Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LRM library folder panel forgets last position  (Read 2235 times)

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
LRM library folder panel forgets last position
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:21:22 am »

A very basic issue that is irritating me even though it is completely benign. When I launch Lightroom (Win 7, LRM3), the folders in the Library module are open in some random way that is not related to how it was when I closed the program. I have a hierarchical structure that follows my disk structure with folders within folders. For example I have the folders structured by year. If I open 2004 and browse some files then close 2004 and open 2010 do some work on some files and then close LRM. When I launch the application again it has 2004 open and 2010 open. This is an issue if those folders are deeply nested and contain a lot of other folders. Is there something obvious that I'm missing so that LRM remembers where it was at when I close the program or is this a "feature for LRM4" ?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:20:38 pm »

Quote from: GeraldB
A very basic issue that is irritating me even though it is completely benign. When I launch Lightroom (Win 7, LRM3), the folders in the Library module are open in some random way that is not related to how it was when I closed the program. I have a hierarchical structure that follows my disk structure with folders within folders. For example I have the folders structured by year. If I open 2004 and browse some files then close 2004 and open 2010 do some work on some files and then close LRM. When I launch the application again it has 2004 open and 2010 open. This is an issue if those folders are deeply nested and contain a lot of other folders. Is there something obvious that I'm missing so that LRM remembers where it was at when I close the program or is this a "feature for LRM4" ?

I also use LR3 under Win 7, and LR always opens exactly where I left it.  If I'm in Grid view with a filter locked and one image selected, it opens in grid view with the the filter on and one image selected.  If I'm in develop, it opens in develop.  Maybe try reinstalling?  How have you set up your file management for Windows (outside of Lightrroom)?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:25:16 pm »

The random opening of folders is happening for me as well with LR3 and XP Pro. Quite aggravating, as it also occurs when synchronising folders and some other actions. Lightroom has also never been able to maintain the grid view on one monitor and loupe view on the other. I was hoping LR3 may have improved this.

GeraldB

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:47:28 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I also use LR3 under Win 7, and LR always opens exactly where I left it.  If I'm in Grid view with a filter locked and one image selected, it opens in grid view with the the filter on and one image selected.  If I'm in develop, it opens in develop.  Maybe try reinstalling?  How have you set up your file management for Windows (outside of Lightrroom)?

Mike.

With filters locked or not I still get the same behaviour. The folder list always displays from the top i.e. the first folder and all the folders that I've opened recently are open. The folder in focus is way off the screen and one needs to scroll down to find it.
I've recently re-installed lightroom 3 to hoping to cure another problem about the edit in photoshop options not working properly (it turned out that required a PS re-install to cure). So I don't think re-installing will help here.
The file management is done by creating folders and files outside of LRM and then importing them into the catalog.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Gerald

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

The file management is done by creating folders and files outside of LRM and then importing them into the catalog.

That sounds like your problem.  If you're using Lightroom and moving/creating files/folders outside of LR at the same time then Lightroom can't keep track of the changes that happen when it's not running.  If you're using Lightroom to mange your images it's generally considered best to create folders, etc. from within LR's Library module.  There are others here who could speak to this better than I can.

Mike.

GeraldB

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »

I just solved the problem. The logic LRM uses is that if a folder has any subfolder open then even if you close the top level folder (leaving lower level folders open) then when you relaunch the app it opens the top level folder down to the lower level folders left open. Makes sense actually. So the solution to this issue is to Alt Click the turner when closing the folder. This will close all lower level sub folders. On relaunch everything is displayed as expected.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:55:00 am »

Didn't know that... thanks for sharing it!

Mike.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:26:49 am »

I just solved the problem. The logic LRM uses is that if a folder has any subfolder open then even if you close the top level folder (leaving lower level folders open) then when you relaunch the app it opens the top level folder down to the lower level folders left open. Makes sense actually. So the solution to this issue is to Alt Click the turner when closing the folder. This will close all lower level sub folders. On relaunch everything is displayed as expected.

Brilliant! THANK YOU.
Pages: [1]   Go Up