Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting to electronic book format  (Read 1541 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Converting to electronic book format
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:08 am »

Anyone else struggling with getting your self-published photo books converted to a consumable electronic format, like epub or similar?
I'm using InDesign for book design.
With the iPad out, and other similar devices coming down the pike, e-book sales should start picking up.
My first attempts with converting to epub met with some might ugly formatting, large empty spaces, photos clumped at bottom. I since followed a tutoral on the Adobe inDesign site, but I'm looking for others who might be attempting to do the same, so we can pool our experience.

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:56 am »

Quote from: soboyle
Anyone else struggling with getting your self-published photo books converted to a consumable electronic format, like epub or similar?
I'm using InDesign for book design.
With the iPad out, and other similar devices coming down the pike, e-book sales should start picking up.
My first attempts with converting to epub met with some might ugly formatting, large empty spaces, photos clumped at bottom. I since followed a tutoral on the Adobe inDesign site, but I'm looking for others who might be attempting to do the same, so we can pool our experience.
I really can't help you but I share your struggle with the ePub conversions. I tried InDesign and other less capable tools without much success.
Francois

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:36:37 pm »

This link is interesting, and sums up the current situation very well, considering it's coming from David Blatner.
http://indesignsecrets.com/from-indesign-t...view-part-2.php

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »

Another helpful page of links on the indesignsecrets blog.
The gist of all this is that there is no one right way to format for the ipad at this point, everyone is trying different things to see if it will work. Adobe is promising some new software later this year - perhaps an upgrade to indesign CS5 - to simplify formatting and exporting for these new devices.

http://indesignsecrets.com/this-week-in-in...s-number-32.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up