Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: web aspect ratio display dilema  (Read 7708 times)

fredjeang

web aspect ratio display dilema
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:52:53 am »

Hi,

I'm starting to compile material for building my professional website and I'm facing a dilema.
Should I display the pics with their original aspect ratio?
As I have different systems, I got 3/2, 4/3, 16/9...
Or should I display the pic with their real prints dimensions aspect ratio?

Most of my works is art-gallery orientated, so prints is the key but some are also assignments.
My logical idea would be to display the pics at their print size except in the case of assignments.
Does it sounds logical?

Your thoughts on the matter highly appreciated.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 10:10:13 am »

Hi Fred,

I would not change the aspect ratio on any images for the web. I think you want them to look as much as possible like your finished product, except much smaller for the web.

So I agree with your idea: "My logical idea would be to display the pics at their print size except in the case of assignments."

If the assignment photos look much different from the gallery prints, I would put them in separate sections of the website so each section looks internally consistent.

I look forward to seeing your site when it's up.

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:53:58 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Hi Fred,

I would not change the aspect ratio on any images for the web. I think you want them to look as much as possible like your finished product, except much smaller for the web.

So I agree with your idea: "My logical idea would be to display the pics at their print size except in the case of assignments."

If the assignment photos look much different from the gallery prints, I would put them in separate sections of the website so each section looks internally consistent.

I look forward to seeing your site when it's up.

-Eric
I think that must be right. If you change the aspect ratio, you change the crop, which presumably you have made exactly as you want it (while mentally apologising to Russ as you did) and hence which you don't want to change.

I join Eric in looking forward to seeing your site. Can I make an early plea for navigation using arrow keys?

Jeremy

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I think that must be right. If you change the aspect ratio, you change the crop, which presumably you have made exactly as you want it (while mentally apologising to Russ as you did) and hence which you don't want to change.

I join Eric in looking forward to seeing your site. Can I make an early plea for navigation using arrow keys?

Jeremy
The site will be 100% html and yes, arrow keys are enabled, even a background switcher if you want to dim the lights. (the structure exists, I'm filling it for the moment with my street shots)

Many thanks Eric and Jeremy for your advices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up