Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: double sided paper for book dummy  (Read 1796 times)

John Sarsgard

double sided paper for book dummy
« on: June 18, 2010, 08:03:36 am »

Looking for double sided paper for doing book dummies.  Needs to be smooth, luxurious, but not too thick.  The paper Aperture magazine uses is just right.  I print with a 3800, on baryta papers for photographs, so something that could use PK ink would be great, what with the waste associated with switching to MK and back.  Tried Red River Zeppelin, and Adorama's Projet, both semigloss or luster.  Both are too thin and buckle too much, and the surface is a bit mottled.  Very smooth matt would be OK, but would like to resist using the MK inks if possible.  Ideas?  Thanks!

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:37:06 am »

Quote from: John Sarsgard
Looking for double sided paper for doing book dummies. Needs to be smooth, luxurious, but not too thick. The paper Aperture magazine uses is just right. I print with a 3800, on baryta papers for photographs, so something that could use PK ink would be great, what with the waste associated with switching to MK and back. Tried Red River Zeppelin, and Adorama's Projet, both semigloss or luster. Both are too thin and buckle too much, and the surface is a bit mottled. Very smooth matt would be OK, but would like to resist using the MK inks if possible. Ideas? Thanks!

I haven't printed it yet, but Red River makes another option. Try their 65lb. Premium Gloss Duo. It is 265gsm and I just looked in my still-to-be-tested sample box and it has only the slightest texture in the base layer.

You can filter my Inkjet Paper List (http://www.danecreekfolios.com/inkjet-paper-list/) by the double-sided column to get a list of ones I've tried, along with their weight and texture. All the ones I've tested so far are matte, with the exception of Lumijet's Glossy Two Sides which is discontinued.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

petermarrek

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:33 am »

Recently purchased some INKPRESS DUO MATTE 80 from Shades of Paper 13"x33' roll Nice

John Sarsgard

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:07:36 pm »

Thanks to you both.  Neil, how glossy is the Red River duo gloss?  More like satiny or really shiny?

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

Thanks to you both. Neil, how glossy is the Red River duo gloss? More like satiny or really shiny?

Shiny with a capital "S"!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

jschone

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »

For a dummy, just stick one side to the other. Epson proofing paper is what I use, comes pretty close to the Aperture book style that you're after. Best way is to make a cmyk proof through a RIP.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:36:02 pm »

Thanks to you both.  Neil, how glossy is the Red River duo gloss?  More like satiny or really shiny?

They sell relatively inexpensive sample packs.  You might wish to give one a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up