Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contests  (Read 4427 times)

JoeKitchen

Contests
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:01:31 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:23:11 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Gary Brown

Contests
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:36:23 pm »

Amazing. The forms are available online: Go to the 2010 PCI Design Awards — Buildings page for the contest info, and use the “Download copyright form” and “Download photo permission sheet” links at the lower right for PDFs of the forms.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Contests
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »

Quote from: Gary Brown
Amazing. The forms are available online: Go to the 2010 PCI Design Awards — Buildings page for the contest info, and use the “Download copyright form” and “Download photo permission sheet” links at the lower right for PDFs of the forms.

Professional people actually agree to this robbery?
Craig Lamson Photo

tetsuo77

Contests
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:50:09 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
This morning I woke up to find an e-mail from one of my clients asking for me to give permission to him to entire images of mine into a building contest.  Most of the time I agree with the condition if they win and are published, they will pay we a publishing fee.  So I started my research and looked over what he had sent me.  He attached two forms, and from reading, it appeared I needed to sign one and he the other.  The form I needed to sign was an image release form which in doing so would require me to give the contest holders the right to use my image not only for the purposes of the contest but also for their marketing purposes, no matter what they are, for a period of 10 years.  This was the "better" of the two.  

The paper he was to sign required him to transfer his copyright for all materials, whether they be plans or documents, to the contest holder, because "it is the policy of (Contest holder) to safeguard all author-contricuted works by copyrighting them in the name of (Contest holder)."  I of course explained what this meant to him and his business and he would never be able to use his work again for his promotion or sell a license to others.  Not to mention they are requiring us to remain liable for any lawsuit brought by the land owner.  His not considering the contest anymore.  

But that is beside the point.  It just seems all contests these day are just gimmicks designed to steal either licensing or copyrights from the owners.

I am sorry to say, but they are not gimmicks.
Far from it, they are the custom in that sector, and the industrial design sector, so far.
If you go to the very frontpage of that site, you will see there is a proud "no entry fee" announcement.

Unfortunately, this contest is very benign regarding copyright issues.
Usually, regarding building and construction, contests are PAID. Meaining you have to pay in order to be able to participate in that very contest. On top of that, were it a design contest, usually it takes more than 600 work hours to fulfill if the office is extremely efficient.

Make your own maths, but that is the very reality of that sector.
And that very reality is coming over to other sectore: competitions and bidding are going to take quite a big part of every other bussiness.

pixjohn

Contests
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:09:49 pm »

I get these type of release all the time, they even add © transfer to the contest.

When I stop laughing I cross out 80% and add 1 time use for the contest name and 1 time print right in the contest 1 time awards prestation and 1 time magazine print only. I also add a line for magazine cover and reprint usage. I have never had the contest or a client say anything about the changes.

fredjeang

Contests
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:19:42 am »

These practises are totally cheap piratery.

In any activity, there are 2 parameters involved. Giving and receiving. They have to be proportionally balanced.
A serious gallery for example does not charge any fee for exibit but takes 50 or 60% on sales.
That is perfectly understandable.
But they charge on a real sale that has actually happened.

Now, we have the margen to correct the conditions.
Everybody is free to play such a game or not.

The problem lays in the fact that if you want to go to a contest, is because you expect something in return.
The very first question should be IMO, is that worth this expense of time and energy? (regardless of the copyrights).
What is the gain of all that? and what is the gain of the contest organisers (because they also have to obtain something).

Such practises happened because the road is already built, I would say the motorway instead of road.
Pirats can prosper when there is enough potential victims ready to be abused.

Some are ready to be abused because they are desperate and beleive that they will obtain something,
yes they will, but not specially what they expected...would you blame the pirats?

Ps: one of the most recognised creative AD in Spain anounced a year ago that he will not participate any more with his team in any sort of contest.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:24:42 am by fredjeang »

Imaginara

Contests
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:23:33 am »

Quote from: pixjohn
I get these type of release all the time, they even add © transfer to the contest.

When I stop laughing I cross out 80% and add 1 time use for the contest name and 1 time print right in the contest 1 time awards prestation and 1 time magazine print only. I also add a line for magazine cover and reprint usage. I have never had the contest or a client say anything about the changes.

I think this is probably the best course of action (including the laughing bit ;D. After all, just because they sent you their favourite contract doesnt mean you have to agree to it. If they do not want to agree to YOUR terms, they will refuse to accept it and you wont enter the competition. But a competition without photographs is kind of dead

/Henrik
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:24:06 am by Imaginara »
Pages: [1]   Go Up