Cosmo still exists,

Not only does it still exist it is going strong. Now called the GFT. The Glasgow Film Theatre. A mixture of foreign films and the off beat. It has two cinemas. I don't know if it had in the Cosmo days. Also a nice bar restaurant. I visit it fairly regularly.

Hi stamper - nice to know that some things still survive! In the 50s it was a single-screen thing - I don't think the concept for more existed at the time. Hell, it took all my pocket money to go once!

Another place I used to go to twice a week was the Tudor in Giffnock. It then became a supermarket - Safeway, I seem to remember - and last I heard that, too, had changed and it was something else - flats, I think. Don't tell me Rouken Glen has vanished too? No, I know it hasn't; my daughter sometimes still goes there with her family and they think of the years up to '81 when we lived just a few yards from it. I used to take our alsabrador for two one-hour walks a day there, rain, snow or sunshine. The pond also has memories for me: we shot a calendar for Barbour Threads in a single day doing pics of an Iranian girl called Jaleh (from Bobton's in London) on the water and also down around the waterfall... boy, did the creative juices flow in those early days! It never crossed our minds that anything could/would go wrong and it seldom did. How unlike today, were I leave home sometimes and wonder if whoever finds me will be able to figure out what to do with the bits. Eff me!

Rob C

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Nuttin' New
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Bad link, Rob, no; wrong link, yes.
That's what I meant.  

Shame that only two musos there felt relaxed enough to join in and give Berry some backing - okay, he was just there because of misunderstanding/contractual mix-up, but wasn't he still a fellow musician, genre politics aside, up there on stage with his ass on the line? At least the audience loved him!
Without knowing any details, I can speculate that maybe he didn't want anyone else. The more players, the harder it is to get everyone on the same page (personal experience from playing in 8-10 piece groups).
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Rob C

Nuttin' New
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:57:52 pm »

Quote from: RobSaecker
That's what I meant.  

Without knowing any details, I can speculate that maybe he didn't want anyone else. The more players, the harder it is to get everyone on the same page (personal experience from playing in 8-10 piece groups).

Rob

You might well be right, but I remember that there was some controversy at the time the film came about Berry being there at all. I don't know what would have happened today, but from my non-playing rĂ´le as a jazz fan at the time and a R'n'R one too, I do know that the popular tastes were frowned upon as rather infra dig for the jazz people to connect with, as it were. Hell, even New Orleans/Chicago old-style jazz was thought to be rather naff by the Modernistas... I doubt Berry or the others on stage would have had the least problem doing a little light jamming on such uncomplicated music as we are chatting about here.

Even as a visual effect, a stage full of embarrassed-looking guys just hanging about doing nothing looks sort of just plain wrong... I thought it a little bit cruel at the time and think the same today. But guess who had the last financial laugh?

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up