Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output resolution printing from LR to HP9180  (Read 1298 times)

Ed Blagden

Output resolution printing from LR to HP9180
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:01:48 am »

Hi

This is probably a silly question which should be posted in the Beginners Forum but there seem to be more experts here.

I print direct from Adobe Lightroom 2 to a HP9180.  I remember reading that for Epson printers one should res the print output to a whole divisor of the printer's native resolution of 1440, i.e. 180, 206, 240, 288, 360 or 480.  My question is, is this also true for printing to the HP9180, or is there another set of magic numbers I should be using?  Or do I not have to worry about this, and just print at a number at or above the native resolution of the image?  The documentation for the printer doesn't seem to have anything to say about this.

Second question, related to the first.  When I was watching the LuLa Tutorial for LR2, there is a discussion about the best output resolution to choose in relation to the native resolution of the image.  Schewe says that, contrary to previous best practice, it is recommended to upres the image by around 50%, to the nearest magic number.  So for example if I had an image with a native resolution of (say) 228dpi, then the advice would imply upressing to 288 or 360.  However, the whole discussion in the video is very tentative, with Schewe indicating that they were still thinking about it.  Two years on, what is the received wisdom?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ed

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:07:26 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
Or do I not have to worry about this, and just print at a number at or above the native resolution of the image?
I'd vote for this solution.
In my experience (epson R1800), seconded by some other (much more knowledgeable than me), the "magic numbers" don't make much if anything at all for photos (for specialty targets that's another story).

[...] it is recommended to upres the image by around 50%, to the nearest magic number.
That may depend on how your driver performs interpolation, especially for lower resolutions.
My R1800 does nearest-neighbour, and so if image resolution is under 180dpi (or 240dpi if I'm a bit too anal about it) I must upsize with LR not to get jaggies.

Test for yourself : print a bit of an image with enough details at various resolutions, using or not LR upsizing, to see what you can get. See http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-your-eyes.html eg for a test methodology.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:08:01 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:34:17 am »

Quote from: Ed Blagden
Hi

This is probably a silly question which should be posted in the Beginners Forum but there seem to be more experts here.

Ed

Read this thread and where it says 360 or 720 PPI for Epsons substitute that with 300 and 600 and possibly 1200 PPI for the B9180:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t41974.html

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Ed Blagden

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:09:19 am »

Thanks guys - the consensus seems to be that the "magic numbers" don't make a great deal of difference, so I won't sweat it in future..

I'm still intrigued by Jeff Schewe's comment on the LR2 about how up-ressing 50% above native produces better results... I haven't seen much further discussion about this (maybe I haven't looked hard enough).  If you are reading this, Jeff, what are your thoughts now?

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up