Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7880 paper feed is wasteful  (Read 4057 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
7880 paper feed is wasteful
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »

It seems as if my Epson 7880 printer is not rewinding the paper back up to the print head when loading role paper.  The paper stays in the loading position and then prints from there.  This has the result of wasting 6 or 7 inches of paper on every print.

I have searched the menus, and I can't find a possible culprit Does anyone know where I might be missing something.  I am, of course, following the printer manual paper loading procedure, so I don't know why it has stopped rewinding.

thanks
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:24:33 am »

Darn.  It sounds like nobody has any idea for this.

I guess I should try resetting everything.  I wonder if this will require me to reconfigure the network settings?

I think there may be new firmware available, but that seems less likely to solve this problem because the printer once fed paper correctly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:25:06 am by fike »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

Problem is there are a lot of variables when configuring your printer that affect the final margins -- and unless somebody is familiar with the exact habits of the 7880 or 9880, they probably won't know for certain.  I don't know what the specific margin settings on the 7880 are, but can speak to the x900 printers if they're similar.  On the x900's, you can choose either 15mm or 3mm margins in various combinations.  Next, the paper size created will dictate where that margin is measured from.  So the amount of paper "wasted"is equivalent to the margin chosen plus however much of the paper size isn't used. Next, the cutting method and and roll paper setup for borderless or banner also affects final margin placement.  So if I were to print an a 21x28 print centered on a 24x32 paper size on a 24"roll, I would have approximately 2"extra top and bottom PLUS whichever margin size I chose -- 3mm or 15mm -- and then 1.5 inches extra on each side.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:10:57 pm »

Quote from: fike
Darn.  It sounds like nobody has any idea for this.

I guess I should try resetting everything.  I wonder if this will require me to reconfigure the network settings?

I think there may be new firmware available, but that seems less likely to solve this problem because the printer once fed paper correctly.
If the paper is not being pulled back in after cutting, the only thing I can think of might be your driver setting at the computer is set to no cut, which will override the printers panel setting.

Is this a new behavior that has recently started?  Resetting to factory defaults is certainly an option and most likely you will have reconfigure the network settings afterwards.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:21 pm »

I don't think that the margins are at fault for ten extra inches of paper--over the paper size I have configured.  Wayne, I will need to check the cutter settings.  I think it is configured to cut in both the driver and the printer, except when I use canvas that I cut by hand.  The fact that it doesn't roll the paper back up to the print head would seem to be the problem, but I would like to know the cause instead of just resetting everything.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »

Quote from: fike
I don't think that the margins are at fault for ten extra inches of paper--over the paper size I have configured.  Wayne, I will need to check the cutter settings.  I think it is configured to cut in both the driver and the printer, except when I use canvas that I cut by hand.  The fact that it doesn't roll the paper back up to the print head would seem to be the problem, but I would like to know the cause instead of just resetting everything.

Exactly what size paper are you specifying and exactly what size is it spitting out if you measure it?  Then what are your margin settings as shown on the printer's control panel?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:38:06 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Inanda Images

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:26 pm »

On the 9880 print driver

Main Menu right side of window button - Roll Paper Option - Auto Cut - Normal - ensure auto rotate is checked, this takes the paper back to the edge.

This does not work for nozzle checks, I haven't figured out how to stop it wasting the first six inches of every check.

Mark Prins
Inanda Images
Whitehorse YT

jschone

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

Just use the "sheet" paper setting when loading roll paper. Once the loading is done, set it back to roll paper.

This will give you minimal paper waste. It's a" trick" I've been using for 5 years now on the 9800 and do the same on the 7880.

Jochem
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:46:36 pm by jschone »
Pages: [1]   Go Up