Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: clouds  (Read 287324 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: clouds
« Reply #500 on: October 19, 2015, 12:11:29 am »

Interesting cloud and rainbow today on a bike ride.
IMGP2173-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

Tony Jay

« Reply #501 on: October 19, 2015, 04:38:37 am »

You are busy Matt!

Really like this one.
I am a bit of a sucker for good weather-related shots though.

Tony Jay

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #502 on: October 19, 2015, 10:10:44 am »

You are busy Matt!

Really like this one.
I am a bit of a sucker for good weather-related shots though.

Tony Jay

Thanks Tony! I do like to get out and shoot and/or ride/hike/ski as often as I can. It offsets all the desk time I have to spend during the weekdays.
I love these kinds of storms that come through here in the fall so I'm always on the lookout for them. The rainbow was a bonus on this one!
-MattB

Michael West

« Reply #503 on: October 26, 2015, 10:30:51 pm »

Michael West

« Reply #504 on: October 26, 2015, 10:34:00 pm »

John R

« Reply #505 on: October 26, 2015, 10:42:50 pm »

Very nice work on the clouds Michael. Abstract and artistic qualities in both images.

JR

Michael West

« Reply #506 on: October 26, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »

Very nice work on the clouds Michael. Abstract and artistic qualities in both images.

JR

Thank you.

I think I will switch back to using my old 50mm lens for a few days. I sense the need for the simple approach that allowed me to see the images in these photos.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #507 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:31 am »

That last one is superb

francois

« Reply #508 on: October 27, 2015, 05:45:47 am »

I also love the last one. The shape of the cloud and the wooded top of the hill are very similar.
Francois

Michael West

« Reply #509 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:42 pm »

I also love the last one. The shape of the cloud and the wooded top of the hill are very similar.

Thank you very much!

Michael West

« Reply #510 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »

Michael West

« Reply #511 on: November 02, 2015, 06:13:24 pm »

They may not look much like clouds, but they are.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2015, 10:25:10 am »

Fine!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2015, 11:55:24 am »

Looks rather less arid over yonder. Not seen a rainbow effect quite like that one before other than at a waterfall. Which come to think of it, underlines my first sentence I guess.  ;D
What the biking like there Matt? Looks very different to what I'm used to, as trails are often in wooded areas or with more vegetation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:03:20 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #514 on: November 06, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »

Looks rather less arid over yonder. Not seen a rainbow effect quite like that one before other than at a waterfall. Which come to think of it, underlines my first sentence I guess.  ;D
What the biking like there Matt? Looks very different to what I'm used to, as trails are often in wooded areas or with more vegetation.

I live in the Gunnison at 7700 Ft at the valley floor. It's pretty dry down here but we are surrounded by much higher peaks and high alpine terrain (it's behind that storm in my photo). The town of Crested Butte is 28 Miles away and it is a full high alpine environment and 1000 Ft. higher up that end of the valley and goes up to 12-14,000 Ft peaks.
So here at this end it's high desert style riding, kind of like Fruita if you have ever ridden there. The trail system is called Hartman Rocks and there's close to 100 Mi of singletrack in short named and graded sections that can be linked for almost limitless combinations with another 100+ Miles of jeep trails for additional options. It's considered to be a world class trail system. Crested Butte is better known and has 100's of miles of high alpine riding so it's nice to have the variety. I moved here for the skiing and stayed for the cycling! I ride these trails from my house after work on summer evenings and it's great. Road biking isn't bad here either but but there are a lot more options and variety for MTB.

A few Hartman Rocks scenes for context (with clouds to stay somewhat on topic).

IMGP9187-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

We climb that big cone shaped mountain and ski that chute down the front when conditions are favorable.
IMGP7029-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

Lots of little technical granite sections. Great traction on that stuff but it tears you up if you fall on it.
IMGP4504-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

Edit to add:
Crested Butte riding is more like this:
IMGP3127 by Matt Burt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:15:45 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #515 on: November 06, 2015, 03:29:35 pm »

And very pretty ones, at that.

Jeremy

Michael West

« Reply #516 on: November 06, 2015, 03:54:45 pm »

And very pretty ones, at that.

Jeremy

the thrill of capturing an image of something I have never seen before has yet to fade.

Thank you very much.

jjj

« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2015, 05:03:05 pm »

I live in the Gunnison at 7700 Ft at the valley floor. It's pretty dry down here but we are surrounded by much higher peaks and high alpine terrain (it's behind that storm in my photo). The town of Crested Butte is 28 Miles away and it is a full high alpine environment and 1000 Ft. higher up that end of the valley and goes up to 12-14,000 Ft peaks.
So here at this end it's high desert style riding, kind of like Fruita if you have ever ridden there. The trail system is called Hartman Rocks and there's close to 100 Mi of singletrack in short named and graded sections that can be linked for almost limitless combinations with another 100+ Miles of jeep trails for additional options. It's considered to be a world class trail system. Crested Butte is better known and has 100's of miles of high alpine riding so it's nice to have the variety. I moved here for the skiing and stayed for the cycling! I ride these trails from my house after work on summer evenings and it's great. Road biking isn't bad here either but but there are a lot more options and variety for MTB.
When can I visit?  ;)

I'm recall reading lots about Crested Butte when reading US bike magazine and I've seen the trails at Fruita from when folk first started posting trail rides online.
I moved to Sheffield for University and stayed for the cycling, nightlife + culture. I live 5-8 minute ride from about 7 woods [it's a very green city] which then lead out into the Peak District. Not quite as high as anything you have, but lots of climbing wherever you go. The Tour De France came through here last year and the route completely blew the peloton apart and Peak District did the same thing to the Tour Of Britain in August this year. We have the odd World Champion too as Steve Peat is a local lad and trained on one of the DH trails I built for a national race, Tracey Mosley who is now doing the Enduro circuit came here for Uni and the riding.
The main rock around here is also quite abrasive as it's gritstone, Millstone Grit in fact, so called as millstones for grinding flour were made from it as it was well....gritty. You often come across mill stones that never quite made it to a mill out on the Edges, which is where they were carved out of the rock face in situ. See shot below

This shot may not seem like your usual cloud pic. It was however taken inside one. We had some really odd weather last week, blue skies and warm sunshine in city centre and then clouds about a kilometer from centre just sitting at ground level and turning day into almost night.

jjj

« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »

Some dramatic clouds shortly before getting rained on whilst out on a ride on Burbage Edge.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #519 on: November 06, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »

When can I visit?  ;)

I'm recall reading lots about Crested Butte when reading US bike magazine and I've seen the trails at Fruita from when folk first started posting trail rides online.
I moved to Sheffield for University and stayed for the cycling, nightlife + culture. I live 5-8 minute ride from about 7 woods [it's a very green city] which then lead out into the Peak District. Not quite as high as anything you have, but lots of climbing wherever you go. The Tour De France came through here last year and the route completely blew the peloton apart and Peak District did the same thing to the Tour Of Britain in August this year. We have the odd World Champion too as Steve Peat is a local lad and trained on one of the DH trails I built for a national race, Tracey Mosley who is now doing the Enduro circuit came here for Uni and the riding.
The main rock around here is also quite abrasive as it's gritstone, Millstone Grit in fact, so called as millstones for grinding flour were made from it as it was well....gritty. You often come across mill stones that never quite made it to a mill out on the Edges, which is where they were carved out of the rock face in situ. See shot below

This shot may not seem like your usual cloud pic. It was however taken inside one. We had some really odd weather last week, blue skies and warm sunshine in city centre and then clouds about a kilometer from centre just sitting at ground level and turning day into almost night.

Sounds like some good riding there too! Lovely photos, and the millstone one is extra nice!
We get the USA Pro Challenge pro road race through here every couple of years. I got to be an embedded photographer on the back of a motorcycle in the last one which was a real thrill (and hard!). I've also been in team and press cars for that race which are a little less intense but still pretty exciting.
-MattB
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 47   Go Up